3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cross fingers for me! Heading to Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 06:19 PM

Heading to Atlanta bright and early tomorrow in a rental car that can be dropped off in Atlanta and hopefully will be returning in a gray 93 SE. Going to stop in Chattanooga on the return trip to spend the night and do the "kiddie" thing with kids at the Aquarium and see two IMAX movies before heading back to Twangtown Saturday afternoon. The guy says he'd get in the Max and drive to California tomorrow so I'm hoping for a great trip back, altho somewhat leary because I really don't know the car. Me..tomorrow afternoon in Chattanooga traffic, driving a 5 speed that will be relying on an 8 year memory of a manual should be a fun site. I'll be a nervous wreck I'm sure. Not like there's NO hills in Chattanooga with the incline railway, Lookout Mtn, Signal Mtn, etc. :-)

Anyway..am VERY excited...lets just hope the deal goes through and the car is sound. I'll pocket $2K in the deal..over what insurance gave me for the 93 GXE if things work out. $500 already spent, bought a '92 Mercury Sable w/a blown head gasket the guy didn't want to fix for the SON this AM. Very decent looking car, the guy said he'd just put some bucks into the car on normal stuff you'd expect to need replacing on a '92 when he learned of the head gasket. Decided not to put anymore in it. Ex can fix the head gasket. Son said "well, it's NOT my dream car...." :-) but the child is very excited. Very nice looking 4 dr family sedan..lol. Anyway, figured we didn't have much to lose on it, and it would give him something to drive besided MY car. Gotta pay Uncle Sam with some of those leftover dollars tho. :-(((

Anyway, here's to hoping I'll be checking in Saturday evening..very happy to have arrived safely and problem-free in a gray '93 SE 5 Speed. It does have what seems to be a common problem with one of the windows...back passenger side occasionally drops down. Guy said he thought it was a $15 fix so will be checking into that upon my return. Wish me luck!!

-L
Old 02-15-2001, 06:28 PM

good luck, sounds like an awesome car, how much did you end up paying? sheesh i dont think your son has any right to talk about whats his dream car after what he did to yours haha i guess itll do him good, hope he doent ruin it like the max, is it a lil 4 banger? i hope, thatll be a lil less power for the booger. anywyas, good luck the 5 speed will come back to ya like nothing im sure
Old 02-15-2001, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by Brandon90gxe
good luck, sounds like an awesome car, how much did you end up paying? sheesh i dont think your son has any right to talk about whats his dream car after what he did to yours haha i guess itll do him good, hope he doent ruin it like the max, is it a lil 4 banger? i hope, thatll be a lil less power for the booger. anywyas, good luck the 5 speed will come back to ya like nothing im sure
Thanks, well, it almost sounds to good to be true, so thats why my fingers are crossed. Its got 139K, has new transmission within last year or so and its priced at $3300. Guy says he needs to get bigger car as he's got three kids and needs an SUV. He said there was enough little stuff that could be picked at it, he just wanted a decent price. Couple scratches on outside..the window issue, etc., but the interior is very clean, much cleaner than the one just wrecked.Paint is not as shiny as the black one but is still nice looking. Saw that "shiny" post and will read it later. But the ad..and he reiterated in conversation, the car runs and looks great, needs nothing. He said his wife drove it to NJ this summer and that he'd hop in it tomorrow and drive to California. I got $5300 outta the GXE. She first offer $4995 (after $250 ded) but I sent her memo showing the ONLY eight maxima's I'd found within 100 miles, looking at yahoo, exite, autotrader, us.trader, cars.com plus looking at like..10 dealers. With the exception of the two lowest, one had 210K miles and the other, I couldn't reach, the medium of the other six was $6600. I even said "u go find me a replacement for $5300, including tax", to which she said, "they don't find replacements". lol I settled after she came up to $5300 (after ded) because I wanted to try to get this one in Atlanta cuz it left me $800 to pay Uncle Same.\

So, yes, I'm taking a chance, car might blow on the way home Saturday, don't know, just have to have faith in the guy.I have lots of faith, been burned before, am slowly losing some of it, but just feel I can take the chance, figured I could get my money back out of it if need be, thought some gearhead young man might like a 5 sp enough to buy it.. :-)

As for the son, yes, I agree with you. :-) But then again, I want him something to drive besides mine enough I was willing. Dont know much about engines as you know, it's a 3.8L V6 but the '92 model is one of the bigger ones, not the sleek ones they have today..safety was an important issue for me on this car. Being a V6, I'm sure it can still go faster than I want to know about. Figured if he can drive a little more on his own, in something safer, he might get some respect for speed with the bigger one. It was funny, not one hour after the car was brought here, him and three of his friends were all over it, poking and proding.. and they spent the evening trying to install the CD player that came outta my max. Don't know if they were successful. Another car just pulled up, here comes another friend.

I have to stop by the garage where the GXE is tomorrow to get my license plates, and I will swipe the brand new windshield wipers from itas I have $35 bucks in them. Guess it could be considered stealing...lol, but she knew I took the CD player out of the other one, and didn't say anything and I figured they aren't even gonna notice there are no blades on those wipers. If you factor in that I got the Sony CD player from it, and the back speakers that J had already removed, I guess I should be happy with the check I got yesterday. :-)

-L
Old 02-15-2001, 08:57 PM

Good luck with it. Dont really worry about the mileage, usually an engine with a manual tranny doesnt go through nearly as much wear and tear as one with an auto. I also think its mostly highway miles and people that prefer manual tend to take better care of cars in general.

As for the window thing, thats no big deal, you just cant help it with the faulty regulators that come on these cars, dont think any less of it, we've all gone through it. Simply order a new window regulator from Courtesy Nissan for $50 and have your ex install it, this one will come with a little attachment designed to prevent this from ever happening. As for the paint, believe me, a $100 professional detailing and it will look as good as new, I can almost guarantee this with the high quality of paint put on these cars. Its also good that he replaced the tranny, because even if something like the clutch goes, its minor compared to the tranny itself, you can order a new one from Courtesy Nissan for around $200 and your ex should be able to do that for you without much trouble. As for the other potential problems like VTC and exhaust studs, the noticeable thing is only some new noises and loss of power but it will still drive fine. I also agree with you that you'd be able to sell it for how much you bought it.

As for the Sable, thats a very good price and you luckily have the year where they redesigned (92-95), definitely a good buy. Tell him not to go crazy and it should last.

Good luck and let us know how it went.
Old 02-16-2001, 04:26 AM

Thank you NYC. I'm betting alot on the very clean inside, I figure if someone takes that good of care of the inside of the vehicle, they are at least halfway conscious of the entire car. :-)

And thank you Matt for taking the time to give me your opinion and for contacting Jason (I believe) for the phone number of the shop in Atlanta. I ended up not calling because we were swamped at work and I was too frantic there to rationally figure out a good way to deal with that. I felt bad calling the guy and saying 'hey, can you drop the car off at XXX and let them check it out for me...". Might come back to bite me in the rear that I didn't but that will be my fault. I have this bad character trait of believing everyone (it drives my friends nuts), and I believe the guy who has the car. I'm trying to be a little more skeptical in all things but in general I am SICK of looking at cars since this is my second in under two months, I just want it over.

Thanks all, and I'll touch base tomorrow night when I get back.

-L
Old 02-16-2001, 06:36 AM
STFU n00b!

I understand your feelings completely.. I've spent the last 3 weeks trying to hunt down a body shop to fix mine.. and of course I've been shopping for another one at the same time.. I'm still trying to convince myself that I should keep this one when I get it out of the shop. I'm sooo tempted to sell this one off (because of it's great mechanical condition) and buy a higher mileage 92-94SE 5 spd..

but then common sense comes back to me.. of the $$$$$$ I've put into maintaining this one, I'll have to turn around and dump it into another one as soon as I get it. (new struts. suspension bushings, engine parts, etc etc etc)
not to mention the days of labor it would take to return this one to stock and pile all of my mods in the corner!

Good luck withthe new purchase! Hopefully things will turn out in your favor!
Also you can never be too wary of buying a car sight unseen. I can't even get honest deals on a fuggin $75 video card for my computer! (send money, no receive card. time to file for Mail fraud. a$$hole).
Old 02-17-2001, 06:53 PM

Ok, we are bad. Geez, what a hellish and expensive trip to Atlanta. An experience I NEVER want to repeat and if the event ever happens I will do it differently. Such a nightmare, I'll recap but its probably one of those "you had to be there" experiences. Went to Nashville airport to rent one-way rental car, after calling and getting cheapest, arrived to find you have to have a major credit card, and a visa debit card won't work, I was steered to a company that will allow that..Alama..so instead of the $79 bucks I was expecting..shelled out $233 for a one way to Atlanta. $150 drop fee. Oh wait..forgot the best part..the car was a Geo. OMG, anyone who drives those on a daily basis deserves a metal!!!And I had to ask at the counter, would the thing even make it up Monteagle or would we be pedaling.. Left insurance rental car in Long Term Parking and the kids and I took off around 10:30. Pulled into Marietta, GA around 4 (EST) and stopped hoping to find an Alamo in Marietta. Stopped at 4 convenience stores looking for Atlanta phonebook, same answer "no, we don't have one". &*^%$^*&(*)&(*) you can't tell me they didn't have one, I don't believe that for nothing...grrrr. finally pulled into a Pool and Spa place..very helpful, found the address so we set off in search of it on Cobb Prky SE. FINALLY found it, the place had just changed to Alamo and didn't accept cars yet. With instructions to the airport, which I was AVOIDING since it was almost 5 PM FRIDAY AFTERNOON by this time, we headed that way in Atlanta rush hour traffic. TOok the wrong dayum turn on 285, noticed it 1 exit later, turned around, sat in traffc some more, finally arrived at airport at 6:15 PM. Dropped rental car, got $50 back because I *****ed and *****ed..that the air didn't work and since storms were brewing in Chattanooga, simply added to all the frustration once we got into Atlanta.

Ok, dropped car, $60 dollar taxi ride back to Marietta, and upon pulling into the complex where the guy lived, the BOTTOM dropped...hail, everything. Tornado watch I believe. Guy said there was a problem with the title and he'd put us up in a motel overnight if I wanted as he was expecting it the next morning around 10. Kids and I had the day all mapped out in Chattanooga today so after a few, decided to call the hotel in Chatt..to make sure our reservation was still held. It was, bought and paid for whether we showed up or not since it was too late to cancel. Rain had died down, so I decided to continue on with the original plans and he said he'd Fed Ex me the title. Oh, I will add that our run from the taxi to his condo, we were SOAKING wet, we dashed for door right after the hail stopped. I mean, soaking, dripping, completely, hair and clothes, ALL.

So, we finally get in the car, I do okay with the shift. Get on I75 heading north, traffic still heavy, 4-5 lanes, raining steadily. At one point, I'm in the second lane from the left and a car approaching in the far left lane..I happened to look over just ahead to the left side of the road and I see this orange traffic barrel being picked up by the wind and start heading for me. The car approaching in the far left lane, hit its, it knocks it over in my lane, but I miss it by a few feet, then I see the car behind me hit it square in front. Don't know what happened after that, all I kept replaying in my head was the initial view of the wind picking it up and seeing it heading straight for me, and thinking "OMG, this is ALL I need..." and then thinking "OMG, the ultimate irony...me, wrecking the car, within 5 minutes of driving off with it".

Trip back to Chattanooga, messy, but ok, and we pulled into the hotel at 9:30 PM. Went upstairs, ordered pizza to the room, and was too tired to even hop in the jacuzzi that I had specifically requested at the kids request. Exhausting day...driving in rain just wears on the nerves and the son was screaming to drive every once in awhile....can't even describe my frustration at him and adding to the frustration was the cost of the whole thing. Given hindsight, I'd just flown down there by myself, tried to find another way out to Marietta instead of handing $66 bucks to a taxi driver. The drive to Atlanta in a GEO, the cost, the weather, the near miss on that barrel, all just made for a horrific day and one where Murphy's Law certainly applied.."whatever can go wrong...will".

More about car coming in other post. Pain pill needs to take effect first..

PS. Matt..I think you need to find a reasonable SE..and keep your GXE too. :-)

Old 02-17-2001, 08:15 PM

Tell us damnit....I want to know about the car.

DON'T let that kid drive it. Its MUCH faster than the gxe....He WILL kill that car if you let him

Old 02-17-2001, 10:02 PM

Yes, agree with Mike, dont let him anywhere near it. Its clear that you are already way too nice of a mom by buying him that Sable. Should just tell him that the only reason you bought the Sable for him was for him to stay away from your new car.

About driving stick, I figured you'd have no problem. Its like riding a bicycle, once you know how to, you never forget. Anyway, let us know about the new ride and your impressions.
Old 02-18-2001, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.
Tell us damnit....I want to know about the car.

DON'T let that kid drive it. Its MUCH faster than the gxe....He WILL kill that car if you let him

Ok, Ok, it just passed it's second test. I just went and started it, frost on the windows, revved it couple times, no noises. Should I smile? Scared too.

Sorry about not posting last night..took that pain pill and was in bed little after 9, being forty is hell. So is recurring back pain for the first time in 3 yrs since back surgery. :-(

Ok, car. Again, inside is much nicer than my black GXE. Upholstering is different, VERY clean, one spot on the roof in the back from what I've seen so far. One little plate missing from the door lock in the back, will try to get one off the black max before it's taken from the junkyard and hope it will fit. The son discovered cupholders halfway back to Nashville last night. Need light bulbs for the dome light and one by the sunroof that I've noted so far. Clock doesn't work, not sure if fuse or not. Cd player and 4 speakers work fine, son said they were Pioneer 4x9 (6?)..can't remember.

Car drove great from Atlanta to Chattanooga, hitting 80 in some parts, rain and the two recent "totals" on my insurance kept speed down most of the way. Woke up yesterday morning and it had a LOUD noise coming from what I think is the valve cover, but it disappeared a block after I took off. Not a tick, sounded more like the sound from an exhaust leak, muffler kinda thing but was coming directly from the engine. I started it this am, and the noise isn't there. Son had gone out and started the car, and I got mad at him, told him "I" was really interested in hearing it COLD, and not sure if it had that noise from the beginning or not but the second I pull away from the motel, it was gone. Since it's not there this morning, I'll be very interested in the next few days. Anyways was very dishearted yesterday AM, but again, didn't have it for much.

Nothing else to note as for the engine. I will check the fluids today when it warms up. Did find some paperwork in the car showing it had 125K on it in June 2000. Its now at 141K, seems a lot of miles but I think one trip to NJ has been made,and I'll hope the other miles were highway miles too instead of all Atlanta traffic.

Exterior, couple small dings here or there, with the two largest things being a scratch low on the drivers door about 4-5 inches long, doesn't look down to metal and the back bumper is broke, just slightly left of the license plate. Not broke all the way but mostly. Son said that could be fixed with..bondo? (?)

Here's a link to a pic:

http://www.pseuchre.homestead.com/files/1093947.jpg

The pic makes it appear that there is something on the driver's and back door..there is nothing except the scratch on the driver's door, which you can faintly see below whatever that ripple is. Sunroof doesn't leak, as proved in that hellious storm in Atlanta.

The car needs a muffler and that is only really evident every once in awhile you hear it. The guy told me about it, it knocks a little underneath, heard it a couple times yesterday..like just when the vibration is right. Hope thats nothing more than just a muffler but I can handle that. The car has a nice sound when you wind it out whatever is up with the muffler.

So my immediate attention areas will be that window and the muffler, with the window being the most important at this time becuase the muffler issue does not appear to be that important. I will continue to be wary of that noise I heard yesterday AM. Will read more on that VTC issue to determine more clearly what that sounds like, but there is no ticking from the car.

Oh, and son did drive it yesterday. :-( and yes, I have told him repeatedly..thats what I bought YOUR car for..but his dad needs to hurry and fix it. He threw a couple tandrams in Chattanooga yesterday when I wouldn't let him drive from the hotel to the Aquarium. Worst being a "f*ck it" and a bag of wet clothes thrown across the room". What he can't seem to understand is that "I" am concerned about driving this 5 speed in town,he doesn't seem to understand the issue of having a manual and what might happen if you kill it in traffic. I did let him follow me in it across nashville from the airport to downtown last night but that was only because I needed the rental car turned in and he followed me. Interstate most the way, only like 2 blocks of normal city traffic before interstate and then after interstate. I have to say, he did well with the manual. I would NEVER had the b*alls to drive a manual in Nashville traffic, interstate or no, at 16. He's driven his Dad's 5 sp Toyota Tacoma enough to understand changing gears. He laughed at me a couple times..when twice, I expressed curiousity at what gear I was in..3rd or 5th. The last time, my feeling proved right..was in 3rd and thought I was in 5th..rpms about 4. I could feel the engine, radio was up, but wasn't really that noticiable. Turned the radio down, engine didn't sound "that" wound out, but anyway, pulled it down to 4th and put it in 5th..smooth sailing them, rpms went down to about 2. I was in 3rd.

You know what I enjoy most about the manual...slowing down and stopping. I just love downshifting to slow the car. I remember my ex always saying "brakes or clutch" whatever you want to replace...for me..it was always the clutch.

Sorry about the "books" I write. I need to go back and read what I wrote last night in my tiredness. Isaw the first line..which should have been "I am BACK", not "bad", altho I am that from time to time... :-)

Let me know what ya think..

-L
Old 02-18-2001, 06:21 AM

For brevity, let me write..

Engine Issues: loud noise yesterday AM, disappeared less than a block of driving. Loud, more exhaust leak kinda sound not a tick. Started it this AM cold, frost on windows..no noise.

Interior Issues: Clock, one light by sunroof and dome doesn't work. Will check bulbs and fuses.

Exterior Issues: Couple small dings; one 4-5 inch scratch low on driver's door, appears white, not at metal; broken back fender piece, you can position it to go together correctly and can't see it from 4 feet away.

Thats it in a nutshell :-), everything else "appears" to be in wonderful condition for a '93 car.

Price: $3200 plus "getting there expenses" $288 for rental and $66 for taxi ride and a few more gray hairs.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:51 AM

Hey, I remember seeing that particular car on Ebay a few weeks ago, looked like he had a lot of bidders, because it had no reserve, dont know what happened though.

All the problems you mentioned are very minor, except for the noise when cold, that could be some kind of timing chain tensioner. You also have the 95-96 SE+97-99 GLE rims so that could be looked at as an upgrade. Otherwise sounds like a good buy, good luck. Although careful with the son, at the rate he seems to be going, sounds like he might be driving it on a regular basis around next week.
Old 02-18-2001, 10:10 AM
Foo90SE

You were very close to my house coming to get that car...im about amile from cobb pky and 75

Old 02-18-2001, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by NYC GXE
Hey, I remember seeing that particular car on Ebay a few weeks ago, looked like he had a lot of bidders, because it had no reserve, dont know what happened though.

Ut oh, that doesn't sound good, does it? A couple things about the whole thing seem odd to me so hearing that it was on ebay just adds to that. Also it was in the Atlanta paper, so it makes me wonder how come it hadn't sold before. He mentioned he had lots of calls but hadn't really been calling them back. I put a lot of faith in my feelings about the guy, he was a very nice guy, nice wife and 3 beautiful kids, mentioned church couple times in conversation, plus her sister and mother were all there when we went inside due to the storm. All seemed very nice and I didn't get any strange sense like they knew I was buying a car w/problems. My friends get mad at my trust in people, but I do have that and hard not to trust it even in today's world.
All the problems you mentioned are very minor, except for the noise when cold, that could be some kind of timing chain tensioner. You also have the 95-96 SE+97-99 GLE rims so that could be looked at as an upgrade. Otherwise sounds like a good buy, good luck. Although careful with the son, at the rate he seems to be going, sounds like he might be driving it on a regular basis around next week.

I'll check into that timing chain thing. He said it had been changed but then later in conversation sounded like the owner before him had changed it. Date on door says 9/92, so that is one that needs changing every 60K, correct? and you said timing chain..don't I have a timing belt? And if it was some kind of sensor maybe that would account for why it was there one morning..but not the next. Son just turned it around in driveway and it wasn't there, like earlier today when i started it.

As for son, if his persistents continues, I will get this Sable AND him rerouted to his dad's house so I won't have to deal with it. He's outside working on it now, not sure what he's doing, but he's out there and I think wherever that car is...he will be. :-) Plan anyway is to get it to his Dad's house so he can work on it whenever he has a few free minutes here and there. BUT the son just came in and said "I think I want one of them Mom, ultimately, you know"..meaning MY car. :-)
Old 02-18-2001, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by Foo90SE
You were very close to my house coming to get that car...im about amile from cobb pky and 75

I bet if you'd been free you wouldn't have charged me $60 to take me from airport back out that way, eh? I got the car from Delk Road/Bently something..wonder if you ever say it..did you look at the pic?
Old 02-18-2001, 10:44 AM

I wouldnt worry about the car in that way. I think its pretty simple, its a 5 spd car that is approaching the 150K mark. One of the windows doesnt work, a few lights dont function, a few scratches and a cracked bumper, to the everyday public those are concerns. Also I read somewhere that only 15% of the country even knows how to drive stick, and only like 5% prefer it. He was looking to unload it quick and it mightve been hard for the reasons I just mentioned. Many people can be very ignorant about the mileage, meanwhile a car with 150K can be in much better shape than one with 50K miles, it just depends on who took care of it.

<<I'll check into that timing chain thing. He said it had been changed but then later in conversation sounded like the owner before him had changed it. Date on door says 9/92, so that is one that needs changing every 60K, correct? and you said timing chain..don't I have a timing belt? And if it was some kind of sensor maybe that would account for why it was there one morning..but not the next. Son just turned it around in driveway and it wasn't there, like earlier today when i started it.>>

Since you bought an SE, you have a different engine, which uses a timing chain instead of a timing belt. A timing chain usually lasts around 180K or lifetime of the car. Since it has been changed, you have nothing to worry about. Again about the noise, I've seen a 92 SE and a 93 GXE both have it. It happens only when the car is cold, goes away when it warms up. The 92 SE was sold with the problem, on the 93 GXE, the person determined that it was the timing belt tensioner(s) and changed the timing belt/water pump/tensioners because it was time anyway and it was perfect once again. The best way I could describe this noise is how an ambulance or a tow truck sounds when its diesel engine is idling. Kind of an uneven knocking sound.

<<As for son, if his persistents continues, I will get this Sable AND him rerouted to his dad's house so I won't have to deal with it. He's outside working on it now, not sure what he's doing, but he's out there and I think wherever that car is...he will be. :-) Plan anyway is to get it to his Dad's house so he can work on it whenever he has a few free minutes here and there. BUT the son just came in and said "I think I want one of them Mom, ultimately, you know"..meaning MY car. :-)>>

Yes definitely be careful, sounds like he's on the verge of driving it around without your permission one of these days.
Old 02-18-2001, 10:54 AM
custmmax

Nice weather in Chattown, huh?

I live in chattanooga, and was working when you went to get the car and drive back.. i live in chattanooga.. ya, odd weather we were having that day.. as for the engine sound, that is more than likely your vtc's.. sounds like with my car.. when it is cold and you first start it up, sometimes it makes a noise, sometimes it doesnt.. if you pop the hood while it is making the sound, and sounds like something id right under the valve covers trying to get out, its your vtc's.. that would give you a few options..

1. live with it.. the sound isnt any PERMANENT damage
2. get them replaced from nissan ( about $1600)
3. disable them.. ( there is a link on one of these guy's website on doing that)

i just live with mine, and if it is making the noise when i start it up, a few laps around the block will stop it..
as for the timing chain, they are supposed to last as long as the engine does, so i doubt you need to replace them (2 of them) thats what the guy told me when he sold me mine.. that it needed some "timing chain work sometime".. or something like that.. so he either didnt know anything about maximas, or he was just lying to sell me the car.. but, a 93 se max in excellent condition with perfect leather interior for $3800 with 135,000 miles on it ( most all highway) is a good deal, right? anyways.. you will get more comfortable and used to the car as you own it longer...

Old 02-18-2001, 11:52 AM

Re: Nice weather in Chattown, huh?

Thanks for the post..if what I heard "was" the VTC's and it only does like it did the other day, I will live with them for awhile. Since it cleared up quickly, I can live with that. Its the fear of not knowing that was the major concern, and of course..on that day..being two hours from home. :-)

Chattanooga is a nice city. I didn't feel up to tackling Lookout Mtn/Rock City/Ruby Falls because I wasn't sure exactly what hills I might encounter..and more important..which ones I'd have to stop and go on...the new 5 speed, you know... :-) Kids were dying to go, but I told them another day..maybe this coming spring. It's really so close, we should be able to do that on any given weekend coming up. Afterwards, they were content with the two IMAX movies and the aquarium. Both my kids get car sick..and stuff like that bothers them easily..so after two hours of viewing thru the plexiglass at the aquarium..we were all ready to just "go home".

The weather was odd..when I b i t c h e d about the air conditioner, the lady said "I can take $50 off the bill"..but then added "did you "really" need the air conditioner?" I wanted to jack-slap her, cruising 70-75 mph in a GEO amongst tractor trailers going over Monteagle and then in Atlanta traffic was NOT a picnic. Car actually drove ok..as for how it felt..steering reaction and all..but having cardboard for doors and all, is not a comforting feeling on the interstate. LOL..at one point, when we were eating at Burger King just over the line in GA..the son said "well, I would go sit in the car and listen to the radio while ya'll finish..but..hey..its a geo, don't really want anyone to see me sitting in that". :-)
Old 02-18-2001, 11:59 AM

Thank you NYC, rational, reassuring post. Plus like I mentioned before..if someone takes that good of care of the inside of the car..can they really ignore the engine side of things? I'm betting on NOT. Plus..woohoo..I have Maxima mats..nice looking ones too...little wear on the letters, but otherwise, look good. I'll probably be buying some clear mats to go over them.

I'm wanting to drive, its a beautiful sunny day here.....so we're heading to Twangtown to purchase a new dishwasher...will look for more comments on my return. My fears proved unfounded on the other max..albeit I only had it 3 wks, but lets hope for this one too.
Old 02-18-2001, 01:48 PM
Foo90SE

Hmm..hate to bring up a bad point..but my 90 was PERFECT inside/out as far as the body..even had the orignal window sticker still in the dash...but i had to replace trans and the motor was going downhill pretty fast
It had 1/2" sludge built up all inside the motor i found out.
Just an example of how it can happen
Originally posted by OWhatAThrill
Thank you NYC, rational, reassuring post. Plus like I mentioned before..if someone takes that good of care of the inside of the car..can they really ignore the engine side of things? I'm betting on NOT. Plus..woohoo..I have Maxima mats..nice looking ones too...little wear on the letters, but otherwise, look good. I'll probably be buying some clear mats to go over them.

I'm wanting to drive, its a beautiful sunny day here.....so we're heading to Twangtown to purchase a new dishwasher...will look for more comments on my return. My fears proved unfounded on the other max..albeit I only had it 3 wks, but lets hope for this one too.

Old 02-18-2001, 01:55 PM
Foo90SE

I wouldnt of charged ya that much by far

I looked at the pic..i havnt seen one like that around with those rims though
Originally posted by OWhatAThrill

I bet if you'd been free you wouldn't have charged me $60 to take me from airport back out that way, eh? I got the car from Delk Road/Bently something..wonder if you ever say it..did you look at the pic?

Old 02-18-2001, 07:24 PM

Hmm..hate to bring up a bad point..but my 90 was PERFECT inside/out as far as the body..even had the orignal window sticker still in the dash...but i had to replace trans and the motor was going downhill pretty fast
It had 1/2" sludge built up all inside the motor i found out.
Just an example of how it can happen
Well..ok..you just "had" to do that, eh? :-) I drove into Nashville today on this country road winding up by the river, with hills, curves and straight stretches..I have to say, the car purred like a baby...and I loved it!! I love the manual and like wow..when I turned onto the road (River Road if anyone here knows it)..I have this LONG steep hill..the car didn't hiccup at all going up in 3rd, gained momentum the entire trek. I left the vehicle who turned up behind me like it was sitting still..and I didn't even think I was "pushing" the car hard at all. And then, there was this other time..opening up out of this curve..I had it in 3rd..and...and...it took off like it wanted to see just how fast it would go..I was tempted and amazed at how much pick-up it had..but I had 2 9 yr olds in the car, and it was dusk and the road is notorious for deer, common sense reined in, I kept it to 60.

Then tonight..I took one of my son's friends to his car..and the muffler did a little rattle and the engine sounded like..like..a piece of cardboard hitting a fan..for about a mile..then it was fine. While it may be something else all together than simply VTC's and needing a new muffler, I'm sure if someone drove it like this..they would have said "this is a piece of ****" and decided they weren't interested in the car. And if it does turn out to be the VTC issue, I'm not even upset...go figure. I will say tho..if it wasn't for this maxima forum, I would probably be scared to death that the car was getting ready to croak.
Old 02-19-2001, 12:56 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

sounds good...

Nice deal on the Max, I have 99k on my 93 SE auto, tranny was the biggest pain so far. That charcoal max looks very good.
About the 92 Sable, you really stuck it to your son, that was unnecessary, I had to put up with the embarassment of a 87 Dog-poop-Brown Sable GS with rusted trunk, roof and hood. Nah, that car is a dog, my dad still owns it, 140 hp V6, it looks like trash too, my 1st mod on that car would be Limo tint all around. But seriousely, that was generous of you, if I would crash my parents car, I wouldn't be expecting to be behind the wheel of anything for a while, let alone having them buy my own car.
Old 02-19-2001, 04:57 AM

Re: sounds good...

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Nice deal on the Max, I have 99k on my 93 SE auto, tranny was the biggest pain so far. That charcoal max looks very good.
About the 92 Sable, you really stuck it to your son, that was unnecessary, I had to put up with the embarassment of a 87 Dog-poop-Brown Sable GS with rusted trunk, roof and hood. Nah, that car is a dog, my dad still owns it, 140 hp V6, it looks like trash too, my 1st mod on that car would be Limo tint all around. But seriousely, that was generous of you, if I would crash my parents car, I wouldn't be expecting to be behind the wheel of anything for a while, let alone having them buy my own car.
LOL, actually I think I should have waited to see if I needed that $500 bucks towards something on the Max but I didn't know if the Sable would be around that long. This child is King of Badgering...since childhood, and I realize we inspire that by giving into him, I just figured it was in "my" best interest for him to have a vehicle. A safer, bigger vehicle. Except for the wrinkled quarter panel, which his Dad can work out as well as anyone else, the car is a nice looking car. I mean..would I buy it? no, would someone else after it's fixed if he wants to sell it for something else, sure. The seats could certainly use some covers and he wants me to buy them today, but there's no rust anywhere on the car, and if you look at the side without the bad quarter panel in the rear, look at the rear and the front, for $500, it's an awesome car. Its white with silver bumpers, nice, deep silver moulding on the front and rear.Reminds me of those SHO (if my memory is right) moulding of a Taurus we looked at.

As for buying him a car after he wrecked mine, the child hasn't learned a thing. He still asks every opportunity to drive mine, taking friend home, in Chattanooga, etc. He can't seem to comprehend at this point, that it's not necessarily his driving, but all the other ramifications I CAN'T risk, insurance issues, another car purchase, yadda, yadda. It's not that I'm the biggest b i t c h of a mom by not letting him drive mine, it's just a risk I cannot afford.