3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VTC's or suspension????

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 05:33 AM

VTC's or suspension????

Ok, need a little help here. Last Friday I went by a local repair shop here in Tulsa and spoke with a "nissan mechanic". I was actually in there about my AC idler pulley, but I asked him about my VTC's and he said that I should not drive with them faulty for to long. He said that he has rebulit VTC's many times and would charge me about $450-480 in labor. He also said that if I drive with faulty VTC's for to long they could possible knock a hole through some plate in my engine and basically destroy it. Does this sound right? I've never heard of this happening with anyone else.
Reason I ask is, because I'm thinking about taking my car in on Friday to have the VTC's rebulit, but I'm trying to decide which would be better to do at this point. My cv joints are starting to click pretty bad when I turn, and I'm wondering if I should have the cv joints replaced and replace my springs and struts with sprint and Tokio or if it is more beneficial to have the VTC's replaced at this point. I changed my oil filter to the Toyota filiter and haven't had the VTC's tick that much since then. What are your suggestions???
Old 02-11-2004, 06:25 AM
Way out West

My VTCs tick like a **** and I've been driving like that for a year. I bought my car from my brother and he said it started ticking pretty bad at around 120-125k (it has 147k now). Of course, all cars are different (yours may blow up at any time -- j/k) but I can't remember anyone saying they put a hole in anything. If that were to happen, it likely would have happened to mine long ago.

I would definitely do the CV joints first. If you are that worried about the VTCs, then ground them. I am sure you could go another year with your VTCs ticking, but when your axles go bad, it can be messy.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:38 AM

i say fix the cv first....the vtc guy seems like he really wants you to get it done quick which kinda questions his experience/motive....could he by any chance supply names of people that are happy with his vtc rebuild and still have the car running good and all that? If he turns out to be true to his word, cv axles and vtcs. suspension can wait as long as you're not bouncing all over. if not..well cvs. besides, they are real cheap and easy to change...you should be able to do it in ~2 hrs yourself at a cost of about $120 or so (fresh tranny oil, seals, axle - $60)
Old 02-11-2004, 09:46 AM

Does anyone have a write up on how to replace the cv's or axels??
Old 02-11-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

I've only heard of one person having their VTC assemblies break. It ruined the whole motor because of course it allows the cam timing to go haywire. You are "probably" okay with letting them tack for awhile. It's good that people are taking my advice and using the Toy filter. I gotta take my own advice and get some more.

If your CVs are clicking bad(for some time), I'd do those first. It's cheaper anyway. Just replace both assemblies with some quality aftermarket units. Remember to replace both tranny output shaft seals too.

If you don't know how to replace them, get a Chiltons/Haynes/Nissan FSM. It's pretty easy.

Also take this opportunity to flush the tranny with new fluid
Old 02-11-2004, 10:02 AM

My CV's haven't been clicking real bad, but it has been noticable for about the past 9 months whenever I make hard turns. But I figured that with 167k on my Max I should take this oppurtunity to replace the cv's and original springs and struts.

As far as my VTC's, I started using the Toyota filter about 2 month ago and since then I've only heard the VTC's tick about twice. And that was only after the car idled for an extended period of time.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Ford Only.

Fix your CVs before your axle wears out and falls out like mine did and my mother in laws this past weekend.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:05 AM

ok i know i'll sound like a retard for asking this do the vtcs tick and sound like lifters going :clack clack clack:?
Old 02-11-2004, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by lophix
ok i know i'll sound like a retard for asking this do the vtcs tick and sound like lifters going :clack clack clack:?

Yep!!!!!! 8910
Old 02-11-2004, 10:20 AM

uh oh....it better not be my vtcs doing that!!!! :Rage: it's sporadic right now...toy filters, here i come
Old 02-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Lophix its just a matter of time until the tick hits LOL.

I thought I was lucky the first couple of months I had my car and then all of a sudden...tick tick tick...doh.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:32 AM

Can someone hook me up with the toyota filter #, My car only has 35k on it, and i just changed my oil and used a p.o.s. fram oil filter and it ticks like none other. Also does someone have the link to the thread where they compared what oil was better for the max?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

90915-yzza2
Old 02-11-2004, 12:36 PM

Does anyone have a good write up with pics of how to replace the cv's. I plan on picking up a chiltons also.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:39 PM

drain tranny oil, remove wheels, remove center bolt, disc. strut tower, pull hub out, yank cv out, remove, seal.....replace in reverse...am i right? btw check out autozone.com They have a repair manual online
Old 02-11-2004, 01:38 PM

lophix, I was checking out your website and I like the way your car sits. What size tire are you running, because I love you wheel gap (or lack there of) and it seems really low for ebiachs.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:30 PM

:sniff: you bring back good memories :sniff:

That was my 91 in her prime....she's all torn apart now. tires were 215 50 17 or 215 55 17 (latter sounds more like it)
Old 02-11-2004, 02:42 PM

Hey are there any other write ups for installing springs and struts, besides the one on 4dsc.com. The write up on that site is kinda confusing to me, when it talks about filling up the new struts with oil. Do you have to do this to all new struts or just the Tokicos?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Grant, I've been meaning to reply but haven't lol.
Your VTC's aren't bad, lol (Red92MaxSE's on the other hand..... ). They are just in the baby stages.

Right now I'm almost done installing my suspension stuff, the oil thing, I just used Automatic Transmission Fluid and dumped alittle in (if you have too much it will spill out the sides, if it doesnt do that, then just pull the strut out and see how much is in there (you can tell by how high it goes up the side of the strut. I filled mine to about 3" from the top).
Old 02-11-2004, 03:51 PM

What are the draw backs of just replacing my springs and going with Eibachs, Intrax or Sprint with oem struts??
Old 02-11-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

Using your current ones? Will bounce like a lowrider on switches
Using new oem? Will be okay for a little bit, THEN bounce like a low rider on switches

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
What are the draw backs of just replacing my springs and going with Eibachs, Intrax or Sprint with oem struts??
Old 02-11-2004, 04:03 PM

Well, that sucks. I'm not trying to sound like a cheap skate , but I'm trying to do this for as cheap as possible.(axels, springs, struts) I have a baby boy that will be here at the end of May and bonus checks only stretch so far. Any suggetions? I saw a combo of Srint and Tokico for $458 shipped and with cv's running about $150, I'm looking at spending a little of $600.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Using your current ones? Will bounce like a lowrider on switches
Using new oem? Will be okay for a little bit, THEN bounce like a low rider on switches
you're one of a kind, Jeff. lol
Old 02-11-2004, 04:10 PM

Grant, you could try looking for used ones, MaDMaX024 wants to sell his for another setup, might want to talk with him.

Sadly I think suspension is the most expensive thing to upgrade on the car
Old 02-11-2004, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by bobbydigital450
Can someone hook me up with the toyota filter #, My car only has 35k on it, and i just changed my oil and used a p.o.s. fram oil filter and it ticks like none other. Also does someone have the link to the thread where they compared what oil was better for the max?
35k and ticking already??? D'oh! That number is written on my desk...in sharpie
Old 02-11-2004, 04:29 PM

Actually after doing some more looking and figuring I can pick up the Eibach, Kyb combo for $426.90 (From Brian = Internetautomart) or the Sprint, Kyb combo for $50 less. I like those numbers, which combo do you guys recommend?
Old 02-11-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ok. On a budget. I'd search for some used springs. ie.. ST or Eibach. Sprints and similar springs will kill your camber(ie.. tires) unless you spend $ on camber kits and get your rear suspension adjustable for camber. If you can't find some GOOD used shocks, buy Tokico front shocks and some generic rears. There is ALOT more weight on the front of the car. This would get you by in a pinch. ie.. KYBs might be a good choice. Then if there any $ left over, try to buy an used ST or ADDCO rear sway.

If you are really cheap, you "could" buy a boot kit for the cv joint and clean/regrease/reboot the CV IF they aren't too bad. I'd go ahead and do both boots on whatever side the current bad cv joint is one. I did this on my old maxima and it performed fine. but the boot was only split for a week or two and never developed a click.

Well, that sucks. I'm not trying to sound like a cheap skate , but I'm trying to do this for as cheap as possible.(axels, springs, struts) I have a baby boy that will be here at the end of May and bonus checks only stretch so far. Any suggetions? I saw a combo of Srint and Tokico for $458 shipped and with cv's running about $150, I'm looking at spending a little of $600.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:37 PM

Ok. On a budget. I'd search for some used springs. ie.. ST or Eibach. Sprints and similar springs will kill your camber(ie.. tires) unless you spend $ on camber kits and get your rear suspension adjustable for camber.
Well, the Eibach, KYB combo would fit into my budget at $426, and if the sprint springs are going to mess up my camber I will stick with the Eibachs.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:38 PM

Jeff, he posted above that the CV's are clicking

Guys, seriously, the RSB..... Best suspension mod, makes such a huge difference, It's awesome. I listened to Jeff when he told me to get one and couldn't be happier.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:45 PM

Well, the Eibach, KYB combo would fit into my budget at $426, and if the sprint springs are going to mess up my camber I will stick with the Eibachs.

Well, it looks like I messed up on calculating the shipping (added the springs after the strut order was already calculated) and it will be around $469. Which still isn't bad, but I'm not as happy.

After more searching it seems that I could pick up the Kyb's from brian and the Eibachs from ebay (new) and it will run $436, so I'm happy again.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
Jeff, he posted above that the CV's are clicking

Guys, seriously, the RSB..... Best suspension mod, makes such a huge difference, It's awesome. I listened to Jeff when he told me to get one and couldn't be happier.
Even better than rims?
Old 02-12-2004, 05:37 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by vwink182
Even better than rims?
Yup. Rims are mostly an aesthetic thing at the 15-16 level 17 starts moderate increase in handling, 18, now you're running rubber bands.

TIRES otoh are what makes a MAJOR difference in handling, I'm referring to getting a good tire not the size of the tire.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:43 AM

Interesting....I was under the impression that moving to a 16 inch or 17 would improve handleing dramatically. Eibachs will do a lot more for me? How about just a FSTB and RSTB to compliment my factory sways [impoorlikeeveryoneelse]
Old 02-12-2004, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by vwink182
Interesting....I was under the impression that moving to a 16 inch or 17 would improve handleing dramatically. Eibachs will do a lot more for me? How about just a FSTB and RSTB to compliment my factory sways [impoorlikeeveryoneelse]
I'd probably upgrade the RSB first, actually, I did upgrade the RSB first
Old 02-12-2004, 09:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

Plus sizing wheels/tires can and do improve handling. Even going from the oem 15s/205-65-15 to some 16s with 215-55 or 225-50-16s will noticably help performance.
More or less than a RSB?? Not really a fair question as the wheels/tires will help overall handling but won't change the handling characteristics. The RSB will help the car understeer ALOT less. Which helps overall handling but in a different way. For $120-ish, it's one of the best bang/buck mods out there. I've heard similar from SFCs too. Also not too expensive at $150-ish. Both are alot less then a decent set of 16s and tires. Even used.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:02 AM

Cool man, good info. I have an ebay fstb and I could tell an immediate diff with that. Looking forward to trying out a RSB.. hopefully this summer I can work on the handling more. KYB's are in the mail...they should improve my handling a lot....since my fronts are blown:P
Old 02-12-2004, 01:41 PM

Ok. On a budget. I'd search for some used springs. ie.. ST or Eibach. Sprints and similar springs will kill your camber(ie.. tires) unless you spend $ on camber kits and get your rear suspension adjustable for camber.

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. I shouldn't have to buy a camber kit if I go with Eibachs springs, correct? The camber kit is only required for Sprint or Intrax springs??
Old 02-12-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

Can't guarantee it. I had the same setup on two cars. One car had a slight camber problem and the other didn't. I think it was a function of how well some of your stock suspension parts are. The Eibachs have the best chance at not requiring you to need camber correction because it lowers the car the least. After about 1.5" (est), it's almost guaranteed, you need some type of camber correction due to the suspension geometry.

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. I shouldn't have to buy a camber kit if I go with Eibachs springs, correct? The camber kit is only required for Sprint or Intrax springs??
Old 02-12-2004, 05:06 PM

Can some one please let me know exactly what parts I need to order to fix my CV's? I think I'm going to order the KYB's from interntautomart's site. And pick up the Intrax springs from discount tire direct. I can get the Intrax's for about $40 cheaper than the Eibachs, so I will have a lower drop (which I like) and have money left over for a camber kit.

Also, where is the best place to pick up these Cv parts, Autozone?? Internetautomart????????
Old 02-12-2004, 08:02 PM

??????????????

Quick Reply: VTC's or suspension????