3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help!!!!!

I know this has been asked before, but I am unable to use search on here so I'm gonna ask...

I have recently had problems with the charging system on my 89 Maxima GXE. When idling on a cold start, the idle would go up and down, like the car was gonna stall. When I apply the brakes, and stop at a red light, the idle will go up and down , like it is going to stall. Also noticed a big draw when I used my rear window defrost. Anyways, last Tuesday I took my car in to the shop, and had an AVR test done. My alternator was putting out 74.4 amps, and 14.37 volts. I was told I had a bad battery, so I had it replaced, with a 600 CCA. Then the car ran great all week until last night, when the symptoms came back. Would it be the ground on my battery or something else?
Old 12-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Donating member? what the?!

Originally Posted by izd_out
I know this has been asked before, but I am unable to use search on here so I'm gonna ask...

I have recently had problems with the charging system on my 89 Maxima GXE. When idling on a cold start, the idle would go up and down, like the car was gonna stall. When I apply the brakes, and stop at a red light, the idle will go up and down , like it is going to stall. Also noticed a big draw when I used my rear window defrost. Anyways, last Tuesday I took my car in to the shop, and had an AVR test done. My alternator was putting out 74.4 amps, and 14.37 volts. I was told I had a bad battery, so I had it replaced, with a 600 CCA. Then the car ran great all week until last night, when the symptoms came back. Would it be the ground on my battery or something else?

Does your alternator test (74A, 14V) mean it's running good? I don't know about what it should output, but you said that a new battery killed your problems and then later it came back.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:26 PM
STFU n00b!

it could very well be battery grounds, OR a bad cable or connectors... check all of those... very often, the crappy stock connectors are so corroded that they cause strange problems like this, but don't look to be in bad shape.
after dealing with problems like this for the first two weeks I had my car, i finally put on some old connectors I had from a stereo install, and the problems went away.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:32 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
it could very well be battery grounds, OR a bad cable or connectors... check all of those... very often, the crappy stock connectors are so corroded that they cause strange problems like this, but don't look to be in bad shape.
after dealing with problems like this for the first two weeks I had my car, i finally put on some old connectors I had from a stereo install, and the problems went away.

...and if THAT ain't a subtle plug for that ground wire kit, Matt, I don't know what is!