3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Alarm Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 10:28 AM

Alarm Troubles

I bought a 90 maxima that had a new ignition and drivers side door lock. So the key only fit the drivers side door and the ignition. Without thinking I put a new door on the car and didnt change the lock on it. Well it turns out I shoulda thought of that because now I am 100miles from home and I unlocked the car with the remote. When I opened the back door the alarm went off which as many of you know stops the car from being startable. I got the beeping to go away by pulling the fuse for the alarm and for the horn but until I can disarm the alarm the car will not start. Unlocking the door is not a option and getting the right lock is not a option until I get home. Can someone give me directions on how to disarm that alarm so my car will sstart?
Old 11-29-2003, 01:06 PM

lol , srry about ur alarm not sure how to disarm it i know that there is a unit under the dash abouve the steering wheel that is gold in color that will say something like security on it and that , thats the box that runs the alarm but dont know if u disconnect it if it will work. I dont even use mine anymore because it thinks its funny to set it self off at 3 AM in the morning every F'in night , might i add its only at night if i leave it on all day its fine but at night it goes off so my car is unprotected at night. Good luck with that alarm
Old 11-29-2003, 01:52 PM

If you use a remote to lock/unlock door - there should be an aftermarket alarm installed along with a factory one. Close all the doors and make sure that it is off (lock it and unlock again). Then try to enter a keypad code on the RH door to unlock it - never done it my self but it might work as good as a key.

Another way - diconnect the battery for a while ... (???)
Not sure about this one.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2003, 02:18 PM

okay I have no idea what I did but now it starts and the alarm is not going off. However the remote door lock buttons dont work and neither does the remote start. Oh well, at least it starts and drives. I am kinda screwed if I ever lock the doors though.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by farkum
okay I have no idea what I did but now it starts and the alarm is not going off. However the remote door lock buttons dont work and neither does the remote start. Oh well, at least it starts and drives. I am kinda screwed if I ever lock the doors though.
It's very common in the case when two alarms live together. In order to disable alarm and starter kill, it is enough to open doors with a remote and turn the key in RH front door (I had to go through this procedure couple of times too).
It should work fine now until next time ...
Old 11-29-2003, 04:25 PM
mod or sell?

sure wait 15 minutes and it should reset itself.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by rrrfoma
It's very common in the case when two alarms live together. In order to disable alarm and starter kill, it is enough to open doors with a remote and turn the key in RH front door (I had to go through this procedure couple of times too).
It should work fine now until next time ...
I wish I could do that but I dont have a key for the RH door, I only had a key for the drivers side and the ignition. They were chnaged out at one point or another so my key doesnt fit all locks
Old 12-02-2003, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by farkum
I wish I could do that but I dont have a key for the RH door, I only had a key for the drivers side and the ignition. They were chnaged out at one point or another so my key doesnt fit all locks
You can order a new lock cylinder from Nissan but it'll be not cheap.
Or you can shave it - take out the lock cylinder, insert key in it ... and shave it (so you'll be able to use your existing key but it is possible that a few other nissan keys would be able to open your door as well).