3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

JWT Stage II Cams... JWT ECU upgrade needed? Engine problems -->

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 04:16 PM

Stage II cams installed. Engine is acting up. I think I shouldn't drive the car till I get the ECU upgrade? Something is really wrong. The car has uncontrollable RPM revs. It's in the shop right now and my teammates and working on it.
Old 02-26-2001, 04:22 PM

Call Jim and ***** him out. Then when he tries to sell you something tell him to stuff it But seriously, are there any more symptoms? Do you have all the wiring and lines set up right? Did you check the timing and valve adjustments?
Old 02-26-2001, 09:41 PM
STFU n00b!

It sounds like maybe an air or vacuum leak..

what about a sticky throttle cable or other obvious stuff like that?
Old 02-26-2001, 10:00 PM

Got back from the garage and there are still 3 people working on my car right now. The wiring and all the cables are set properly. Timing is increased to 28 degrees and valves are brand new so the adjustments are not to the right specs yet. The ECU and engine still thinks I have the original cams. I will have to spend alot of time tuning everything. My teammates had the engine running while I was at the garage and boy does that thing sound like a V8! Maybe it was the echo or the sound resonating off the walls but it was loud!

Originally posted by Maximamike
Call Jim and ***** him out. Then when he tries to sell you something tell him to stuff it But seriously, are there any more symptoms? Do you have all the wiring and lines set up right? Did you check the timing and valve adjustments?
Old 02-26-2001, 10:40 PM
STFU n00b!

Sweeeet!

try cranking your timing back to stock for right now, then advance it when you get the engine running and valves adjusted correctly... this could be part of your problem.. new cams wreaking havoc on the ECU, and extremely advanced timing.. it's probably freaking out and doesn't know what to do.

sooo, just take your timing back to stock, reset the ECU once more, and try again. see if that helps anything.
Old 02-26-2001, 11:00 PM

I went to the garage once again.. As you can tell, I miss my max very much. My teammates took out the ECU and sealed it in a box ready to be shipped to JWT first thing tomorrow morning. There's oil all over my engine. The entire intake manifold is sitting on the floor... good time to get it ported and polished huh? My pulley's were also taken out.. I'm not sure why they did this.. I think it's because they are hinting me to get UR UDP's. I won't be able to buy them till Friday (after I get my pay check). Next week is spring break so that will give me plenty of time to work on the all motor VG monster lol. Plus, I can work overtime and make a few extra $$$.

Matt, thanks for your input about the advanced timing. I didn't think about setting it back to stock. I will do that once I get my ECU back... which I'm hoping will be Friday or Saturday.
Old 02-26-2001, 11:41 PM
STFU n00b!

if you're getting the JWT ecu, then DEFINITELY return the timing to stock.. the JWT ecu advances it internally, so you don't wanna leave it advanced on the distrib also..
Old 02-27-2001, 05:10 PM

Dude its your timing!!!!!!!!!!

When I put my heads back in after fixing my broken studs my car idled like crap too. It was because my timing was set way to high. Once you guys get the cams back to normal timing, set the ignition timing back to stock 15 BTDC. After about 20-25min of break in it should start to idle alittle better. BTW get a shift light, no telling how inaccurate the stock tach is. My se-r tach is 500-600rpm off, which means at the track I was shifting way to early.

Originally posted by SkyMax
Got back from the garage and there are still 3 people working on my car right now. The wiring and all the cables are set properly. Timing is increased to 28 degrees and valves are brand new so the adjustments are not to the right specs yet. The ECU and engine still thinks I have the original cams. I will have to spend alot of time tuning everything. My teammates had the engine running while I was at the garage and boy does that thing sound like a V8! Maybe it was the echo or the sound resonating off the walls but it was loud!