3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Dashboard Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dashboard Electrical Problems

New to this forum...hopefully this is not a question seen a hundred times before...my earlier searches within were unsuccessful.

I have a 1990 Maxima, excellent shape but the dashboard guages and displays are starting to have fits and seizures.

The speedometer works well only intermittently. I'll travel along at any speed and the needle will pin itself either at 0 or 130 mph...and stay there until whatever time it sees fit. Sometimes it dances back and forth across a 40 mph range. Turning off the car and restarting sometimes works.

The odometer and trip odometer are also intermittent in operating. For no apparent reason, they'll both stop rolling at the same time. At least they stop in sync..not one or the other. I've tried to relate it to the speedometer spasms...but haven't tied it together yet, but I'm not ruling it out.

Also, dashboard clock blacks out for extended periods of time. When it does flash back on, it at least keeps accurate time...just won't let me see it for a while.

Sound system is screwed up to. Right front speaker will scream like a static banshee or not work at all. It is an aftermarket Clarion CD plugged into the factory unit auxiliary plug ( to avoid the $120 Bose adapter cable ) I don't think it's related to the dash...but, interestingly enough, if I step on the brake pedal when the static wail is on...I can change the pitch of the static's tone.

I imagine I'll have to suck up and visit my dealer. I just hoped someone might say that it's just the "foozle fuse", or "supply a 12 pound strike with a ballpeen hammer to the glovebox button" or something magical.

Thanks for letting me vent. If someone knows magic, I look forward to hearing from them.