3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

A cheap way to fix the dimming clock

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 09:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A cheap way to fix the dimming clock

I don't know if this was brought up before, but I simply pressed the clock display hard with my finger the other day and the dimming went away. May not work with every one, it's worth a try though.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:23 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

it will come back. The dimming is because of the caps either being bad or just having a cold solder joint. Yours was probably a cold solder joint and when you pushed on it it made the connection better. as soon as it starts to vibrate it will move and you will have dimming again.

Its not hard or expensive to fix. Pull it out and re solder. If that doesnt fix it then get a couple of caps (a couple of dollars at the most).
Old 03-03-2004, 09:45 AM

You're right about reoccurance. I just did that to see what happens and it worked, even for just a short period of time. I don't really need that clock because my cd player features one. Just giving a temporary solution. Worst case scenario with the dimmed clock is trying to figure out what time it is, and get into an accident due to lost focus.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

gotcha...I thought you were talking about a permanent fix.

I used to have to thump or push on mine all the time in the GXE until I finally took it out and fixed it.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Ford Only.

I usually give mine a tap.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:19 PM

light tap works every time!
Old 03-03-2004, 02:35 PM
STFU n00b!

resoldering the connections works permanently...
Old 03-03-2004, 02:43 PM

can you give me a pic of the actual connections, im not sure what to solder, and 4dsc.com doesnt have good enough pictures, what exactly is a connection and how many do i solder?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by DMad8724
can you give me a pic of the actual connections, im not sure what to solder, and 4dsc.com doesnt have good enough pictures, what exactly is a connection and how many do i solder?

sorry I dont mean to be harsh but if you have to ask those questions its best to send it to Matt and let him do it or take it to a local electronics shop (or tech school...they will probably do it for free).
Old 03-03-2004, 04:13 PM

well i dont feel like spending $30 damn dollars on the clock, i had my old neighbor solder it up today, he split some connections apart that my friend had actually soldered together, when i tested it, it worked right when i turned the car on, about half hour later i went to test it again, it wasnt on, so i flicked it once and it popped on brighter than ever, is there a certain connection/capacitor that could be making it not come on right away?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:15 PM

Yeah, in both my old GXE I had and now my SE, I both just put a little bit of pressure and it undims(that a word?) and then ends up going back to being dim like you guys said. I really don't mind beause I don't like a lot of light in my car at night so as dim as any lights can get works out pretty good for me
Old 03-03-2004, 04:18 PM
STFU n00b!

As Mike said, if you don't know how to fix it then you're best off paying someone that knows how.

a new clock from Nissan is about $220. $35 to fix the clock is small potatoes compared to having Nissan replace it for you.

If you 'dont feel like spending $30 damn dollars on the clock,' then by all means, keep thumping on it until it quits working completely.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:22 PM

dont get mad at me because im not gonna give you $30 for something that probably takes you like 2 minutes, but in my last post i did ask a question, i didnt just vent about the price
Old 03-03-2004, 04:40 PM
STFU n00b!

I'm not getting mad at you at all. You're griping about a price for a legitimate charge..

take it to an electronics shop and you'll be lucky if they let you out with less than a $75 charge- IF they'll fix it.

it takes well over 2 min to fix, too. closer to an hour. would you like to pay an electronics shop for an hour of labor, or pay $30 for me to do it?

As to your question, if you followed Craig's (or mine) writeup, then you should have fixed it. it spells out very clearly what parts are needed to fix it and where they are located on the board. If you can't figure it out from that, then I suggest sending the clock to someone who can fix it. it's as simple as that.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I'm not getting mad at you at all. You're griping about a price for a legitimate charge..

take it to an electronics shop and you'll be lucky if they let you out with less than a $75 charge- IF they'll fix it.

it takes well over 2 min to fix, too. closer to an hour. would you like to pay an electronics shop for an hour of labor, or pay $30 for me to do it?

As to your question, if you followed Craig's (or mine) writeup, then you should have fixed it. it spells out very clearly what parts are needed to fix it and where they are located on the board. If you can't figure it out from that, then I suggest sending the clock to someone who can fix it. it's as simple as that.
dam skippy!
Old 03-03-2004, 04:55 PM

sure you're not mad, just giving me an attitude you i've never seen you give anyone else...im gonna try the capacitors tomorrow, anyone know how much these cost?

matt93se - WANNDIE?!
Old 03-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

sure you're not mad, just giving me an attitude you i've never seen you give anyone else...im gonna try the capacitors tomorrow, anyone know how much these cost?

matt93se - WANNDIE?!

HAHA I had to chime back in here because you said you havent seen Matt give any one else an attitude like he gave you. By that statement you can tell you are new. Matt is mellow now...I think he is getting old or something LOL.

caps are cheap...couple dollars.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:41 PM

hum just a tap? really I dont know how many trime i've had to punch the stupid thing to come back on.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:39 PM

I agree with what Matt and awsm66 have said. Basically from the questions you're asking, it sounds like you dont have much soldering experience at all and you'd probably be better off leaving the clock alone. You could have it fixed for $30 or whatever or accidentally burn the PCB, the traces, blow out a component or whatever and then need to buy a new one (or get a junkyard one and hope it works).
For someone who is good at soldering, it is only a minute or two of work, but it takes lots of practice to get to that point.
just my opinion
VE POWER
Old 03-03-2004, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
HAHA I had to chime back in here because you said you havent seen Matt give any one else an attitude like he gave you. By that statement you can tell you are new. Matt is mellow now...I think he is getting old or something LOL.

caps are cheap...couple dollars.

Matt gives everyone attitude. I think its his way of saying welcome.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:01 PM
STFU n00b!

matt93se - WANNDIE?!

Attitude? nah.. I'm being nice. you want to see attitude?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=284913
Old 03-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

just come out and say it...
"I AM CHEAP"

don't beat around the bush and make up these excuses and lame remarks.

you're cheap and you don't want to pay someone to fix it. my recommendation is to just leave it. it doesn't hurt performance and it's not something that's crucial for the car. get a 5 dollar watch/clock and tape it on the dash instead. that's an ez fix for u.

if you're brave then go for the solder job yourself...if you crossed any lines or solder it wrong then your clock will die forever.

yup i'm giving u an attitude...it's my way of welcoming everyone to the org.
deal with it.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
yup i'm giving u an attitude...it's my way of welcoming everyone to the org.
deal with it.
you never welcomed me then

hehehe

Matt's called me a goober before, yaaay

Seriously, it is not a 2 minute job, Matt resolders every connection on the back of the clock, well worth the $35 considering the time and quality.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Loved by MrGone longtime

what kind of pics do you want? everything that you need is on that page. i don't get it. the caps cost about $1 maybe a little more. but like everyone else is saying, fix it yourself for a couple of bucks, pay Matt to fix it, or get raped by the dealer to fix it.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:29 AM

well, i dont see why everyones "welcoming me" when ive been here a while already...also, yeah im cheap for a 16 year old highschool student with no income...and if any of you read my earlier posts you'd realize i already fixed my clock
Old 03-04-2004, 06:04 AM
STFU n00b!

Hmm, really? last time you posted something valid, you were asking about capacitors and saying if you thumped on it, it would still get brighter..

sounds fixed to me.

FYI, the reason you're getting crap now is because you're talking trash to the veteran members here.. look at our post counts compared to yours. Reycargia has the lowest post count of any other responses in this thread, and it's still higher than your post count, not to mention he's been here for a year, not 4 months.

we're giving you crap because you said dumb stuff and then tried to cover it up with attitude and more dumb statements. (which you didn't need to mention you're a 16 yr old kid... we could already tell).
It's also pretty easy to fix that no income part... jobs are out there. mow lawns, work at McDooDoos, deliver pizza, who cares- just get a job.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:10 AM
mod or sell?

matt93se - WANNDIE?!
what's up with that?
Matt is actually a pretty reasonable guy just don't say "Clock spring" around him
Old 03-04-2004, 07:26 AM

Well, sorry to rain on your parade, but my clock works now, no need to even tap it. Before you said, "look at our post counts compared to yours." OH MY GOD! YOU HAVE MORE POSTS THAN ME!! I could really care less about how many posts you have...and since I only have 300 or so I must be slightly retarded right? I'm sorry but post count doesnt equal ***** size...and also, I'm sorry it took you an hour to fix your clock, it took me about 2 and 1/2 minutes...*sigh*poor old people.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Old 03-04-2004, 08:55 AM

*snip*
*sigh*poor old people.
HAHAHHA

You might wanna get behind onea these now ->
Old 03-04-2004, 09:03 AM
STFU n00b!

Well, sorry to rain on your parade, but my clock works now, no need to even tap it. Before you said, "look at our post counts compared to yours." OH MY GOD! YOU HAVE MORE POSTS THAN ME!! I could really care less about how many posts you have...and since I only have 300 or so I must be slightly retarded right? I'm sorry but post count doesnt equal ***** size...and also, I'm sorry it took you an hour to fix your clock, it took me about 2 and 1/2 minutes...*sigh*poor old people.

I think it would stand to reason that this post doesn't count then?

well, i dont see why everyones "welcoming me" when ive been here a while already...

Been here "a while already" ?? Just because you've been here three months doesn't mean you're not a noob or know what your talking about. here are 10 other members- ALL of which have been here much longer than you and have posted much more useful information, and you're sitting here arguing with them.
Amazing how ******* redarded high schoolers are now.. Oh.. I forgot.. I knew everything when I was 16 too.
I've been working on Maximas for almost five YEARS now (years, not months.. get it straight), and I'm still learning things every day. I can rebuild the entire suspension blindfolded (I've done it on a bet), but I don't pretend to know more than someone else when I come in here asking questions and get an answer I don't like.

I would also think its reasonable to assume that someone with EIGHT THOUSAND posts and has been around before maxima.org was even formed just might have a few intelligent comments. (By the way, you might find it entertaining if mention I'm an electrical engineer and design stuff like those clocks for a living?) You'd think I just might know what I'm talking about.......
Old 03-04-2004, 09:05 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by internetautomar
what's up with that?
Matt is actually a pretty reasonable guy just don't say "Clock spring" around him

don't make me hurt you! (what's funny is I almost banned you for that thread just because you pi$$ed me off!)

oh.. did you get any more info on those calipers??
I think I'm gonna need a couple more sets of the loaded 30mm soon...
Old 03-04-2004, 09:35 AM

Actually, post count is the only thing that counts.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Ford Only.

Let me chime in.

Matt is only a d!ck to stupid people. He has been around A LONG TIME, he was around on the 4DSC board back in 98 when I joined them and who knows how long before I came on and just like me, he is probably sick of seeing the board cluttered with the same dumb 2-3 word subject titles that waste time and space.

One thing is, respect him, he is STILL a moderator...if you start trash talking any moderator chances are you WILL get banned.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:00 AM
STFU n00b!

LOL Actually I'm not a moderator anymore, Don.. I stepped down because I was tired of babysitting.. but pi$$ me off and I can still do some damage.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 94M@X

Man I must be really bored, cause this crap is halarious.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

well i dont feel like spending $30 damn dollars on the clock, i had my old neighbor solder it up today, he split some connections apart that my friend had actually soldered together, when i tested it, it worked right when i turned the car on, about half hour later i went to test it again, it wasnt on, so i flicked it once and it popped on brighter than ever, is there a certain connection/capacitor that could be making it not come on right away?
Oh yeah YOU already fixed it...sounds like your neighbor did.

No wait its not fixed...

So which is it...you say if we read your post you say "YOU" already fixed it. I just read it again and it looks like its still messed up and you are going to try the caps today.

Did I miss a post?

and what the heck does ***** size have to do with this thread?

AHHH I remember being 16.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:42 PM

lol, i didnt think it worked because it didnt pop on right away the second time, but being the next day its worked all the time
also, i dont ever remember saying i know more than anyone on here? can someone find that for me
also, the only reason you started goin off on my is because im not gonna send you money? you'd think you made enough in suspension parts

awsm66 - "and what the heck does ***** size have to do with this thread?"
according to matt, post count and this thread have to do with EVERYTHING, if you have one more post then me, you must have 1 more IQ point than me
Old 03-04-2004, 02:39 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

this thread is so pointless please lock it.....but b4 u do that .... matt when did this happen ? your not a mod anymore ? man i leave for one day !!
Old 03-04-2004, 02:50 PM

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/454290/4

Quick Reply: A cheap way to fix the dimming clock