3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone ever do a 5spd to Auto Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 04:17 PM

Anyone ever do a 5spd to Auto Conversion?

Make sure you read it right before telling me to go search. I know the auto to 5 speed conversion has been done hundreds of times but has anyone ever turned their 5 speed into an AUTOMATIC? Reason I ask is I have both an AUTO(32,000miles) and a MANUAL(112,000miles) 3rd gen max. People say to just swap the engines, but thats not what i want. IF you seen the two cars you'd understand. Ones a beat up p.o.s. and the others practically brand new. I need to have two complete working cars when this is done. If anyone has any info to share, please do.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:20 PM
dmontzsta

Originally Posted by bobbydigital450
Make sure you read it right before telling me to go search. I know the auto to 5 speed conversion has been done hundreds of times but has anyone ever turned their 5 speed into an AUTOMATIC? Reason I ask is I have both an AUTO(32,000miles) and a MANUAL(112,000miles) 3rd gen max. People say to just swap the engines, but thats not what i want. IF you seen the two cars you'd understand. Ones a beat up p.o.s. and the others practically brand new. I need to have two complete working cars when this is done. If anyone has any info to share, please do.
I had mine done at a shop. The donor car was in decent shape, but I was attatched to mine, plus I had moonroof, SFC's and other things that would of not been worth swapping over. My shop did a two way swap, my auto into a 5 speed and then the 5 speed car into an auto (it was my friends and he didnt mind letting me use it, cause the auto sales for more.)

Old 10-12-2003, 04:49 PM
Dysfunctional

why would you want to waiste a perfect 5 spd?? just buy an auto and lets someone use the 5spd ... some one is always looking for one.

Old 10-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i understand what your doing, i just dont know how you could wire up the auto computer theres got to be 20 some odd wires going between the tranny and computer and other shananagens, id try calling the shop that did dmontzsta's and ask them some Q's. but it would proboly be alot easier if you dont want to swap engines to just do the convertion but get the tranny and stuff from somewhere else and have 2 ve 5spds you could easely get the parts for 1000$ and your 30k auto tranny is proboly worth atlest 300$ and it would be much easier but thats just my opinion
Old 10-12-2003, 06:02 PM

my guess would be you will have to get the tranny wiring harness out of the auto car and put it in the manual. hopefully the ecu wiring harness and tranny wiring harness are seperate. if not you'll have to swap both wiring harnesses. it's not that hard. I've pulled a wiring harness out of a maxima in about 30 minutes but that's because i knew exactly what to do. Take a look and see if there are two seperate harnesses and that will probably be what you have to swap.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:48 PM

the harnesses are the same
Old 10-12-2003, 09:47 PM

it would be harder to go from manual -> auto.... since you need to wire up the reverse lights, O/D button/function, linkage, and the auto tranny computer. Being that the car is factory as a manual it doesnt have all these auto necessities
Old 10-12-2003, 10:43 PM

I am not sure if the 3rd gen harness is the same for both the auto/5spd, but I do know that you will need to carry over the computer for the tranny (sorry for not using the technical name, I'm tired). I know that VQ's have seperate wiring harnesses for 5spds and autos, but they are also OBD-II.

You will need to swap the ECU's and it would be smart to swap intake manifolds, as with out the 5spd ECU, the VI will not work (wired stock that is).

Also the IACV is has a larger gap with the automatics, however it doesnt make much of a difference. Its because the auto puts a larger load on the engine than a 5spd. Ofcourse every engine is different, so your results may vary.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:03 PM

oh yeah, dont forget you will have to swap pedal assemblies, and make sure you find a way to plug the hole in the firewall from the clutch master cylinder on your friends car. Also use some cardboard or paper or something to make a template from the master cylinder so that you will know how big and where to drill/grind the holes on the automatic. I'll think of more later.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
i understand what your doing, i just dont know how you could wire up the auto computer theres got to be 20 some odd wires going between the tranny and computer and other shananagens, id try calling the shop that did dmontzsta's and ask them some Q's. but it would proboly be alot easier if you dont want to swap engines to just do the convertion but get the tranny and stuff from somewhere else and have 2 ve 5spds you could easely get the parts for 1000$ and your 30k auto tranny is proboly worth atlest 300$ and it would be much easier but thats just my opinion

Definately thought about it, but i figure why spend the money when everything I need is right infront of my face.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
my guess would be you will have to get the tranny wiring harness out of the auto car and put it in the manual. hopefully the ecu wiring harness and tranny wiring harness are seperate. if not you'll have to swap both wiring harnesses. it's not that hard. I've pulled a wiring harness out of a maxima in about 30 minutes but that's because i knew exactly what to do. Take a look and see if there are two seperate harnesses and that will probably be what you have to swap.

Well I allready have the whole dash torn apart. all the intake bull is out of the way and pedals have been removed so if you have any tips on how to get the harness out the easiest way, please let me know. Might as well do this thing the right way, even tho it might take longer. Thanx to all for their input.

Rob V