3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Stearing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 07:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stearing Problem

Okay, I replaced my stearing gear because my stearing wheel wouldnt center. Before I replaced the gear, when I would go around right turns and then go straight, my stearing wheel would stay to the right. When I would go around left turns and then go straight my stearing wheel would stay to the left. Anyway, after replacing the gear, it now centers, however, I think I had more than one problem going on. Now when I accelerate, as the car shifts through the gears (automatic) it pulls to the right. This is more than just an allignment problem because the stearing wheel will turn if i dont hold it center and after I get up to speed, it stops pulling and drives straight and smooth. Also, If i accelerate hard I hear a poping noise comming from under the car as it pulls to the right. Any ideas? Im leaning toward mounts, gonna check them out first. If I should look elsewhere please speak up.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:49 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by landjet32
Okay, I replaced my stearing gear because my stearing wheel wouldnt center. Before I replaced the gear, when I would go around right turns and then go straight, my stearing wheel would stay to the right. When I would go around left turns and then go straight my stearing wheel would stay to the left. Anyway, after replacing the gear, it now centers, however, I think I had more than one problem going on. Now when I accelerate, as the car shifts through the gears (automatic) it pulls to the right. This is more than just an allignment problem because the stearing wheel will turn if i dont hold it center and after I get up to speed, it stops pulling and drives straight and smooth. Also, If i accelerate hard I hear a poping noise comming from under the car as it pulls to the right. Any ideas? Im leaning toward mounts, gonna check them out first. If I should look elsewhere please speak up.

Control arm bushings

As I started reading you post, first thing that came to mind was an alignment problem. Because your caster predicts how easy it is to steer and when the sterring wheel should return to center. Then you stated the replacement steering box corrected the centering problem but now it pulls as the trans is upshifting thru the gears and if you eccelerate hard you hear a poping noise which leads me to believe your control arm bushings are worn. They could be so worn that's it's effecting your caster setting.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:35 PM

I would check tour motor mounts. I went to get an alignment because my car was pulling to one side and they noticed my front motor mount was in pretty bad shape. Among the causes of the pulling problem, they said that the broken mount was causing something called torque steer. Not sure exactly how that works but its could be something to consider.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:42 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CandiMan
Control arm bushings

As I started reading you post, first thing that came to mind was an alignment problem. Because your caster predicts how easy it is to steer and when the sterring wheel should return to center. Then you stated the replacement steering box corrected the centering problem but now it pulls as the trans is upshifting thru the gears and if you eccelerate hard you hear a poping noise which leads me to believe your control arm bushings are worn. They could be so worn that's it's effecting your caster setting.
My car had that problem too when I got it. Replaced the bushings/arms and much better now. Just need an alignment
Old 11-15-2003, 09:50 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by internetautomar
My car had that problem too when I got it. Replaced the bushings/arms and much better now. Just need an alignment
Oh yeah, Matt and I sell the control arms