3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

can't remove center nut on strut

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 11:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

can't remove center nut on strut

I need some help here, I remember seeing a post a while back about this. Since the search feature is off, I'll will most definitely need your help guys.

I noticed when I hit a bump or hole in the road (unavoidable), I hear a rattling noise. It only comes from the drivers side of the car. I changed my ball joints, cv shaft, new brakes and every thing is torqued down right.

Today I decided to check out the noise. Something told me to check out the center nut on the strut. Took out my wrench and checked to see how much play was there. It moved!! and moved and move, but never tightened or loosened when I tried to loosen it.

Here the ? : Does anyone know how to get it off, I plan on putting some KYB's on it soon.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:13 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: can't remove center nut on strut

Originally posted by Nmax92
I need some help here, I remember seeing a post a while back about this. Since the search feature is off, I'll will most definitely need your help guys.

I noticed when I hit a bump or hole in the road (unavoidable), I hear a rattling noise. It only comes from the drivers side of the car. I changed my ball joints, cv shaft, new brakes and every thing is torqued down right.

Today I decided to check out the noise. Something told me to check out the center nut on the strut. Took out my wrench and checked to see how much play was there. It moved!! and moved and move, but never tightened or loosened when I tried to loosen it.

Here the ? : Does anyone know how to get it off, I plan on putting some KYB's on it soon.
For one, the search feature isn't off.... it's here!!

Now, as for your question, you can probably just use a "nut splitter" to cut the nut off. You can get another one (as well as the splitter) at Home Depot, Menards, Ace Hardware, or whatever hardware store is in your area.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: can't remove center nut on strut

Originally posted by Nmax92

sounds like you have a worn upper strut mount.

the nut is supposed to turn..it'll turn with the strut piston. you DO NOT want to loosen that nut without compressing the spring.

if you plan on doing the struts then i would wait until you do struts to mess with it. to get the nut off when you compress the spring use an impact wrench. if not see if the center of the strut piston is a hex shaped so you can put a hex wrench in and hold it while you use a box wrench and turn the nut out.

nut splitter won't work...the area is too recessed to get a splitter to it.