3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Questions about strut/springs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2001, 07:24 PM

I want to firm up and lower my ride, but I wanted to get some advice from all the experts (you) out there. I was looking at the eiback/tokiko combo, but I heard in previous posts that the tokikos wear out and go soft after 2 years or so. Everybody loves Konis but they are pricey besides the difficult installation of the adjustable inserts. People have recommended not lowering the car more than 1" (is that what the eibachs do?) but I measured my wheel/fender gap and it was about 2 1/2". I would think I want it lowered more than 1" drop so the wheels look fairly 'tucked'. I don't want to scrape going over speed bumps, I don't want to compromise alignability, I don't want to wear out the insides of my tires(is there camber correction kits for 3rd gen?) and I don't want to mess up my cv joints from the angles from the tranny to the wheel. I plan on getting 17 x 7 1/2" wheels with 225-45-17 tires. I want a semi modded look that handles well, but yet is fairly comfortable and NVH is kept to reasonable levels. I liked Jeff92SE's setup for the handling and the ride quality but his car doesn't seem to be lowered as much as I want mine lowered. I have a stillen kit for my car as well. so here's my questions.
How much/where do I get eibach springs?
Whats the drop on them? (I heard 1")
Will they burn out the stock shocks?
How much are tokikos/where can I get them?
Will they last my car's lifetime and continue to give me better than stock performance with the eibachs?
Whats your opinions on the maximum you can reasonably drop the car w/o causing probs?
How much are Konis/where can I find them?
Can I adjust them to give me a softer or a sportier ride based on my current preference?
What will cause me alignment/rubbing problems as well as susp. travel probs.?
Are there camber correction plates/will these be necc. for a 1" drop?

I want the best of all worlds: way better than stock handling, fairly nice ride(don't mind firmer, but I don't want to feel every tiny road imperfection), and the good looks of less fender gap, w/ no negative side effects.

Any of your experiences will be greatly valued here; thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-2001, 07:49 PM

personally I think the lower the better. I have some 2 inch sprint lowering springs (not installed yet) and I am planning on driving winters with them. I do not have a body kit though. for struts I think I may go with kyb's not sure yet though. I saw a set of tokicos on ebay for $275.00 brand new you may want to look into. I have heard of tokicos getting "soft" after 6 months of use, but I have also heard of people being very satisfied with them. the eibachs will lower your car about 1.5", intrax 1.75", sprint 2", suspension techniques im not sure but I think 1.75". As for the camber kit I'm not sure where to buy one or what to buy but I will be needing one. I was going to rely on maxima.org to tell me which one to buy but no one seems to know.
Old 02-12-2001, 08:32 PM

I would like to know about the same stuff as he would so If any one could respond to this it would be great...
Ow and I heard a while ago that a company called RS Racing made springs for the 3rd gen.. I don't know though....
Old 02-12-2001, 10:01 PM

eibach 1.25"
susp. tech. 1.5"
intrax 1.75"
sprint 2.0"
Old 02-13-2001, 06:20 AM

Go for Eibach if you want the best springs for Handling

H&R is supposed to be very good as well but 1/4" lower and a bit softer too.

As far as I am conerned the other springs are more for Lowering/looks than Handling.

If you go for the Eibachs you shouldnt need any sort of camber kit, they dont lower you enough to necessitate it.

As far as Struts, the Tokicos are actually supposed to be pretty good for the 3rd gens, much stiffer than the 4th gens. Of course the Konis are better and adjustable, so if you can afford it the go for it!

Of course I heard from Kaleb a couple months back that Tokico was going to have their adjustables available for the 3rd gens soon? Id like to know that myself of course.
Old 02-13-2001, 07:18 AM
garfo

I don't think the sprint springs are a 2 inch drop, I think its only a 1.8. I was the young guy with the "Champagne" 1990 maxima at the meet at red robin Czar. I just installed the intrax springs over this last weekend and am EXTREMELY happy with them. I would suggest getting the konis in the front, because that is by far the most important area, and the tokicos in the rear since that doesn't matter too much. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it on the 17th so I can't show off Also all of this isn't too hard to install, especially if you've done it before. Hope that helps.