3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

High CO & HC emissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 07:32 PM

High CO & HC emissions

I had my car inspected and the emissions tested today and it just barely passed (previous years had very low levels, nowhere near the limit). Today CO read at .99 (limit: 1.1) & HC read at 273 (limit: 275). RPM's were at 1436. Any thoughts as to what caused the high readings. I was thinking maybe the O2 sensor or cat is on the way out. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2003, 07:41 PM
mod or sell?

I'd blame the o2 at least partially
Old 12-30-2003, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMaxVE
I had my car inspected and the emissions tested today and it just barely passed (previous years had very low levels, nowhere near the limit). Today CO read at .99 (limit: 1.1) & HC read at 273 (limit: 275). RPM's were at 1436. Any thoughts as to what caused the high readings. I was thinking maybe the O2 sensor or cat is on the way out. Thanks!

Make sure they didn't tighten the regs first. But yeah, sounds like O2 or Cat is gone.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Donating member? what the?!

I just got through reading this thread:
Failed Emissions - NOx
where I read this:
Originally Posted by eric93SE
NO emissions is mainly controlled by the cat.
I'd reccomend getting a can of liquid Sea Foam, and let the intake slowly suck it in while the enigine is idling (follow the directions).
If you cannot find sea foam, then use regular carb cleaner, unplug one of the vacuum lines running into the intake manifold and spray into the manifold. You can use the whole can (follow the directions).
Both methods will help clean your cat. I've done this before and my emissions are NEARLY ZERO (as good as new!).

Your cat is probably not spoiled, it just aquires a lot of carbon deposits over time making it less efficient.
Says something about cleaning out the CAT using seaform... a good try before spending money on a new CAT.
Oh yeah, if you go with the seafoam, you might need a cool mechanic or emissions shop to let you do a free pre-emissions check.

Good Luck

Originally Posted by GreenMaxVE
Old 01-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by super32
I just got through reading this thread:
Failed Emissions - NOx
where I read this:

Says something about cleaning out the CAT using seaform... a good try before spending money on a new CAT.
Oh yeah, if you go with the seafoam, you might need a cool mechanic or emissions shop to let you do a free pre-emissions check.

Good Luck
I have to disagree that the cat MAINLY controls NOx emissions, as I installed a new cat and didn't reduce them at all. I would however try the Seafoam, as it seemed to do a great job of cleaning out of the engine.