3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

IACV and EGR Questions (Turbo guys read)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 11:57 AM

IACV and EGR Questions (Turbo guys read)

Ok now blockin off the EGR would do what , i mean i understand that its gunna stop a small amount of hot air from getting in but will it make that much of a diff. I understand that when i put my turbo on im gunna have to block it off to get pressure to the turbo but what kind of gains would u get with out a trubo just blockin it off will it actually help u that much,

Secondly IACV (Incrediably Assinine Coolant Valve) what is the purpose of this i see that it must react with the temp of the coolant and allow more/less air to get into the manifold unno one thing on the VG that im not sure about what would the purpose of this gaget be and when i tried putting a cover plate on it , it made my engine idle really weird i mean it was doing thet mombo (shakin like a mother) ideling at 500rpms any help on this thing would be great.

Lastly u guys who have turbos , on ur intake all those little vac lines that run into the intake does the boost shoot them off or is it not enough to make a diff, also dont u loose vacumm then also and if u loose vacumm wouldnt the breaks theareatcly not work when ur under boost (except for that one or two pushes ull have from stored vac) just wondering dont wanna be in for any suprises when i put the turbo on hopefully this month.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

no EGR means your NOx will shoot through the roof.
gains...the tube is about 11mm ID...how much exhaust you think gets past that?

without this hooked up and working properly your car will not start during cold start. if you don't believe me then take the hose out and see how well the car will start...(and i don't count holding the gas down while cranking starting properly).

use a zip tie on the lines/hoses. (i can't understand the rest of the paragraph)

wanna bet you won't finish this month?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:38 PM

well that helped......kinda

i did block off the IACV and it did start , only it ran weird and it was around 35 - 40 the smorning in buffalo NY i still dont understand the purpose of it ,how does it help ur car to run in the cold,

The brakes run off the vacumm from the intake the vacumm is what powers the brake booster so i fugured if there is pressure and not suction that the brakes may not work properly just wondering

Thnks for the support about finishing this month.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

DanNY, I thought you were saying that with out the EGR his car wouldn't start properly, then I realized you were responding to the second paragraph . Also you should see what I have to go threw sometimes to get my mustang to start (stupid mechanical fuel pump + car sitting alot).

90SEBlack- About the brakes, if under boost, yes they will work, just the might not be as easy because I dont think the brake booster would work while your boosting. However the simply solution to this is to use your right foot for the brakes

For the other vacuum lines, the VI has a storage tank, I believe the heater thing has a check valve, I dont think it will be much of a problem, if it is, you can just add a check valve or maybe a just add a T to the vacuum storage tank.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 90SEBlack
well that helped......kinda

i did block off the IACV and it did start , only it ran weird and it was around 35 - 40 the smorning in buffalo NY i still dont understand the purpose of it ,how does it help ur car to run in the cold,

The brakes run off the vacumm from the intake the vacumm is what powers the brake booster so i fugured if there is pressure and not suction that the brakes may not work properly just wondering

Thnks for the support about finishing this month.
hmmm...might have a leak..but it usually doesn't start.
it controls how much air gets in your engine when the throttle is closed.

how often are you going to rev and hit the brakes at the same time? you'll be ok.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:43 PM

IACV uses the heat from the coolant to heat up wax, that makes alittle valve close allowing less air into the engine as it heats up (during idle). Cold engines need more air to run and get upto operating temperature. Does that make sense? I can get you the FSM pages if you want.

If it helps any, I hope you finish this month. Infact after looking at your page again I started to think about building a setup, using crush bends and just running a few pounds (no more than 5) just for kicks, because the piping wouldnt cost much, but then I would have to buy the turbo. Maybe I'll do it sometime, right now I want to get the rest of the car in tip top shape though.

Also sometime I'd like to ask you about how you did the ECU programing, if you dont mind
Old 01-03-2004, 12:45 PM

thanks for the help MrGone that was exactly what i needed to know

And yes im not one of the pollock 2 feet drivers , I know what u mean if i let off the gas theres no boost so the brakes should work. LOL thnkx again for the answer
Old 01-03-2004, 12:56 PM

well the brakes will work either way (lets just say disconnect the vacuum line because thats the same as if it saw boost), you could still stop, you just wouldnt have the power assist so you would have to stomp on the brakes harder.

Dont really want you going around thinking when your boosting your brakes wont work. They will, it will just require alot more pedal effort. (like my mustang lol)
Old 01-03-2004, 01:44 PM

Well hopefully ill get it done this month, I kinda put plans on hold for a month or two for the snow just didnt wanna deal with a wet cold car and garage so ... may have been a mistake cuz weve only gotten like 10" total here in Buffalo, dont ask its the weirdest winter iv seen and iv been here for all 19 yrs of my life except for the 2 i lived in heaven i mean FL. anyway i prolly could have been done by now
Old 01-03-2004, 02:17 PM

iacv is your idle air control valve. it controls your idle like the name says. you definitely want to keep that on. the egr valve is just more government emissions bull**** so if you don't have any emissions testing around there you can take it off.

i've not had any trouble at all with hoses blowing off from boost yet. as long as they are on there pretty tight you shouldn't have any coming off.

as for the brake booster you will have brakes under boost like they said, however, i thought there was a check valve on there so vacuum is stored... but i could be wrong. either way you shouldn't have to worry.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by 90SEBlack
Well hopefully ill get it done this month, I kinda put plans on hold for a month or two for the snow just didnt wanna deal with a wet cold car and garage so ... may have been a mistake cuz weve only gotten like 10" total here in Buffalo, dont ask its the weirdest winter iv seen and iv been here for all 19 yrs of my life except for the 2 i lived in heaven i mean FL. anyway i prolly could have been done by now
If you don't want your EGR valve to "hinder" performance, unplug the connector going to it, and it shouldn't open as a result.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:13 AM
No turbo, no care!

[QUOTE=90SEBlack]Ok now blockin off the EGR would do what , i mean i understand that its gunna stop a small amount of hot air from getting in but will it make that much of a diff. I understand that when i put my turbo on im gunna have to block it off to get pressure to the turbo but what kind of gains would u get with out a trubo just blockin it off will it actually help u that much, QUOTE]

Blocking off your EGR will NOT make a noticeable difference on a natural aspirated car. Even though the gas that is recirculated is “hot”, it actually keeps the cylinder temperature down.
No you don’t “have to” block it off for the turbo. Infact, I would highly recommend leaving it if you are turboing the Maxima engine since it will help reduce detonation. If you have 8:1 pistons, feel free to block of the EGR and brace yourself for the extra 1-2 HP increase.