3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New Owner....some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 06:48 PM

New Owner....some questions

I just bought a 91 SE with 193,000 miles. Bought it from the original owner who was an older lady(teacher). The car was dealer maintained and she provided the receipts to prove it. The engine is so clean its amazing. Never any leaks under the hood.

My questions:

When the car is cold and starting out, the shift from 1st to 2nd is very firm and quick. The rest are smooth. After it is warmed up the shift from 1st to 2nd is very smooth as are all the rest. Is it supposed to shift harder when its cold? Other than that the trans is perfect. Full throttle there is no slipping or hesitating into the next gear at redline like some others that I've driven.

Does the transmission have a screen/filter?

What kind of oil do you guys recommend? Nissan filter?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:09 PM
mod or sell?

IIRC there is a trans temp sensor that is causing that type of shift and it is intentional.
Firm,quick shifts are a good thing and considerably extend the life of your transmission.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:14 PM

So the smoother shifts once warmed up is normal???
Old 02-16-2004, 07:18 PM

Mine actually does the opposite...it's slow from 1st to second before it warms up, then it's smooth like all the rest...Oh well...drive it till the wheels fall off!!!
Old 02-17-2004, 09:00 PM

So......quick firm cold shifts and smooth slower hot shifts are normal? I'm just freaking myself out, I think, about this. I just bought the car and already have visions of the tranny goin out. Full throttle downshifts are quick. Should I have the transmission fluid changed? I've heard people say it sometimes kills it.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:05 AM

Your tranny is fine...the harder shift is caused by the tranny temperature sensor's old age,... NISSAN says you can replace that sensor and your shifting when cold will be back to smooth and normal. My GXE had the same problem.

but yeah generally the maxima auto trannies are known to go bad a little too often. but your problem isnt a sign of that though.

Originally Posted by 91WBSE
I just bought a 91 SE with 193,000 miles. Bought it from the original owner who was an older lady(teacher). The car was dealer maintained and she provided the receipts to prove it. The engine is so clean its amazing. Never any leaks under the hood.

My questions:

When the car is cold and starting out, the shift from 1st to 2nd is very firm and quick. The rest are smooth. After it is warmed up the shift from 1st to 2nd is very smooth as are all the rest. Is it supposed to shift harder when its cold? Other than that the trans is perfect. Full throttle there is no slipping or hesitating into the next gear at redline like some others that I've driven.

Does the transmission have a screen/filter?

What kind of oil do you guys recommend? Nissan filter?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:06 AM

Whatever you do, DO NOT change the tranny fluid. I had a '89 GXE that made it to 240,000 without ever changing it. But now the tranny in my '93 SE is junk because I changed the fluid last spring.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:10 AM

Not so sure if thats the best advice... Problems in changing tranny fluid at such an advanced age usually come from years of neglect.

I would reccomend examining the tranny fluid and deciding from there. I think there is a fairly easy test of taking a large piece of hand paper from you kitchen, taking out your dipstcik and placing a drop of your tranny fluid and beside it a drop of fresh liquid. After an hour compare their colour and spreadability.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:01 AM

compare their spreadability and.................
Old 02-18-2004, 09:18 AM

Shifting Problems

What RPMs Are you Shifting at, if you say the previous owner was an older lady, she probly shifted low RPM, and cause the transmission to get use to the shift change, If you just keep driving the car and working the tranny to where you want the RPM's at During the shift change, you can probly eliminated the problem, other than that i wouldn't recommend anything other than checking fluid and make sure its not too thick, and is manual transmission fluid. I usually **** around 4-5 grand, and everything runs smooth. But i also have a venom modulator, which cause the Rpms to boost up faster

My Maxima
Old 02-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Maxima Withdrawl is real

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=227996
it shows you oils and stuff. lok in the lub section
Old 02-18-2004, 08:46 PM

Thanks all.....just makin sure....I just thought the trans was supposed to be more like the 2nd gen maximas ive been in shifting firm and quick. BTW there isn't any filters/screen on these trannys?.....
Old 02-18-2004, 08:59 PM

also, find out if she kept it in the comfort or power position. the comfort shifts at lower rpms, causing the gears to move up rapidly -slower accel, and the power mode causes later shifts at higher rpm's. im not sure which mode causes the lowest life span of the tranny, but its good to know

im glad that the harsh shifting when cold thru 1st to 2nd is a good thing, i was thinking it was bad. i just wish it would down-shift like it should at a stop sign
Old 02-18-2004, 11:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when was the last time the fluid was changed? (reciept?) does it smell burn't? I would just flush it anyway and change the filter, Just pick one up from Napa or the dealer, whichever is more convienent.

As for the tranny fluid.... just make sure it's the right kind. I had a friend put the wrong kind in (probably type F) and we were had just gotten off the highway and the tranny was slipping really badly and we had to do minor neutal drops to get it to go anywhere. finally got home and I figured he probably used the wrong kind, sure enough he did. A new filter and new fluid and bam, tranny was just like new.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:37 PM

napa filter? isnt the tranny filter a metallic screen?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:58 PM

Its very normal for your car to shift quicker when its cold. Changing the fluid is not necessarily a bad thing if you say the car has been dealer maintained all of its life. Don't worry, it doesn't sound like your tranny is going anytime soon!
Old 02-19-2004, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Seyath
Its very normal for your car to shift quicker when its cold. Changing the fluid is not necessarily a bad thing if you say the car has been dealer maintained all of its life. Don't worry, it doesn't sound like your tranny is going anytime soon!
Ya I guess I'm not used to driving automatics. I still can't get over how quiet this 91 SE's powertrain is tho. Driving around all day I can barely hear the engine. Even with 193k miles. What brand and weight of oil should I use? The previous owner always took it into the dealer for oil changes.