3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

RWD Conversion?!? Tech pls

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

RWD Conversion?!? Tech pls

This is a current prospective project and i need possible undercarriage shots. I Have performed quite a bit of RB 240sx swaps and now have set my sights on a conversion to the cefiro. Stupid remarks need not be posted as fabbing is really not a problem to accomplish this. what is the problem is finding junkyard donor parts from various cars in order to create a project all can accomplish. The Cefiro uses a host of parts from the S13 and z31. my car is only 2 days in my possesion so im behind in the undercarriage layout. if this is not possible by any means it will be on to a VQ swap. flame away but at least contribute a piece of tech info rather than"money will make it happen". im doing this as a means for all whom desire a stateside cefiro to make their own without breaking the bank.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:42 PM

No offense, but I'd almost rather see the VQ swap pioneered than a RWD conversion.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:53 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

make a donation so you can use the search function...this topic has been discussed over and over again and is worn out
Old 12-18-2003, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
make a donation so you can use the search function...this topic has been discussed over and over again and is worn out

Do u donate? It should be sorta mandatory if we want to see the search function back online
Old 12-18-2003, 07:13 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

yes I have donated $10 in the past...but not the $20 needed to access the search or off topic.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:23 PM

The Cerfiro is RWD? i never knew that. anyways a RWD cov. has never been done to a 3rd gen from the max.org, at least not in the past 4 years.
-i think if u really intend of doing this u would be the fist and fabrication would be much more a problem then finding parts in a junk yard.

pics would really be cool
good luck
Old 12-18-2003, 09:06 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VuDuDoc
This is a current prospective project and i need possible undercarriage shots. I Have performed quite a bit of RB 240sx swaps and now have set my sights on a conversion to the cefiro. Stupid remarks need not be posted as fabbing is really not a problem to accomplish this. what is the problem is finding junkyard donor parts from various cars in order to create a project all can accomplish. The Cefiro uses a host of parts from the S13 and z31. my car is only 2 days in my possesion so im behind in the undercarriage layout. if this is not possible by any means it will be on to a VQ swap. flame away but at least contribute a piece of tech info rather than"money will make it happen". im doing this as a means for all whom desire a stateside cefiro to make their own without breaking the bank.
Matt93SE might have some underbody pics on his site, although I don't know how much help they will be since, if I'm not mistaken, they focus primarily on the suspension mods rather than the entire undercarriage.

Just a cursory glance, though, would seem to suggest you'd have a very difficult time figuring out how to run the exhaust back.

I'd offer to get pics for you, but it's almost single-digit temps w/snow on the ground here....
Old 12-18-2003, 09:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hope this isn't a no no, but here are a few underbody shots. Not the best, but a start.

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/subframe2.htm
Old 12-18-2003, 09:59 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by todamax
Hope this isn't a no no, but here are a few underbody shots. Not the best, but a start.

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/subframe2.htm
You're going to PRISON now, todamax...
Old 12-18-2003, 09:59 PM

Take the advice I gave you over at SDU and delete this post
Old 12-18-2003, 10:22 PM

1. He cant delete the post because other members have posted in it.

2. Have linksor pictures? swaps are cool.

3. 3rd gen Maxima = J30. Cefiero = A31. Different Chasis.

4. Damnit people, stop saying you want to swap in a VQ. If you want a VQ sell your car.

5. I betcha you could make it work
Old 12-19-2003, 09:43 AM

Pictures of underbody

I've got a few pictures of the underbody from when I did my y-pipe. I may be able to take more tomorrow. I just have no idea how to post pictures.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:14 PM
Large Member

It's going to be a TON of custom fabrication, cutting, welding, etc. It would really be a good idea to strip it down to a bare/rolling chassis and do it right the first time. You'd definitely need to put a fuel cell in your trunk to eliminate the stock gas tank (frees up space for a diff, etc). You'd really need to reinforce the rear half of the chassis for mounting the diff and it's "subframe". You're also going to have to completely redo the front and rear suspension. Also, you'd have to modify the front half of the chassis so that you could use a RWD crossmember, rather than the transverse/FWD ones we have. Some other major work would be cutting up the central exhaust tunnel and firewall so that a tranny would fit. After doing that, the console probably wouldn't fit since it would be quite a bit larger. I've been thinking about this for a long time, more as a mental exercise. This is going to be a ton of work, and in no way will it be worth the time and effort unless you do some sort of engine swap. Doing all that and then having a stock VG or VE is going to be very disappointing. There's enough room that you might as well do an RB/Vg30det(not dett)/etc swap if you're really going to go to all that trouble.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well me an my buddy out of oregon are looking into it.

The cefiro is a rwd rb20det powered drift car.
the infinity M30(leopard) is also RWD VG30det.
No doubt i can make it look like the cefiro but for show entry it'd have to be RWD.

We are looking at the possibilities of chopping out the tranny tunnel enlarging it.
also i know exactly where the exhaust runs so i can press a hump into the floor pan. the gas tank can be swapped for a cell and who needs a spare. The RBswaps that have taken place with the 240sx, z cars have been way easy. i think the VG30dett has been the hardest with the welding. The VQ.....which i had 3 motors laying around, Would be nice in a 240sx but shouldnt be a hard swap in an FF. What would the world be with out people like me.....oh you'd be a volkswagen owner.

You have to say itd be nice to see and be able to do it with a good walk through though.

I was typing slow so the post below entered in b4 mine...sry looks out of wak
Old 12-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Large Member

IMO buy an A31 cefiro, convert it to LHD using as many junkyard parts as you can make work, buy a trashed q45 from a junkyard, put the tags on the Cefiro, and tell the DMV it's a Q45! That will be a hell of a lot easier and they'd probably fall for it since both cars are somewhat similar.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:50 PM

"What would the world be with out people like me.....oh you'd be a volkswagen owner."

Lol, that's great. Good luck with your project, it's always good to see people trying new things.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

IMO..less talk, more doing
Old 12-19-2003, 06:36 PM

I 2nd that,

- plz keep us posted , just the thought about a TT RWD 3rd gen maxima drift car .. ahhhhhhhhh
Old 12-19-2003, 06:37 PM
STFU n00b!

What Da-Max said.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow1198
IMO buy an A31 cefiro, convert it to LHD using as many junkyard parts as you can make work, buy a trashed q45 from a junkyard, put the tags on the Cefiro, and tell the DMV it's a Q45! That will be a hell of a lot easier and they'd probably fall for it since both cars are somewhat similar.

isnt the J30 in japan a RWD? just import one from there!! problem solved.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:57 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I'm still trying to figure out why some of you continuously try to base these hypothetical "Maxima RWD conversions" off the Cefiro when the J30 is already stateside for comparison?? and besides since NEITHER share similarity to the Maixma anyways why not just base the design off any RWD 4 door sedan for that matter then?
Old 12-19-2003, 08:58 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by drstillpatient
isnt the J30 in japan a RWD? just import one from there!! problem solved.
problem solved and money spent importing for no reason, the USDM J30 is RWD.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:14 PM

problem solved and money spent importing for no reason, the USDM J30 is RWD.
well the guy obviously has money... the RWD conversion on his maxima wont be free would it...

NO actually i didnt know there was a USDM J30 as well. is it under the Infinity brand?
Old 12-19-2003, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by drstillpatient
NO actually i didnt know there was a USDM J30 as well. is it under the Infinity brand?
nevermind that...i got my answer damn that thing is ugly!
Old 12-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Large Member

I'm still trying to figure out why some of you continuously try to base these hypothetical "Maxima RWD conversions" off the Cefiro when the J30 is already stateside for comparison?? and besides since NEITHER share similarity to the Maixma anyways why not just base the design off any RWD 4 door sedan for that matter then?

I wasn't saying that you should use Cefiro parts for what I was talking about. personally, if I was going to do it, I would use J30, Q45 and other easily found parts of US cars. Though, after thinking about it long enough, I'd rather just buy a 1st gen Maxima and do an Rb20/25 swap into it for a real sleeper. That would be so much easier. Though, I'm already doing an Rb swap with my 240z, so I will be plenty happy with that!
Old 12-20-2003, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow1198
I wasn't saying that you should use Cefiro parts for what I was talking about. personally, if I was going to do it, I would use J30, Q45 and other easily found parts of US cars. Though, after thinking about it long enough, I'd rather just buy a 1st gen Maxima and do an Rb20/25 swap into it for a real sleeper. That would be so much easier. Though, I'm already doing an Rb swap with my 240z, so I will be plenty happy with that!
ive thought about buying a 1st gen for the same reason but i cant get over how ugly it is. i would rather put more time and money into a 3rd gen
Old 12-20-2003, 05:18 PM

Infiniti J30 chassis code is Y32 if i remember correctly. It has no relation to the Maxima's J30 chassis code.

What I would do is:

1. Take the engine and tranny out
2. Take everything on the fire wall off including the power steering.
3. Set the engine in there as close to the fire wall as you can and get under the car to see if you can make a cross member for the engine to sit on.
4. If you can get the engine to sit there then take it back out and start on the tranny tunnel. You'd most likely have to remove the dash and get the heater core out for the tunnel to be able to be made. The driveshaft should be able to perfectly fit down the exhaust tunnel.
5. Next I'd get it on a lift and rip out the entire rear suspension and gas tank. From there I'd grab a nice Z32 rear end or any nissan rear end with the R200 dif. If I remember correctly those are the ones that are damn near bullet proof.
6. In the engine bay again you'll need to figure out a way to move the power steering stuff to the front of the engine like on a normal rwd car since the engine is going to be sitting really far back. It shouldn't be too hard but will take a lot of fabbing, which I'm sure you are plenty capable of.

These are just some of the basics that I can think of that I myself would do. I love these kinds of setups and I'm all for them, even if some of these guys on here say they're impossible. My next Maxima project is dual engine awd... Should be fun if I can get it to work. I'd be doing these kinds of things all day long but I have no job so that makes it a bit difficult Maybe I'll get a small job around here and just do custom cars all day to sell... lol

btw, a VG30DET would be a kick *** engine to put in there being rwd. Its no longer than a VG30E(T) and the engine bay should be wide enough to fit it. Stock 255 ponies with 255 ft lb of torque... mmmm I love it!
Old 12-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hate to light such a fire but the last post from mtcookson is exactly what i had in mind. even if i cant be done there will be alot more power comming out of this 3rd gen no matter wat....cant stand stock cars.....kinda like chicks with no make up. who wants to hang with plain jane?
Old 12-21-2003, 12:55 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VuDuDoc
hate to light such a fire but the last post from mtcookson is exactly what i had in mind. even if i cant be done there will be alot more power comming out of this 3rd gen no matter wat....cant stand stock cars.....kinda like chicks with no make up. who wants to hang with plain jane?
Amen to the chick comment. And I applaud your enthusiasm on this project. I'm curious to see any progress done with this project (if but to make those here who doubt - or have misgivings - that any such project can be done, just STFU).

Part of being a pioneer is the fortitude to do things that others say can't be done or have doubts in the feasability of such projects.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:46 AM

Click my homepage, then go to the SFC link. Lots of shots there.

luck
Old 12-23-2003, 11:16 AM

fsm stuff

Old 12-27-2003, 08:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thx guys for the help and support
Old 12-28-2003, 03:02 AM

**** man.. if you really have the will power.. but damn.. think why? its already almost 14 years old.. the amount of time and money.. go buy a 95 bmw 3 series, put a blower on it, and some 18's... theres your originallity, and money well spent..

im sorry, but think about logistics of it man.. dont mean to **** on the perade.. but wow.. change the direction of an engine, gauge out a place for the tranny, rewire the entire car, change the axels, new exaust, practically rebuilding an entire car- a 1990 maxima heh. maxima love and all, but shiat.. that is just not worth it.

Q45 is what im sayin and you get a v8 with the deal.. oh yea
Old 12-28-2003, 05:51 PM

if you have the ability to fab everything yourself it could very well end up being cheaper than the cars you listed. plus, you can't be any more original than changing a fwd car to rwd. that is what you call original... or nuts lol.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:27 PM

some advice to this guy and all future RWD fantasy threads: shut up and do it, then post it. you don't need to go seeking advice from people on here by throwing around all of this jargon crap about chassis codes. buy a dam%N 3rd gen and just look at it. and use your apparent automotive sculpting genius to figure it the F*CK out.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:42 PM

Chad, what a pointless post... you already know people who want to do engine swaps and conversions and turbos do not search for old threads, so adding "all future RWD fantasy threads" to your post is pointless

(hehehe just playing with ya)
Old 12-28-2003, 10:40 PM

hmm. good point, gone in 60 seconds. long live the 3rd gen and enthusiasts. i couldn't resist this one. hope you are having a good vacation/holiday/family season. to all a good night. i have to go pee right now. back later on other posts.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:46 PM

hahahhaa

Gone In 60 Seconds was on TBS alot this weekend
Old 12-28-2003, 10:52 PM

after just getting home from driving my friends fox body 5.0 in the rain i would think this would be an excelent thing to do now get to it and right a nice how to on it when your done. if you do every thing yourself and dont go crazy on a motor this could be done for under 5grand. thats about what 4th gens are spending on there turbo kits. cheapest way to do it would be to buy a wrecked Z31 turbo with a good drive train and literaly swap everything over. pull a couple tricks on the motor and youve got a 400 REAR whp max. and i garuntee you you wee be known and well respected buy all max owners and alot of other FWD owners youd be a GOD to some people
Old 12-29-2003, 05:02 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by subs1000w
youd be a GOD to some people
Umm......

If you are going to go RWD be sure to use suspension components that are easily found so that when something breaks you can find a replacement.
I'll point out the Infiniti J30 as an example. Don't use it for a donor. at least not suspensionwise the struts are dealer only!
Just my .02

Quick Reply: RWD Conversion?!? Tech pls