3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

A little smelly!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 06:52 PM

A little smelly!

I'm having a very strange problem. When I turn my heater on I smell gas. I have no idea where it is coming from and I took it up to my friend who works at Midas and he couldnt find a leak. If anyone has had this problem or know what it may be please let me know. Thanx
Old 11-08-2003, 07:00 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by JennyDu_69

I'm having a very strange problem. When I turn my heater on I smell gas. I have no idea where it is coming from and I took it up to my friend who works at Midas and he couldnt find a leak. If anyone has had this problem or know what it may be please let me know. Thanx
Ok I'll say it nicely this time
Search.
Next time not so nice

Now take your car to a real mechanic and give him time. he'll find the leak.
I'd check the injectors personally
Old 11-08-2003, 08:21 PM

Fuel injectors are a common cause for under the hood gasoline smells. Especially worse and noticeable during cold weather, as the various rubber seals shrink. I'd start there. Also check fuel lines, and the fuel filter under the hood, on the firewall. There is also a charcoal canister that traps fuel vapor, if it is overwhelmed, then you can smell gas. I've heard of bad PCV valves causing gas smells on other cars, not sure about with maximas. Do you smell gasoline fumes mainly when starting the engine in the cold? I'd also buy a chilton or haynes Maxima repair book-they arent that great, but they can explain some basics on where the under hood parts are, and various systems of the car. Maximas also can have fuel system leaks near the gas tank, near the rear of the car, so check all around the car for gasoline smells.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:35 PM

yep, check the rubber lines near the firewall and coming in and out of the fuel filter. over time the rubber hose cracks and gas seeps out. more so in the winter due to thermal contraction. it's not as bad in hotter days when the cracks are smaller.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:34 AM

it's likely the one or both of the fuel hoses which connect the fuel rails together. the hoses get brittle with age, so when they are cold the gas will leak. once it warms up which is only about 1 min the hose expands which causes the little cracks to seal. before i fixed the leak on my car i could start her up and watch the gas leak through the hoses and then seal up within a minute or two .
hope this helps.