3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I have a few questions!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 12:16 PM

I have a few questions!!!!!!

I'm getting a K&N setup on my car and was wondering if I should just get a drop in filter or a open air kit with K&N filter? I noticed the engine compartment gets pretty hot so perhaps a drop in filter would be better since that routes cold air from front fender. Has anyone here just got a drop in setup or did everyone go open air. Also my VTC's are ticking intermittantly and I don't really mind them ticking just wondering if when they tick is the engine getting substantial damage and if so should I just ground them till I get replacement ones? Thanks any info would be appreciated.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:29 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

i just got mine rebuilt and i set the timing wrong. if you do it yourself REMEMBER TO SET THE TIMING RIGHT !! crank at TDC, silver keys in the timing chain aligned with the marks in the sprokets. the tiking wont do alotta damage but you can ground them to be on the safe side. if you have the cash get a CAI from littlepiggie. the POP charger will just draw in hot air the drop in wont really make much of a HP diference. CAI is the way to go.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:24 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Magowin
I'm getting a K&N setup on my car and was wondering if I should just get a drop in filter or a open air kit with K&N filter? I noticed the engine compartment gets pretty hot so perhaps a drop in filter would be better since that routes cold air from front fender. Has anyone here just got a drop in setup or did everyone go open air. Also my VTC's are ticking intermittantly and I don't really mind them ticking just wondering if when they tick is the engine getting substantial damage and if so should I just ground them till I get replacement ones? Thanks any info would be appreciated.
A drop in filter won't net you any thing substantial other than a longer filter lifespan.