3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

i hear a knocking noise form the engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 12:48 PM

i hear a knocking noise form the engine!!

i need help u guys! maybe yall can tell me what is going on? when my engine is cold i hear a knocking from the engine but it goes away but when my engine is warmed up the oil light comes on and i hear a knocking noise form it again. and i was just wondering if that was the oil pump that went bad? or could it be something else?? oh yea i have one more question but please dont chew me out for it cuz i know it probably has been asked about 100 times already. the Vq engine is what the 95 and up has right?? and can that engine fit on the 3rd gen, and also can i use the 5spd of an SE like a 95-96 onto the 3rd gen?? sorry for asking that question but i was just curious about it. and thanks.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:56 PM

As for your knocking and oil light, you do have a BIG problem. From what it sounds like, it could be the oil pump; however, I have never heard of them failing before this post.

How does your oil look? Is it very dark and thick? What about your oil filter? What brand do you normally use? How often do you change your oil? Have you noticed any oil leaks or the smell of burning oil? All of these are pertinent questions that need to be answered before a fully qualified answer can be given to you. Sorry.

Now, as for the VQ retrofit: NO. Probably with enough money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and time, you could; however, you would darn near have to rewire the entire car. As for motor mounts and fitment issues, that is a complete different story altogether.

Fitting a 4th Gen 5 or 6 speed to an existing VG (as what you have), again, I believe the answer is no, but I am not to sure. There are other more MI (Maxima Intelligent) people here that can better answer that question. But, I believe that I read in a previous post that you cannot do it.

Whew, :blah:
Old 09-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

no, the tranny bolt patterns are different.

This is for the VE but the bolt patterns are the same as the VG.

This is for the VQ engine.

that hole at the top of the VQ tranny is for the starter.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:12 PM

That should be posted in the FAQ section. Good reply mtcookson!
Old 09-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanks. I'll ask a mod if that would ok.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:09 PM

im pretty sure that it is the oil pump my oil looks good and i dont smell burning oil or anything like that. but im gonna go and get it checked out soon, at the mean time im using my parents car cuz im not blowing the motor.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

Do an oil pressure check. VGs are known for slowly losing upper valvetrain oil pressure due to the passages getting clogged over time. That eventually ruins the upper valvetrain and seizes the engine. Has the oil been changed regularly? When you take off the oil cap, does valvetrain look clean and bright or dark and varnished?
Old 03-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

CAn somebody help me.... I was wondering if its possible to change my boring Auto 92 max se to 5 speed. ??? Thanx
Old 03-06-2004, 07:15 PM
mod or sell?

yes, it is but please start a new thread on it.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:25 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by DrTouch
CAn somebody help me.... I was wondering if its possible to change my boring Auto 92 max se to 5 speed. ??? Thanx
yes u can just get a doner car (or tranny). ill continue this more in a new post.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a 1990 nissan maxima i want to drop a different motor into it!

Hey guys i want to drop a different motor into my 1990 maxima but i dont know where to start i would like to be able to do it for kinda cheap and with as little work as possible and get the most horsepower possible plz someone help me i dont know where to start with doing this swap
Old 01-12-2006, 01:43 AM
- Product of Maxima.org -

Look guys, (newbies) If you want to get along on the org, you're gona have to:

1.) stop jacking posts.
2.) read the stickies and other pertinent imformation when signing up
3.) stop jacking posts.
4.) go to the test forum to get your posts up if you have to so you can post your OWN NEW thread!

Please take the time to do these things, or you might make the wrong person angry, and could possibly be banned from the .org, and i would hate to see other 3rd gen lovers being banned for simply not reading the rules before posting!! Just do what's right, be courteous, and youll get along fine!