3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Max and the Circuit Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 02:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Max and the Circuit Mystery

Hi All....This reduced for prime time version of my Maxima Mystery, starts off with a belief that there is a low grade short somewhere(my instincts feel it is under the dash)

In an effort to seek it out, I followed a test procedure from my Haynes Manual; which states ‘a short can be isolated by disconnecting one of the battery cables and connecting a test light across that battery terminal(-) to the removed cable’.

Of course I turned all accessories off, key is off, and yes the doors were closed. If the test light goes 'ON' it would indicate that power is flowing somewhere(?) completing the circuit(indicating the presence of a short.)
The mystery thickens because after pulling out every one of the fuses, under dash, plus 3 more in-line fuses that I believed represented the 3rd party alarm(which seems to be working fine BTW) I still see the lamp glow. Another odditity is when first establishing the connection with the test light across the terminals - one can hear a super brief and faint chirp come from an alarm horn.

So my deduction is, there must be a circuit that is still allowing power to flow Or else there’s a wicked spell on my ride?
Any ideas onr solutions?
Old 09-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

not every thing in the car is fused there are fusable links in the harness which provide the stater with power i would also try taking the fuses out of the alarm there should be atleast 1 by the alarms brain and also try disconecting the starter and alternator but your right the test light should go completely out but it may take a few seconds to recharge all the caps in the car
Old 09-02-2003, 03:06 PM

i just did this on my car and the test light stayed barely lite like as in i could see the wire glowing inside but as soon as i opened the door it went on full blast so i dont know if i also have a slight leak someware or if this is normal
Old 09-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Comparing [COLOR=red]APPLES[/COLOR] & [COLOR=orange]ORANGES[/COLOR] ?

Originally Posted by subs1000w
i just did this on my car and the test light stayed barely lite like as in i could see the wire glowing inside but as soon as i opened the door it went on full blast so i dont know if i also have a slight leak someware or if this is normal
Thanks for your feedback......
but can u please clarify, did u disarm the fusible links when u tested youre max? or did u pull any fuses?

I would agree that I could also see the filament glow too, but would have to eyeball the difference a door makes. I dont know if I would describe it as 'barely lite' though. (Can't judge if we are comparable or different)
A thought: If u rated the full blast glow at 10 when the door is open what would you rate the barely lite filament at?
Old 09-02-2003, 05:53 PM

no i dint touch any fuses or anything and on a scale of 1 to 10 id say a 1.5

but on a side note i tested the power wire going to my amp and the light wasnt on at all