3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wierd button under my ashtray?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 02:03 PM

What is the toggle switch AT C/P comfort and power? What happens each way?
Old 02-13-2001, 02:12 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Its Power / Comfort shifting

Ok if its set to P= it give a quicker shift ratio and thats better for more "sporty driving"
If its on comfort= its for regular driving.
If its in the middle it will stay on comfort unless you accelerate really fast" hit the gas real hard" then it will switch to Power and will automatically switch back to comfort. I would just leave it in the middle you get better gas mil. if its on comfort so i think the middle is the best spot when not racing.
Old 02-13-2001, 02:13 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

you should know better then to post without searching first!!!! but since im a nice guy ill give ya the low down, power is going to increse shift points and shift at hight RPM'S thus making the car faster wiht more pick up but less gas mileage, now the comfort mode shifts sooner and at less RPM's making it more gas efficient but slower, teh middle switch lets the engine decide for itself what mode it wants to be in, if you floor it it will go to power if your crusing it will be in comfort.
was that an alright explination? i always got mine on power unless im on a long drive and i usually have my O/D off for added pep too
Old 02-13-2001, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by maxse91
you should know better then to post without searching first!!!! but since im a nice guy ill give ya the low down, power is going to increse shift points and shift at hight RPM'S thus making the car faster wiht more pick up but less gas mileage, now the comfort mode shifts sooner and at less RPM's making it more gas efficient but slower, teh middle switch lets the engine decide for itself what mode it wants to be in, if you floor it it will go to power if your crusing it will be in comfort.
was that an alright explination? i always got mine on power unless im on a long drive and i usually have my O/D off for added pep too
once and for all when do you use the o/d button? what are the benefits of leaving it on or off?
Old 02-13-2001, 02:46 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

ok heres the deal, you shoudl mess wiht it one day too so you can see for yourself, but when its off your car will not go into overdrive, all overdrive is is a long gear that is for cruising, gets good gas mileage and is smooth. so its alot more sporty to turn it off when driving aggresive. your car will always be in gear. so when your crusing at 40 mph you will be running higher RPM's , when you give it gas it will take off alot faster,( not having to come out of overdrive) it adds alot more pep to your car and is benificial to your tranny in high traffic areas where your auto will constantly be switching gears and in and out of overdrive. but when you have it off your gas get used up a bit quicker. its not too practical to have overdrive off if your doing anythign over say 55-60 because its going to be at like 3-3500 RPM's and winding out, same wiht on the highway keep the overdrive on.
but city driving and short distances is great to have it off and its alot more power you can feel. i also take it off when i wanna make a quick lane change or something
that help at all?
Old 02-13-2001, 07:07 PM

See my FAQ page

http://members.csinet.net/tisch/maxima/FAQ.htm

I think you guys may have this button mistaken.

N34JZ said:
"Ok if its set to P= it give a quicker shift ratio..."

Actually, the gear ratios do not change. Under normal driving, the automatic transmission simply shifts at a higher rpm than it normally does.

N34JZ said:
"...i think the middle is the best spot when not racing.

At full throttle, the shift points will be the same no matter where your switch is.

Maxse91 said something about making the car faster or slower, it may feel faster because of the holding out of the shifts, but it does not make it faster.

[Edited by Bryan91SE on 02-13-2001 at 09:21 PM]
Old 02-13-2001, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by maxse91
ok heres the deal, you shoudl mess wiht it one day too so you can see for yourself, but when its off your car will not go into overdrive, all overdrive is is a long gear that is for cruising, gets good gas mileage and is smooth. so its alot more sporty to turn it off when driving aggresive. your car will always be in gear. so when your crusing at 40 mph you will be running higher RPM's , when you give it gas it will take off alot faster,( not having to come out of overdrive) it adds alot more pep to your car and is benificial to your tranny in high traffic areas where your auto will constantly be switching gears and in and out of overdrive. but when you have it off your gas get used up a bit quicker. its not too practical to have overdrive off if your doing anythign over say 55-60 because its going to be at like 3-3500 RPM's and winding out, same wiht on the highway keep the overdrive on.
but city driving and short distances is great to have it off and its alot more power you can feel. i also take it off when i wanna make a quick lane change or something
that help at all?
can we be dismissed now professor just kidding but thanks for letting us know how this feature works.
Old 02-13-2001, 07:25 PM

Hey, no professor here. Just a few years ago, I used to think that the power increased air fuel mixture and firmed up the supsension! I was way off!

By the way, that was one fast response, damn.