3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

the manual to auto climate control swap has been done

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

the manual to auto climate control swap has been done

2 times now at least . Craig B came down here to MS to help me take my auto climate control unit and wire it into my SE. I am selling the GXE but didnt want to lose the ACC.

He did his during the week (with parts from the junk yard) to see what we were up against and we did mine Friday night and yesterday. We had a little problem with it (both cars were not reading the ambient sensor correctly) because I read the wrong wire on the ecu in the gxe. We figured it out this morning and everything works perfect now on both our cars.

To be honest I dont think I would have done this without his help. It is a LOT OF WORK. A lot of soldering existing wires, running new ones and swapping control motors and such. We also put the manual control unit in the GXE but have 1 more small thing to iron out on it.

I have my dash all apart so I will take pics of mine later this week but Craig will probably take some of his tomorrow before he leaves...if not I will take some myself.

He IS THE MAN when it comes to this kind of stuff and I am still a little confused about what all we did LOL.

For those that are going to ask how to do it and all...let me tell you this.

It is very difficult and extreemly time consuming. I wouldnt recomend anyone that doesnt have extensive knowledge of wiring and reading schematics to mess with it. Even if a write up was done it will still be hard to explain how to do it if you dont know how to read a schematic or dont have a fsm.

I am glad we did it though and am happy to be part of the pioneering of this swap (although my part was really just to supply cars LOL).

I know its not a big deal to you Canadians but in the US I have never seen an SE with auto climate...at least not a VE SE for sure. There are 2 for sure now though .
Old 01-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Ford Only.

Oh man that is sweet. If you look at my visor conversion below I JUST asked about it. I really want to do this, my manual controls make the car look crappy. My father is VERY good with wiring and such and I have a FSM and Chiltons, he helped me do the homelink wiring and busted it out pretty quick. I NEED to do this, if one of you guys could seriously "tell me how to do this" haha that would be great, let me know what needs to be done, I am going to start searching for the parts, what else do I need besides the unit?

dmontzsta@werd.com
Old 01-18-2004, 10:17 PM

Great job to both of you! I had ACC in my GXE, and I always thought it was much classier. But I like the manual unit too though it doesn't look as cool.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've wanted to do this for a while, but just never looked into it. I suppose if I had 2 cars like you it would motivate me some more, lol.

way to go Craig and Michael!

pics

I actually didn't know 3rd gens had the auto climate control until after we got the 5th gen, The 5th gen has it, and while at first I didnt like it, now I do, I think it's cool.

I'm with Donald with this one, could you possiable make a parts list and stuff for us? That would be sooo helpful and awesome/great
Old 01-18-2004, 10:33 PM

id really apreciate it if you just posted a parts list also i could proboly figure out how to hook it all up

graat job guys

next feat to concure ABS convertion
Old 01-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by subs1000w
id really apreciate it if you just posted a parts list also i could proboly figure out how to hook it all up

graat job guys

next feat to concure ABS convertion
I want to do that on my 97...

Man, sooo much to do, so little money. I am sure we can all feel that
Old 01-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

OK guys...I am not the one to tell you how to do this. Craig did all the research and when I was helping him I didnt have a write up...I was just going by his directions. He will probably post his thoughts later.

I will give you a list of parts you will need though.

1. sunload sensor
2. intake sensor
3. in vehicle sensor
4. ambient sensor
5. air mix motor
6. fan control amp
7. a whole lot of wire
8. the control unit itself
9. linkages for the max cold and temperature control

Like I said it is a lot of wiring. We had to make most of the wiring and used very little of what was already there.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Now you've done it, another question that you will be bug with.

"How do you install E36"
"How do you change the .25 panel"
"How did you do your door handles"
And now
"How do you swap the climate control units"

I dont know about others, but to me this is definately a "one of" mod As stated if both cars were side by side and the knowledge and skills were there it's a doable project, but for me "one of"

Pics of the SE new ACC would be nice, both day nad night. Good job Mike and Craig.

MIKE
Old 01-19-2004, 09:29 AM

Just wondering what controls speeds 1-3 on the blower motor with the autoclimate control, as mine doesn't work. Is it the "amplifier" with the auto climate control (versus a blower motor relay or resitor for the manual climate control)? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I asked about this like 3 years ago and Craig told me no.

lol
Old 01-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by N34JZ
I asked about this like 3 years ago and Craig told me no.

lol

yeah but I got him motivated to do his own so he researched and tried it. LOL.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by MaximamixaM
Just wondering what controls speeds 1-3 on the blower motor with the autoclimate control, as mine doesn't work. Is it the "amplifier" with the auto climate control (versus a blower motor relay or resitor for the manual climate control)? Thanks in advance.

fan control amp.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by awsm66
OK guys...I am not the one to tell you how to do this. Craig did all the research and when I was helping him I didnt have a write up...I was just going by his directions. He will probably post his thoughts later.

I will give you a list of parts you will need though.

1. sunload sensor
2. intake sensor
3. in vehicle sensor
4. ambient sensor
5. air mix motor
6. fan control amp
7. a whole lot of wire
8. the control unit itself
9. linkages for the max cold and temperature control

Like I said it is a lot of wiring. We had to make most of the wiring and used very little of what was already there.
This is going to take some time
Old 01-19-2004, 01:23 PM

like Michael said, it is a LOT of work and if you're not very comfortable with wiring and basic electronics, I would not even attempt this
I got lucky and found a car at the local junkyard and it had all the pieces I needed in good condition.
Sorry Jason, I had thought about it a while back too and decided it was way too much work than its worth, but I recently graduated and have a lot of time So I studied the FSM and figured out what needed to be done.

I'll probably eventually be posting a how-to later this week or something, I'll add it to this thead when it's ready. But like I said, even with a write-up, it's a lot of work and a lot of stuff that can be messed up.

Here are pics of it installed in my car:

Old 01-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
like Michael said, it is a LOT of work and if you're not very comfortable with wiring and basic electronics, I would not even attempt this
I got lucky and found a car at the local junkyard and it had all the pieces I needed in good condition.
Sorry Jason, I had thought about it a while back too and decided it was way too much work than its worth, but I recently graduated and have a lot of time So I studied the FSM and figured out what needed to be done.

I'll probably eventually be posting a how-to later this week or something, I'll add it to this thead when it's ready. But like I said, even with a write-up, it's a lot of work and a lot of stuff that can be messed up.

Here are pics of it installed in my car:
You know I MUST do this now right? I wont rest until it is done...
Old 01-19-2004, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by dmontzmax
allright, good luck with it

the FSM has all the info you need; let me know if you need any help
Old 01-20-2004, 02:54 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Dang, Craig... with all the Max projects I've got on the table, you and Michael throw THIS out there?? Oh well.... Yet another one to add to the ever-lengthening list of "to do" mods.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dmontzmax

haahahaahahahahaha