3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG30DE turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah, the earlier TT injectors should work just fine but with those you'll definitely need to get jwt or e-manage because i don't believe the s-afc will be able to adjust enough for that size of injector.

oh yeah, another way of tuning that i forgot about is a maf hack. all you have to do is increase the inside diameter of the tube that the maf is in a certain amount and it will control the larger injectors as if they were stock. a guy did this on his 240sx. he turboed the ka and made the inside diameter of the tube the maf sensor was in a bit larger and his car actually had better results doing that than using the jwt ecu with the stock sensor!
Old 02-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by reygarcia
well, seeing as how evilvamp just pm'd me and said that he has the VE, BML94GXE and myself are no longer part of the equation. we both have VG's.

i see what you are saying Jay.
hey did you ever get those measurements for the box?

actually I forgot to and have since given the box to a freind but there all over ebay for about $45
Old 02-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Maxima Withdrawl is real

Originally Posted by reygarcia
well, seeing as how evilvamp just pm'd me and said that he has the VE, BML94GXE and myself are no longer part of the equation. we both have VG's.

i see what you are saying Jay.
hey did you ever get those measurements for the box?

Yup

reygarcia, we should have seen if we could get a .org discount set up. you think they would go for it?
Old 02-24-2004, 12:28 PM
STFU n00b!

There's a BIG difference in using 15 year old used parts and buying stuff new.
now do I have a problem with used stuff? no.

If a shop is going to build a "kit", will they be willing to build it with used parts? probably not. it's too hard to make sure everyone buys identical stuff.

Sure, I've got all the parts I need to do it, and I paid way under $1000 for it all, BUT they're all used parts. who knows how long the Z31 turbo will last before the seals blow and it starts spewing smoke everywhere (right, Jeffy? :LOL: )

Now you're talking about injectors.. you're looking at $100 for USED injectors (again, questionable quality), then another $600 for an ecu to control them.
go the FMU/adjustable FPR route, and you're out about $150, but have limited capability on the power.

wastegate? The deltagate is questionable on quality. TiAL or go with an internal one. I've heard too many stories about the Deltagates going south on you.

$50 for what kind/size intercooler? I want pics, not descriptions.. what did you have to chop out of the car to make it fit?

you can't use manifolds from a Z31 on a VE either. VG guys are lucky on that one.

eclipse BOV? ouch. no thanks. again, questionable used parts. buy a new one. I've seen so many of those things that have been crimped to keep from leaking at higher than factory boost, then they tend to fail within a couple years after that. for low boost stuff, an un-smashed one will work, but I'd still recommend buying something else.

To buy QUALITY parts, you're looking at a lot higher than your numbers.

I'm not knocking you or your ingenuity, but I've already been there, and so have others on this board. I've got a pile of parts that are literally worthless that blew up shortly after I installed them.. Jeff does too.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:54 PM

yeah, that's pretty much a list for the vg guys. i'm not sure what can be used for the ve since i don' have one to mess with.

i think you'd have to run some pretty high boost to ruin the eclipse bov. at least a lot higher pressure than most maxima's will be running at. i'm not a fan of turbonetics and have heard of the deltagates having problems but the only problem i've heard of them having is carbon buildup making the valve stick. just simply take it apart and clean it up a bit. hopefully this one will last a while before doing that though because it was actually brand new and never used when i bought it.

i do agree with you on used versus new parts though. getting all of the used stuff will basically get you started though. now that i have everything squared away i'll be buying a better turbo soon that i can just bolt right on and go.

the intercooler is just a small one out of a skyline but should cool off the air enough for the lower boost i'm running at. i don't have it mounted yet but i have a few places that i think i can make it fit without cutting anything up. i'll try getting it installed and get some more info soon.

but, like i said, that list of mine is just basically to get you started. it will help you get it all set up quicker, easier, and if you are on a budget so you can learn everything you need on your way to building something more powerful and such. if you have the funds though, by all means buy all new parts so you don't have to worry about upgrading down the road.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by BML94GXE
Yup

reygarcia, we should have seen if we could get a .org discount set up. you think they would go for it?

you wouldnt get more than 3 people (again not to be an *** but its hard enought to get people to pay out $30 for something, your talking thousands), and when I spoke to Brian a month ago he said all they would be doing is making the pipes for the turbo, its not worth it for them to make any intercooler pipes or any flanges since everyone is going to use different, parts.

Matt, they will install used parts.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Loved by MrGone longtime

i'm with jay on this one. and brian told me the same thing.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

first gen Eclipse BOVs are solid well into 21psi...some I've seen uncrused hold that much. I think hes talking about the second gen ones, the plastic BOsch crappers...but who wants one of them anyways... they are leak prone in the low teens, if that I've heard

as for the Deltagates the probs I've witnessed aren't so much the carbon builup, but is ridiculous boost leakage because of the lack of a seal ring in the inlet flange....even when the plunger is all the way down there is still a very noticable gap where the plunger should be totally sealing off the inlet hole...Tial WGs have this ring which you place in the inlet, thus when the plunger is down, its in contact with the seal ring, thus no leaks

but I agree, if you are going into a shop to have something done for you(which most likely means you can't do it yourself), than you are best off using new parts, thus when they install them, there are no excuses or "well these are used, we don't honor that stuff if it breaks" but if you're DIY....used parts all day baby!!!

Originally Posted by mtcookson
i think you'd have to run some pretty high boost to ruin the eclipse bov. at least a lot higher pressure than most maxima's will be running at. i'm not a fan of turbonetics and have heard of the deltagates having problems but the only problem i've heard of them having is carbon buildup making the valve stick. just simply take it apart and clean it up a bit. hopefully this one will last a while before doing that though because it was actually brand new and never used when i bought it.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Im izz sexay

Question. What is wrong with just dropping in an engine from a turbo 300zx? Unless the mounts are mismatched what will be wrong with that?
Old 02-24-2004, 06:26 PM

nothing at all. that's what i did technically. i used the jdm vg30et out of the gloria which has the same intake manifold as the maxima. the block has all of the holes you need to mount the maxima motor mounts. only thing the turbo is right where the motor mount is so you have to make a custom motor mount or relocate the turbo. i think you can also turn the turbo upside down but you still have limited room and you'll have to get a thinner fan shroud. i have a mini writeup thing on my cardomain site. it has the main things that i had to do to get my engine in. http://members.cardomain.com/mtcookson
Old 02-24-2004, 06:27 PM

you hit the nail on the head the front mount is in the way

you have to flip the turbo and remove a fan or relocate the turbo
Old 02-24-2004, 06:28 PM

wups to late
Old 02-24-2004, 07:01 PM
mod or sell?

or get a slimline fan