3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

5 Speed Transmision

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 01:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

5 Speed Transmision

Need some help please...My '92 SE's 5 speed transmission froze up and I am thinking of replacing/repairing it. A local shop, not transmission shop quoted replacing w/ a used one about $1700. They based the need for replacement by opening up the drain plug and seeing metal shavings. I am surprized I am having any problems as some trans bearings and original clutch were replaced a few thousand miles back. It's frozen in 2nd or 3rd gear. I can clutch it and move forward.

Anyone rebuild one of these? Is a limited slip differential an issue if I look for a replacement?

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:17 PM

before you go and do that, sell me the speed sensor!! I need it man.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:22 PM

I have mine apart right now...provided you have a Nissan repair manual and are mechanically inclined it's not too difficult. I guessing your problem is with shift forks/shafts or the selector assembly. By 'frozen do you mean you physically can not put the car in any other gear (apart from 2nd or 3rd)?
Old 08-18-2003, 08:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Roco
I have mine apart right now...provided you have a Nissan repair manual and are mechanically inclined it's not too difficult. I guessing your problem is with shift forks/shafts or the selector assembly. By 'frozen do you mean you physically can not put the car in any other gear (apart from 2nd or 3rd)?
Yes, the shifter will not come out of gear. A friend of mine said that most drain plugs are magnetized so that it would not be unusual to have metal shavings on the plug if you were to open it.
Are you saying that you would rebuild the trans? If so would you use new parts from a dealer? Thanks!
Old 08-18-2003, 08:55 PM

Dude this happened to me. Check out the Linkage. I got guaranteed used linkage for 75 bucks, drove a 3300 mile road trip on it with no problems. Bonz had some linkage problems too. The Linkage goes bad and instead of letting it drop into one gear it kinda tries for them all and gets stuck in gear.(mine was in 2nd) Hope that helps.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Joe92SE

Yes, the shifter will not come out of gear. A friend of mine said that most drain plugs are magnetized so that it would not be unusual to have metal shavings on the plug if you were to open it.
Are you saying that you would rebuild the trans? If so would you use new parts from a dealer? Thanks!

If you're comfortable removing the trans then your are not too far away (labour and ability wise) from at least removing the trans cover and seeing whats going on for yourself. Worst case...you plunk the cover back on and send it out for repair. Again, I would strongly recommend you have a Nissan service manual and review it before you do this. Working with the shift forks/rods and internal linkage is not that hard. I would not recommend replacing bearings as special tools and shimming are required.
Most 12 year old cars will have little gritty bit of metal floating around in the oil.
Before you start all this, double check and make sure this is not a external problem. Try disconnecting the shift linkage at the trans. The linkage from the shifter should move freely.
I do have some internal trans pics if you need them. Good Luck.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:55 PM

Heres an odd question for you..... You had metal shavings so my next question is have you done alot of burnouts where only one wheel was spinning, or drive in the snow at all? Rain, anything where you would spin the tires quickly. If so there is a chance that a piece of our spider gears snapped off and is lodged under the shift fork. It prevents free movement of the parts. There fore locking you in gear. I would take the case off and clean it up, look for chunks of metal (not big). Then see if you can move everything freely. Debug the inside and it may go awhile troubl free. This is my past experience.......... Maybe helpful