3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Warpspeed Y-Pipe is on!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 02:32 PM

Warpspeed Y-Pipe is on!!!

And holy mother of god! Jesus H Christ in a chicken basket! It's quiet as hell! Wow am I happy.

We had a local mechanic do it whom my dad is very good friends with so it's probably barely gonna cost anything.

The flex section on my stock Y-Pipe was shot. A quarter of the flex material was burned/rotted off leaving a very LOUD horrible sounding exhaust. I've been driving around like that for a year!!

But now this new pipe is on and when I started it up for the first time I was like "WTF it stalled out" but then I found out that it was actually running, just EXTREMELY quietly

Very nice. I haven't had an opportunity to go WOT yet since my dad was in the car with me on the ride back home but from what I felt in that 10 minutes of driving it accelerates quicker, with almost no noise at all. But I didn't even go past 3k RPM yet.

Well anyway I just wanted to thank you guys, I would've never heard of the Warpspeed pipe and how good it is without this place. So thank you, and rock on!
Old 11-07-2003, 05:15 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

again maxima.org to the rescue !
Old 11-07-2003, 05:26 PM

Oh, oh me next, me next. I want a warpspeed y pipe soooo bad.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:09 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
Oh, oh me next, me next. I want a warpspeed y pipe soooo bad.
Well get one. I think they are $220 SHIPPED for the mandrel alum one. That is what I have. Best bang for the buck BY FAR without nitrous.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:34 AM

Man I wish it was just that easy. My modding is on hold for a while, until my little one gets here at the end of May.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:34 AM

I'm waiting on my warpspeed y-pipe and a high flow cat. With any luck they'll be on by the end of the night. I'll be able to give it a real test drive right away, so expect a post on it later. jaguax, I hope I'm as impressed as you are!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by xveganxcowboyx
I'm waiting on my warpspeed y-pipe and a high flow cat. With any luck they'll be on by the end of the night. I'll be able to give it a real test drive right away, so expect a post on it later. jaguax, I hope I'm as impressed as you are!

is the powerloss in the low RPM range too much in a VG cuz of the warpspeed y pipe???
Old 11-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just got mine from fedex today I went to two shops and they are taklikg $75 up to install. How much should I expect to pay? Looks like the o2 sensor is further back. Should I expect that to be an issue?
Thanks
Old 11-08-2003, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 94M@X
Just got mine from fedex today I went to two shops and they are taklikg $75 up to install. How much should I expect to pay? Looks like the o2 sensor is further back. Should I expect that to be an issue?
Thanks
i've been looking into having my y-pipe replaced as well...the stock y-pipe has a hole somewhere behind the heat shields and my maxima sounds loud and ricey

i got a qoute from a Midas here...they wanted $30 to put in the new pipe...dunno if thats realistic.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by drstillpatient

i got a qoute from a Midas here...they wanted $30 to put in the new pipe...dunno if thats realistic.
WTF??? I went to Midas and they wanted $125 to put it on!
Old 11-08-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
Man I wish it was just that easy. My modding is on hold for a while, until my little one gets here at the end of May.
The man's got his priorities right. That's good to see
Old 11-09-2003, 09:08 AM

I got a question about the Y pipe what is the difference between de non madre and the mandrel Y pipe????and I live in Mexico and for install they wanted like $20dlls because I went to install my muffler and they only wanted $10dlls lol
Old 11-09-2003, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jaguax
WTF??? I went to Midas and they wanted $125 to put it on!
i have a written quote from them...says. $28.00 for labor and $200 for a y pipe if i bough from them. thats why even i was wondering if that was realistc. dunno if they will give me that price if i brought my own y-pipe.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:25 AM

Well installation depends on where you go. A big name muffler shop such as Midas you should expect the highest price. If you go to a local mechanic and is a reasonable you should expect to pay a little less than Midas. Muffler shops will usually charge the cheapest. I have a friend who owns a shop with 3 lifts and all I did was to pay him for lift time and I did the whole thing myself, but I changed everything (Warpspeed Y, hi flow cat and Greddy cat-back). He charged me $50.00 to use the lift for an hour which was all it took oh yeah and I bought him lunch.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:56 AM

i was going to order a y-pipe from WSP pretty soon, but some loser here at the dorms jacked up my passenger side pretty badly. put some dents and scratches from the back part of the passenger door all the way to the front.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:08 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by atulb84
i was going to order a y-pipe from WSP pretty soon, but some loser here at the dorms jacked up my passenger side pretty badly. put some dents and scratches from the back part of the passenger door all the way to the front.
ouch! that sucks
Old 11-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

y-pipe is great

i have that one with cat and resonator/b-pipe, magnaflow. that complete setup is not quiet. very loud esp under bridges and tunnels. and wot. i like it, though.

acceleration is way better, easier and quicker. noticed that immediately. CAI complements this a lot, too.

O2 sensor is not an issue. you might as well replace it, however, when you do this swap.

get a fidanza flywheel and see even more acceleration gain.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:43 PM

i just had my y-pipe installed at a local muffler shop. was planning on installing it myself, but once i was under there, i realized i need some extensive stud work. there was no way possible that i was getting the studs out of the manifold. the shop had to heat, extract, drill, re-tap, etc etc. at the end of the day.. i paid $160 to get it installed.

the worst part is.. i havent been able to enjoy my new ypipe yet because my hi-flow cat hasnt arrived yet

walka
Old 11-09-2003, 01:00 PM
mod or sell?

Y did you put on the Ypipe without the cat?
U should just do em both at the same time
Old 11-09-2003, 01:12 PM

broken exhaust studs

this raises a good point: pretty much anyone prepared to swap out any exhaust components can expect the manifold studs to be broken. just figure that into the whole project. and plan, if possible, to replace as many things at the same time as you can. imo, i wouldn't even bother replacing only the y-pipe. do the whole exhaust system. once you see the oem rusted piece of shi*t pipes coming out of the underside, you will be glad they're gone. labor costs will be cheaper, too, if everything is done at once. save extra cash and wait and do it right. the results will be worth it.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:06 PM

I also have the stage 2 subframe connectors in route. Would I save to have tha and the y-pipe installed at the same time?
Thanks
Gil
Old 11-09-2003, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaguax

Very nice. I haven't had an opportunity to go WOT yet since my dad was in the car with me on the ride back home but from what I felt in that 10 minutes of driving it accelerates quicker, with almost no noise at all. But I didn't even go past 3k RPM yet.
Hey man have you got to take it to WOT yet? I want you to confirm for me that this mod is a necessary "go fast" mod, so I can justify buying one
Old 11-09-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
this raises a good point: pretty much anyone prepared to swap out any exhaust components can expect the manifold studs to be broken. just figure that into the whole project. and plan, if possible, to replace as many things at the same time as you can. imo, i wouldn't even bother replacing only the y-pipe. do the whole exhaust system. once you see the oem rusted piece of shi*t pipes coming out of the underside, you will be glad they're gone. labor costs will be cheaper, too, if everything is done at once. save extra cash and wait and do it right. the results will be worth it.
So true...i just had some exhaust work done...and 3 of the 6 studs on the rear manidold were broken...had to dish out $300 for that job ( .. oh well...but now i got 300ZX TT studs on there so thats some piece of mind for me.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Y did you put on the Ypipe without the cat?
U should just do em both at the same time
cat hadnt arrived in the mail yet, plus it was the only time i could drop my car off in the morning with school/work/etc. plus, the cat is bolt on, 30 min at most.

walka
Old 11-09-2003, 11:08 PM
THX
Hallelujah

Just a heads up, I sold my Place Racing CAI, Cattman SS Y-Pipe and Custom 2.5" Mandrel bent catback with Bosal muffler all for $100 to crsmax. He paid $150 to have it taken off my car an put on his.

Kinda thought we were getting ripped but I guess that's a pretty good price considering we got 2 jobs done in 1 sitting. Oh and his 3rd gen has 310,000 miles on it!!!

PS- when you guys go to have your Y's installed DON'T FORGET THE GASKETS. You can usually buy them cheaper at a strictly parts shop or online. We forget them and paid roughly $8 per gasket. Reamed I know but we had no choice!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:11 PM

all that for 100? man, thats a steal.

walka
Old 11-09-2003, 11:12 PM

310,000 miles and he just now got to a ypipe and intake??

Well, better late than never!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:14 PM
THX
Hallelujah

walka- yea I just love the 3rd gen (more than my current 4th) and I was junking my '90 with a broken tranny and berake probs. I didn't wanna see those parts rot in a junkyard!

dave- Hehe he spent more on the exterior and upkeep, looks and runs very good. He's also installing a tranny cooler. A must when you mod a 3rd gen over 130k.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by THX
walka- yea I just love the 3rd gen (more than my current 4th) and I was junking my '90 with a broken tranny and berake probs. I didn't wanna see those parts rot in a junkyard!

dave- Hehe he spent more on the exterior and upkeep, looks and runs very good. He's also installing a tranny cooler. A must when you mod a 3rd gen over 130k.
hmm. this is interesting -tranny cooler. i thought that would only come into play with forced induction.

i can see the use of it, however, n/a. especially if i keep thrashing the gearbox as i am known to do being addicted to the speed gains. so how do you get one, where do you get one, what is involved?

i have begun the search function technique. so far there are threads where people mention the cooler as a passing thought. but i have not yet found anything beyond that.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:21 AM
mod or sell?

hmm. this is interesting -tranny cooler. i thought that would only come into play with forced induction.

i can see the use of it, however, n/a. especially if i keep thrashing the gearbox as i am known to do being addicted to the speed gains. so how do you get one, where do you get one, what is involved?

i have begun the search function technique. so far there are threads where people mention the cooler as a passing thought. but i have not yet found anything beyond that.
Ask where to buy.
and I show up!
Most parts stores handle trans coolers.
Price varies with size and design.
and yes I do sell em.
You have 2 basic types : http://www.haydenautomotive.com/transmis.html
personally I like the rapid cool design because it looks closer to stock style.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:49 AM

I just bought my wsp y-pipe last week and got it this saturday. I put the car up on the ramps and got under to replace the stock y-pipe(s) that I have on there now but the bolts were rusted to hell and I couln't get them off so I will try again tomorrow. I was going to wait and have the cat back done later this month but seeing all the rust I am going to order all the rest of the stuff today and do it all at once, from the y back.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Ask where to buy.
and I show up!
Most parts stores handle trans coolers.
Price varies with size and design.
and yes I do sell em.
You have 2 basic types : http://www.haydenautomotive.com/transmis.html
personally I like the rapid cool design because it looks closer to stock style.
i see that they are oil-cooled. do you tap into the oil pan for that?
Old 11-10-2003, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by cneary812
I just bought my wsp y-pipe last week and got it this saturday. I put the car up on the ramps and got under to replace the stock y-pipe(s) that I have on there now but the bolts were rusted to hell and I couln't get them off so I will try again tomorrow. I was going to wait and have the cat back done later this month but seeing all the rust I am going to order all the rest of the stuff today and do it all at once, from the y back.
good thinking. once others begin the swap they will encounter the same scenario. this mod dovetails with CAI.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:12 AM
mod or sell?

i see that they are oil-cooled. do you tap into the oil pan for that?
they work like a radiator.
They are air cooled.
The trans oil goes through the cooler.
You will however have to tap into the trans lines
Old 11-10-2003, 11:39 AM

Just curious how much does this whole full exhaust set up usually cost from headers to mufflers.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:42 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by 3rdgenmaxima
Just curious how much does this whole full exhaust set up usually cost from headers to mufflers.
Depends on who does it.
and What parts you use.

You gonna stay stock
You gonna do full out modded
or somewhere in the middle?
Old 11-10-2003, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by THX
Just a heads up, I sold my Place Racing CAI, Cattman SS Y-Pipe and Custom 2.5" Mandrel bent catback with Bosal muffler all for $100 to crsmax. He paid $150 to have it taken off my car an put on his.

Kinda thought we were getting ripped but I guess that's a pretty good price considering we got 2 jobs done in 1 sitting. Oh and his 3rd gen has 310,000 miles on it!!!

PS- when you guys go to have your Y's installed DON'T FORGET THE GASKETS. You can usually buy them cheaper at a strictly parts shop or online. We forget them and paid roughly $8 per gasket. Reamed I know but we had no choice!

Good points THX... We got lucky with those gaskets... lol... we sort of got screwed all day, but again, the price wasn't too bad considering we got the Y and cat back done.

Walka... amen... you are right

Dave... Agreed... you gotta see it to believe it... lol... wait until all of my projects are finished...
Old 11-10-2003, 12:18 PM

I'm talking about how much will it cost in parts for full out racing exhaust from headers, y-pipe, high flow cats, etc...
Old 11-10-2003, 10:04 PM

Just got my warpspeed y-pipe and high flow cat on today. My god am I happy. No more noisy crap, good emissions (the environmentalist in me), and lots more power! Ok....it was raining today so I couldn't feel the full effect, but I broke traction any time I accelerated hard and I'd say that's like to be a good sign of some gains.

I had my buddy do it on the lift at his shop (I was at work). The minnesota winters are harsh, apparently just about every bolt broke off and now my original y-pipe is in two pieces. I'm glad warpspeed warranties their parts.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by 3rdgenmaxima
I'm talking about how much will it cost in parts for full out racing exhaust from headers, y-pipe, high flow cats, etc...

the whole system will run you about 590 + shipping go to the website it is there. I spoke with Dallas the other day and am getting the rest of the stuff this week. He was checking out a new longer (24") resinator that is quieter than the ones he has in stock so I should hear back from him tomorrow.

I got my y-pipe on yesterday (***** to do). Tell you what, I am going to have to be careful on the highway. I took it down the highway last night and was going 10mph faster than I normally go at same throttle response! And it sounds really awesome!!! Can't wait to put the rest of the cat back on next week.

Oh and the only reason that I didn't wait another week to put it all on at once was because the flex pipe was leaking so bad that I was getting CO poisoning when driving

Quick Reply: Warpspeed Y-Pipe is on!!!