3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

JWT stage 2 cams & ECU upgrade a success! sound clip inside -->

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001 | 04:31 PM

I got my ECU from JWT and also recieved my UR UDP today so I had them installed. I reset the timing back to 15 degrees. After that was done, I started the car up and everything was running fine. I took the max out for a test drive and I came back with a huge smile on my face. I had a few of my teammates drive my car. One guy was breaking loose half-way through 2nd gear! They are pretty happy with the results. My teammates want me to show up at E-town on March 10 along with our fully built all motor integra non-vtec. They are pretty confident that I could possibly break 14's.. but we'll see. I'm not too sure about that.

I recorded a sound clip of my max with the UR UDP, Cams, ECU, ported intake manifold, and PR Intake... that's it. If the link below doesn't work, you may have to copy & paste. Geocities have been acting up so I hope this works for everyone. The WAV file is about 800kb.

http://www.geocities.com/teamkayo2/s...n_drive_by.wav
Old 03-02-2001 | 06:32 PM

Overloaded your poor little mic there at the beginning! Sounds mean!
Old 03-02-2001 | 07:15 PM

heh niiiice sounds sweet, who was driving? hehe
Old 03-02-2001 | 07:19 PM

hehe I've been saying that for a long time....

Now if my head gasket didn't let go I was going to try the JWT ECU. Since I had basically the same head work your car should perform alot better than mine. Even with the mild ISKY cams (a.k.a. "Euro cams") my car pulled like a VQ did in the toppend. BTW get a shift light no tell how inaccurate your tach is, also you should dyno your car so you can find the right shift points. Not to mention it would be nice to have some VG 5spd dynos. At a dyno meet we did back in jan 00, one of the Z31 guys with simular mods as you (minus the JWT ECU and UDP, cams) did like 159hp @ 5200rpm, 171tq @ 3600. This is with the same cams I had in my car and headwork with a valve job. I figured my auto would have been around 140-150hp since I had the same mods.
Old 03-02-2001 | 09:15 PM

Wiggity-wiggity-word. Mmm..
Old 03-02-2001 | 09:32 PM

hey that link doesnt work
Old 03-02-2001 | 11:24 PM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That sounds absolutely brilliant. Congrats.

Old 03-03-2001 | 05:10 AM

dayyum! Wow, sounds great Nevin. I think Im going to take a couple sound clips of mine and see how they come out. Nice throaty sound.
Old 03-04-2001 | 10:06 PM

Thanks everyone.

Brandon90gxe, I was driving and my friend's were video taping.
Old 03-05-2001 | 12:36 AM

How much did this cost you? Did you install your self?
Old 03-05-2001 | 01:37 AM

Ahh the cam install...

As far as I know there are 2 ways of installing cams (that is unless Skymax found a new way, if so email me hehe). One way is to pull the cylinder heads, this method would take a DIY with proper tools about 2 days to complete. A shop might charge around $500-900 labor alone. The other method is to raise the engine so you can slide out the cams. This way might be quicker because all one has to do is remove the drive axles, engine/tranny mounts, hoses/sensor connectors that might be in the way. Also if you going to install cams, replace the T-belt, tensioner, both cam oil seals, maybe the front crank oil seal too.

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
How much did this cost you? Did you install your self?
Old 03-05-2001 | 10:41 PM

Re: Ahh the cam install...

The cams costed around $600 with shipping and the install was free since we(my teammates) have our own shop. I had to replace other parts of the engine so that came to around $150. The way we installed the cams was by removing the intake manifold and the heads.. this is the first way that Nismo was talking about. The 2nd way is harder for us since we can't use the lift.
Old 03-05-2001 | 10:50 PM
STFU n00b!

Mmmm nice growl... I wonder if my car sounds anything like that..

I don't even know what mine sounds like except from the driver's seat.. noone else has ever or will ever thrash my Max for me to find out either!
Old 03-06-2001 | 09:38 AM

Since we're on the topic of taking apart engines... What is involved with rebuilding an engine. My engine has 150k miles on it and I'm think about getting it worked on when it reaches about 175. How much does it cost, what do they do, and how much longer will the eninge last? When I get it redone what mods should I have done to the engine? I've heard things like replacing things with Z parts and stuff. Does anyone have like an FAQ article or something? By the way great sounding car!
Old 03-06-2001 | 04:26 PM

Unless your burning alot of oil

It would be a waste of money to rebuild. when you do a compression test if all your numbers are within spec you don't need a rebuild. But if you do want to do a rebuild get some custom 11.0 compression pistons, headwork, JWT cams/ECU.

Originally posted by HotMax28
Since we're on the topic of taking apart engines... What is involved with rebuilding an engine. My engine has 150k miles on it and I'm think about getting it worked on when it reaches about 175. How much does it cost, what do they do, and how much longer will the eninge last? When I get it redone what mods should I have done to the engine? I've heard things like replacing things with Z parts and stuff. Does anyone have like an FAQ article or something? By the way great sounding car!
Old 03-07-2001 | 04:02 PM

Originally posted by SkyMax
Thanks everyone.

lets see the videos!!!
Old 03-07-2001 | 06:37 PM

Hey Skymax.....

What are your opinions on the effectiveness and gains from the UDRP? I'm thinking about getting a new power mod and don't have too much money to spare. I've read most of the websites and posts, but I would like to actually hear opinions of someone who has it on their car. Thanks a lot.

Peter
Old 03-07-2001 | 08:15 PM

link doen't work.. it says that the page is no longer available... perhaps you should change the title of the file!! geo may have nixed it based on "drive by"

Fro
Old 03-08-2001 | 11:18 AM

haha... well I tried to capture video on my computer but no luck. I have a video-editing program called Snappy and I think it's corrupted cuz it doesn't work! I downloaded 4 or 5 shareware video-editing programs and I still couldn't get my computer to capture video from the video camera. How does everyone else upload video clips?? I want to show everyone my VG30ET engine swap. I didn't get to take any pics but I had it on video.

Originally posted by Bryan91SE
Originally posted by SkyMax
Thanks everyone.

lets see the videos!!!
Old 03-08-2001 | 11:29 AM

I think the Under-drive pulley's are one of the best bangs for the buck. The power is VERY noticable throughout the entire RPM band. The problem with having UDP's is that your alternator loses power so that means no amps or subs for your stereo system. Honestly, I can't really give you input on the power from the UDP's alone because I had my cams installed at the same time.

<b>Froman:</b> Try typing the link address in your browser. If Geocities still gives you an error, then I'll try to rename the file or I could e-mail it to you.
http://www.geocities.com/teamkayo2/s...n_drive_by.wav

Originally posted by ghostmax
Hey Skymax.....

What are your opinions on the effectiveness and gains from the UDRP? I'm thinking about getting a new power mod and don't have too much money to spare. I've read most of the websites and posts, but I would like to actually hear opinions of someone who has it on their car. Thanks a lot.

Peter
Old 03-08-2001 | 11:37 AM

LOL... I'll gladly drive your max so you can hear what it sounds like outside the car. You will be suprised how loud the VG roars!

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
Mmmm nice growl... I wonder if my car sounds anything like that..

I don't even know what mine sounds like except from the driver's seat.. noone else has ever or will ever thrash my Max for me to find out either!
Old 03-09-2001 | 11:52 AM

Skymax

I should have my car back with the stage 1 cams and rebored throttle body in by the end of next week. I was wondering if you noticed an difference in the top speed or did your top change?
I'm hoping that the throttle body will make an little difference, I sent it to http://www.ProFlowDesign.com they sent me the rebore size : Rebored twin bore from 45mm to 49mm each bore, airflow increase 18.5% max.
Old 03-09-2001 | 12:57 PM

Re: Skymax

I had my intake manifold ported which might have helped airflow slightly. The car definitly climbs faster in the top end. I never tried to do a top speed run in my max and I don't plan to either. It's too dangerous.. I don't feel safe when going over 120mph especially on V-rated tires. My mpg has dropped too. I can barely get 200 miles with a fuel tank of gas. When traveling at highway speeds (like 75mph) my RPM's are at 3500 which I think is way too high!

Originally posted by Tonio90max
I should have my car back with the stage 1 cams and rebored throttle body in by the end of next week. I was wondering if you noticed an difference in the top speed or did your top change?
I'm hoping that the throttle body will make an little difference, I sent it to http://www.ProFlowDesign.com they sent me the rebore size : Rebored twin bore from 45mm to 49mm each bore, airflow increase 18.5% max.