3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 05:03 PM

injectors

how much do injectors cost for a 93 max SE? i searched on courtesynissan, but didn't really know what to look for. a local mechanic is charging about $200. does that sound about right?

my "check engine" light is also on. is it true that faulty injectors do not bring this warning light on?
Old 12-31-2003, 05:26 PM
mod or sell?

how many injectors?
is that with or without labor?
the check engine light can be tripped by malfunctioning injectors
Old 12-31-2003, 05:29 PM

the mechanic said injector #1, with #6 on the verge of needing replacement.

cost is w/o labor and for only 1 injector. he said labor will probably cost as much or more since inj # 1 is located in a bad spot.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:42 PM
mod or sell?

Dam, can't remember which cylinder is #1
u can buy the injector for about $45 rebuilt from a-1injectors.com

I do know that when my front dead center injector was done MY mechanic did it in about 20 mins.
of course he wanted to go home too.
I also don't use your average mechanics :evil:
Old 12-31-2003, 06:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

must be nice having a mechanic

if its the front rail its easy.
if its the rear rail its not so easy.
Brians must have been the front rail, because its impossiable to do the rear rail in 20mins.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:30 PM
mod or sell?

it is nice to have a mechanic. :biggrin:
I did say front dead center didn't I?
it was actually the 4th injector to be done on my car
Old 12-31-2003, 08:43 PM

the #1 injector is in the rear

200 is way to much for 1 injector i can get brand new ones at the dealer for 120 a piece

my check engine light has never come on due to injectors and ive had plenty of problems with injectors dying
Old 01-01-2004, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by animatorelt
how much do injectors cost for a 93 max SE? i searched on courtesynissan, but didn't really know what to look for. a local mechanic is charging about $200. does that sound about right?

my "check engine" light is also on. is it true that faulty injectors do not bring this warning light on?
If check engine light is on, run ECU diagnostics, get code, and that way you will be really sure if its really the injectors or not.

'Most' mechanics are b*st*rds, IMHO, they will tell u anything and charge u anything to make money.

Finally, go to about 3-5 different places and get qoutes.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:46 AM

I've heard that rebuilt injectors are not near as good as a new injector. This info came from my friend who had to have his Honda Accord injectors replaced. This is what his mechanic told him. Is there any truth to this?
Old 01-01-2004, 05:41 AM

As others have said, that is way too much to pay for an injector, either OEM or aftermarket. I just got a quote from my discount place for OEM (Academy Nissan) ones for $88 bucks each which included the o-rings and a new pintle cap. Have the mechanic show you which injectors are bad and see if it is under the intake plenum. Then get a quote for just labor and get the parts yourself.

Take your car to Autozone and have them check the engine light for free.

Their free tool lending program is good too. I would get the injectors somewhere else though.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:20 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by kbohip
I've heard that rebuilt injectors are not near as good as a new injector. This info came from my friend who had to have his Honda Accord injectors replaced. This is what his mechanic told him. Is there any truth to this?
there is truth to that.
The rebuilt doesn't allow them as much profit.
I'm running 4 remans (92 or later)
in my 92 VE-r
and the car runs fine. but then again I have no basis for comparison I bought the car as a 3 cyl.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by kbohip
I don't have any idea about the MAx's injectors, but I have no reason to think they would be different. On my track car I had the injectors cleaned at RC Engineering. What I got back was a set of balanced and blueprinted injectors. Extremely well matched.

http://www.mr2sc.com/websites/vin-pa...njectors-L.jpg

When I was talking to the guy at RC he mentioned that even factory new injectors normally aren't nearly that close. He sent me a few charts of brand news injectors from several other model cars to prove the point.

B&B injectors can be much better then new if done by a reputable place. RC is not one of the cheap places as they charge $25 per. I have seen other places that charge $12 per.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by shoult
When I was talking to the guy at RC he mentioned that even factory new injectors normally aren't nearly that close. He sent me a few charts of brand news injectors from several other model cars to prove the point.

B&B injectors can be much better then new if done by a reputable place. RC is not one of the cheap places as they charge $25 per. I have seen other places that charge $12 per.

so how does one know whether the injectors need cleaning versus replacement?
Old 01-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

if you're tight on money, this is what i've always done for injectors...
call around to all of the salvage yards and see if you can get a whole fuel rail off of him. i've got a few connections but i've often come up with like new rails for 50 bucks. better than 100+ for injectors individually. best thing is, is you want to, you can use an injector tester and pick and choose from the 12.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
in my 92 VE-r
care to explain?
Old 01-02-2004, 07:41 AM
mod or sell?

secret prototype model. never released to the public
Old 01-02-2004, 08:46 AM

so how does one know whether the injectors need cleaning versus replacement?
Send them in. They'll tell you. If they can't get them to match or have good flow patterns they'll tell you how many need replacing.

If your car idling ok and running on all 6 chances are the injectors can be redone. If your car has a cylinder out (because of an injector) then it probably needs to be replaced (just a rule of thumb).

Any tests you do at home will only tell you if it's okay electrically. It won't tell you anything about flow patterns, spray patterns, drips, leaks and the important stuff. The tests you do at home are more a go-no go test.

$12 a pop at a cheap place is money well spent for the diagnosis, cleaning, balancing of 6 injectors.