3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

alignment woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 07:16 AM

alignment woes

Q, be forewarned, sorry but search is not available

Can anyone recommend which lowering springs are best, in terms of not destroying your alignment? Mine is toast.

Are Intraxx reliable enough, or have you guys gone through tons of alignments, etc? I'm aware that camber bolts need to be applied, but which ones would you use, the 1 or 2 degree ones with Intraxx?

Thanks a lot.

-C
Old 12-03-2003, 07:21 AM
STFU n00b!

just get the 2 degree ones and you don't have to worry about not having enough.

some people have great alignment with no camber correction, others need it with stock springs. It all depends on the past history of the car. (wrecks, pothole damage, etc)

the springs shouldn't cause your alignment to continually screw up. they will take a few weeks to settle, and then should stay there after that.
if your alignment keeps changing,t hen it's usually a problem with bad bushings and suspension mounts.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:08 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
just get the 2 degree ones and you don't have to worry about not having enough.

some people have great alignment with no camber correction, others need it with stock springs. It all depends on the past history of the car. (wrecks, pothole damage, etc)

the springs shouldn't cause your alignment to continually screw up. they will take a few weeks to settle, and then should stay there after that.
if your alignment keeps changing,t hen it's usually a problem with bad bushings and suspension mounts.
All stuff that I sell!
Ok I'm broke I'm trying to sell stuff so sue me
Old 12-03-2003, 08:28 AM

I agree Matt, but I was a dumb newb and bought second hand springs that were worn, but not noticebly - no cracks, etc.

Since then, my ride has been dropped 2" all around and has incredible oversteer problems, an easily visible negative camber in the front and has ruined my front set of tires (noticed tread wear on the inside of tires after 200 hundred miles on new Blizzaks.)

So, I want to get lowering springs that actually IMPROVE my cars handling, not destroy it, while still maintaining a reasonable tread wear on my tires.

I completely understand your rationale about car history, but I never had any tire wear issues prior to this / alignment always dead on.

So the question is, are Intraxx the way to go, because I need to swap in these springs ASAP, and prolly need to purchase them today.

internetautomar :

How much for the 2 degree bolts to get them to 10940 (NY) on EOD Friday?

Thanks guys,

-C
Old 12-03-2003, 08:41 AM

BTW - any place to get cheap intrax? (besides NOPI, wholesale hyperformance ~ $209)

internetaoutmar:

Same quote for the B+G's with shipping, please. You could PM me.

Anyone else had good experience with the B+G's ?

Thanks heaps, guys!

-C
Old 12-03-2003, 08:52 AM
mod or sell?

I got 2.5* camber bolts in stock
$ a side 13.50 plus shipping
Priority mail "2 days" $10
fedex / UPS 2nd day air $17.50
Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 AM
STFU n00b!

If you want quality, Eibach is the way to go. Intrax shouldn't cause any more alignment problems than any other springs. the handling may be bad because the alignment is so far off, but can't really say without seeing the car and driving myself.

as for the settling, "worn" springs usually aren't an issue unless they're 5+ years old. heck, there's 50 yr old cars on the road with the original springs on them.. Intrax that are broken in shouldn't have any problems. if they do, all you will see is some sagging and softening, so they ride even lower than before.. that still won't FUBAR your alignment though.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:59 AM
mod or sell?

I can get eibachs
Old 12-03-2003, 09:49 AM

Thanks guys (do any of us have jobs? I do, but I'm posting in between meeting breaks. LOL)

Is the camber bolt install intensive (i.e. requires removal the struts, etc...) because if so, I'd prolly hold off untill I get the new springs as well and do the whole lot in one shot.

Thanks, you guys have been more than gracious.

Best,
-C
Old 12-03-2003, 09:59 AM
STFU n00b!

Nah.. just pull off the wheel and the top bolt of the two in the lower strut mount... then install the camber bolt and you're almost there.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:04 AM
mod or sell?

This is my JOB. I make so much money off these org members who have money to burn

Boy I wish that was true
Old 12-04-2003, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by amaxima
I agree Matt, but I was a dumb newb and bought second hand springs that were worn, but not noticebly - no cracks, etc.

Since then, my ride has been dropped 2" all around and has incredible oversteer problems, an easily visible negative camber in the front and has ruined my front set of tires (noticed tread wear on the inside of tires after 200 hundred miles on new Blizzaks.)

So, I want to get lowering springs that actually IMPROVE my cars handling, not destroy it, while still maintaining a reasonable tread wear on my tires.

I completely understand your rationale about car history, but I never had any tire wear issues prior to this / alignment always dead on.

So the question is, are Intraxx the way to go, because I need to swap in these springs ASAP, and prolly need to purchase them today.

internetautomar :

How much for the 2 degree bolts to get them to 10940 (NY) on EOD Friday?

Thanks guys,

-C
Just get you car aligned..... Your oversteer is caused by the massive neg camber (visible) in the front and not visible in the rear. Different springs aren't going to do anything different unless they are a different height.