3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Best Pair of 6x9 speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2001, 08:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a Clarion Head unit with am/fm/cassette/CD running 35Wx4 channels in my wife's 91 Maxima. I had been using the stock Bose speakers, but last week the rear amps have taken a dump and I don't feel like buying used replacement equipment. The speakers are still good, I was able to bypass the amps in the rear to get both speakers up and running again. Now that I have gone through all of that, I was hoping to upgrade those 2 rear speakers with a good pair of 6x9's.

So my question is what are the best pair of 6x9's I can buy on the market today that would work with just the existing head unit that I currently have in there. Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-16-2001, 10:40 PM

Get a pair of MB Quart's. They are the best you can buy for your ride. Search the web and you should be able to find them for much less than retail.

-Jeremy
Old 02-16-2001, 10:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Jeremy!!

What do you think of the Rockford Fosgate HPC1369's?? How do they compare to the MB Quart's?? Thanks for your input??

Originally posted by jdonavich
Get a pair of MB Quart's. They are the best you can buy for your ride. Search the web and you should be able to find them for much less than retail.

-Jeremy
Old 02-16-2001, 11:16 PM

this is kind of a subjective question at best....

MB quarts are ok.. sound a little better than Infinity kappas -- they have a fuller sound.

Eclipse sound better than the MB quarts, but $$

you just have to go to a shop and listen to them for a while and make your own decision....

Mario
Old 02-17-2001, 03:56 PM
living out of a maxima...

I've got 3 way Kappa 6x9s and they sound excellent. One word of warning, though: many of the high-end speakers require lots of power to sound nice. I've got a 160 watt RF amp hooked up to the 6x9s and they bump, but I don't know how they'd sound without it. If you're just running them off the head unit you probably don't want to go overkill. Check the max RMS rating on whatever speakers you're looking at and make sure that the head unit's output rating falls somewhere in the middle of the speaker's RMS range. Hope that helps!

Jeff
Old 02-17-2001, 06:56 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Personnally, I've owned many two and three way speakers. They ALL sound like crap! I have yet to figure out why people do this to their systems! The best speakers I found for the rear are the Kicker comp free air 6x9's, IMO. If you want some highs in the back, install a set of tweets up on the back of the seats and aim them up front, otherwise you'll get sound range that cannot be heard, such as with a two way, etc. The way I see it, putting a two or three way in the back is no more pointless than running tweets on your sub box (has anyone seen this, such as when people put the truck sub boxes with the tweets in their trunks and hook it all up!?).....WHY!? Pure and simple, you will get better sound and performance from a speaker that produces mid to low end sound. Just my opinion...
Old 02-17-2001, 07:54 PM

I don't have any subs, nor do I want any. I like riding around with friends who have them because they hit like a train. I just wouldn't want them myself because I wouldn't want that all the time, like in the mornings when I'm like aaarrrggghhh.... I also don't want to be shaking the neighborhood's windows, let alonoe my own. The 6x9s produce enough bass to keep me hapy, and I have components in the front for better highs.
Old 02-17-2001, 08:22 PM

I want to tear out my whole Bose system too because it gives me too much headache so I want new speaker all around. what are the best speakers for my door speeakers too. Does kicker make speakers that fit 3rd gen doors. And the back 6X9' too i want some good speakers. Any suggestions anybody.

One.
Old 02-19-2001, 08:06 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I have Kicker comp free air 6x9's in the back with a set of tweets sitting on the back of the seats. Kicker does make a 4" speaker for the fronts, you just need to cut a larger metal plate to fill in the gaps that would otherwise result from trying to install the speaker. Some here have installed larger speakers in the front, like a 5" with probably a little cutting to inlarge the hole, the increased diameter of the speaker covers any other abnormalities of the bose box (the bose speaker is triangle!). Just remember that whatever speaker you get and use the bose box, you may have to experiment with sealing or leaving open the "bass port" on the box and maybe even put some pillow stuffing in the box, just to see what sounds best.
Old 02-19-2001, 10:05 AM

Yes, Eclipse, MB Quart, and Infinity Kappa speakers are probably the top three brands. I've never heard Eclipse's but their repution precedes them. If the old adage, "you get what you pay for" holds true, then any of these speakers should kick a$$.

-Jeremy

[Edited by jdonavich on 02-19-2001 at 12:09 PM]
Old 02-20-2001, 06:43 AM
OG and counting...

Before my Caprice croaked, I was going to buy a set of JL Audio 6x9s and a set of Alpine 4" speakers with an a/d/s PH840 power amp. I came away highly impressed with the sound quality of the JLs. They hit hard but provide the balanced tonal quality for softer music.

I know for a fact that these speakers are around $200.
Old 02-20-2001, 09:02 AM

Chris-
When I first put the 5 1/4s into the Bose pods I had to cut the hole a touch bigger to fit them in. Once they were in and hooked up I started getting this ugly farting sound from the speakers. With some luck I discovered that (I think) this was because there was not enough air moving freely out of the box. I figured if that port was designed for a 3.87" (or something) speaker and I threw a 5.25" in there, it was probably trying to squeeze more air out of the same size port. To solve this I just cut be a big old hole in the back of the box, and it went away. Did you run into any of these problems? Also, what exactly does the pillow stuffing do?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 02-20-2001, 12:53 PM
Get Off My Lawn

The pillow stuffing, theoretically, is to cushion the air coming off the back of the speaker so that in a smaller box, the air being reflected off the back of the box does not distort the speaker. In essence, it makes a smaller box larger. My Kicker comp 12's ask for a certain amount to be put in the boxes. I've seen others take fiber insulation like you would use on the inside of duct work in a home on the inside of thier boxes. But, again, it just depends on the speaker brand, size, and how it is crossed over as to how the box needs to be set up (port/ no port, stuffing/ no stuffing, size, etc). The farting sound came from the port I'm sure, same with mine, that's why I added the stuffing. I'm trying to remember if I kept the ports sealed or not......?? I think I sealed them or just crammed tons of stuffing in them! I'm a crook!! I kidnapped and gagged a port!
Old 02-20-2001, 05:40 PM

i got a pair of 2-way Pioneer 6x9's in my room i'll give u them both for $30
Old 02-20-2001, 06:02 PM

i have kenwood KFC-6969 speakers. their 4-way 6x9's. i'm happy with them. them have a good amount of thump to them for their size. their not that expensive either! i got them from crutchfield.
Old 02-20-2001, 11:24 PM
Banned

i have some kappa 6x9's collecting dust from the old max.... if you want them

ill let them go for like 60 dollars