3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Gas gauge inaccurate

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 01:57 PM

Gas gauge inaccurate

Lately it seems as if ive been getting horrible gas mileage. So today i went and filled her up-i was directly between a half and a quarter tank left and 170 miles since last fill up- it only took 8 gallons to fill up! our tanks are 18.5 gallons so half full would be 9.25gl. so in actuality i wasnt even half empty....yet i was reading well below that. what could be the reason?? Thanks for your help
Steve
Old 10-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I believe there is about 3 gallons of gas below the empty line. Its probably like that either for people who push it to empty, then are stuck in rush hour traffic, or it could be so that when you do get to empty and the gas is sloshing around, the pump can still pickup gas. When our 91 jimmy gets 2-3 marks left (out of 14 or so, digital gauges), if you take a corner too quickly the car studders and even stalls because it just cant pickup any gas. It also happens on hills. Funny thing is the car stalled while I was beginning the turn into the gas station, (well and on every 90* turn on the way to the gas station).
Old 10-25-2003, 04:08 PM

Like MrGone said, it is probably off by design. Some manufactures purposfully do this so that people who run thier cars all the way down to "E" can still get around to the nearest gas station.

I am of the type that I try not to let my car get below 1/4 tank. However, when my ex used to drive our Sentra, she would routinely run it till the needle appeared it was even below the "E" mark. On one occasion, with the needle on "E" she was able to drive another 35 miles before she hit the next gas station.

Of course, this is something that you don't want to do as the built in "inaccuracy" is, well, inaccurate. Some cars seem to get further on "E" that others, at least that has been my experience. Even with both of my Maximas, there seems to be a big difference in the gauge calibration.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:10 PM

This thread reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer test drives a new car and sees how far he can go with the needle on empty.

Edit - A lot of people mention how it is not good to run near empty because the engine will be sucking up the dirt and crap that settles on the bottom of the gas tank. I'm just curious, wouldn't the fuel filter block all that crap from being sucked into the engine?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by jaguax
This thread reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer test drives a new car and sees how far he can go with the needle on empty.

Edit - A lot of people mention how it is not good to run near empty because the engine will be sucking up the dirt and crap that settles on the bottom of the gas tank. I'm just curious, wouldn't the fuel filter block all that crap from being sucked into the engine?
Correct, that is the purpose of the fuel filter; however, then you would have a dirty and clogged filter that could manifest in other problems down the road.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:47 PM

well its like that iin every max..

maxima's our age not all but some like mines go half tank and it would be about 180 miles.. the next half tank would last about another 120 miles or more if on a highway. I know by the time i am at the 1/2 mark i have about 5~ gals left about 100 miles.. and when i see the fuel light come on i have about 30-50 miles..

There are alot of influences. Dirty fuel tanks cloged fuel filter, bad injectors, bad o2 sensor, dirty air filter, waer all play on mileage.

as you drive the fuel pump moves around and when its gets low on fuel, there is always 1~2 gal that the fuel pump wont get to, since its out of its reach. remeber its all about capacity. They are designed to hold 18.5.. but you wont use 18.5. you will get about 16.5-maybe 17.3 if you push it either way isnt good for your fuel pump..

just keep it up.. you getting average gas mileage. i think you are getting about 250 or so to the tank mixed driving. now highway should be more.

or you can get a new motor( not used), new gas tank and new fuel pump, and see how much better gas mileage you get?

or put a resever gas tank somewhere and when you need it just activate it

Old 11-03-2003, 04:39 PM

I run my car down to around empty before filling. Average fill is about 14.5 to 15 gl. I figure the 18.5 gl. is the total tank displacement. Subtract all the things inside the tank and the area you can't fill ( for expansion) and the fuel you will never get too, could add up to 3.5 gl.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:44 PM

like i said 1-2 gal you will never use.. but you have a point with the displacement. didnt think of that.. but i doubt it would be no more than 1 gal.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by crazy4maxima
well its like that iin every max..

maxima's our age not all but some like mines go half tank and it would be about 180 miles.. the next half tank would last about another 120 miles or more if on a highway. I know by the time i am at the 1/2 mark i have about 5~ gals left about 100 miles.. and when i see the fuel light come on i have about 30-50 miles..

There are alot of influences. Dirty fuel tanks cloged fuel filter, bad injectors, bad o2 sensor, dirty air filter, waer all play on mileage.

as you drive the fuel pump moves around and when its gets low on fuel, there is always 1~2 gal that the fuel pump wont get to, since its out of its reach. remeber its all about capacity. They are designed to hold 18.5.. but you wont use 18.5. you will get about 16.5-maybe 17.3 if you push it either way isnt good for your fuel pump..

just keep it up.. you getting average gas mileage. i think you are getting about 250 or so to the tank mixed driving. now highway should be more.

or you can get a new motor( not used), new gas tank and new fuel pump, and see how much better gas mileage you get?

or put a resever gas tank somewhere and when you need it just activate it

mmmm new engine yea well i figured out my gas mileage and it is a/b 21,pg being very conservative driver..with the popcharger on i got probably 15mpg due to foot to the floor syndrome...cant wait for the intake. luckily the clears i got wont make me want to drive faster. only slower so everyone can see my pimp clears lol

PS..,i have to replace the bulb with an amber one seeing as the lense is orange. right? if so whats the number?
Old 11-03-2003, 07:49 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by maximum3rdgen
PS..,i have to replace the bulb with an amber one seeing as the lense is orange. right? if so whats the number?
same part # just add an "A" or "NA" at the end to denote "amber"