3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Suspension???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 03:42 PM

Suspension???

WHats the recommendation??? Im lookin at the Tokico HP series with a set of Intrax or Sprint springs... I wish they made a good adjustable coilover, but no... I guess Koni makes an internal adjustable, but what good is that if ya gotta take your strut off to adjust it/./.... I thought I saw regular Koni's at some point, in a nice Red/Orange color, but cant find em now... What should I get? Thanks!
-Ben
Old 03-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It really depends on where you live (snow, potholes, etc.) and the look you want. The intrax springs have the lowest drop of them all, which looks really good. I'm not sure how the handling is with these. The sprints are not quite as low, but still give a nice dropped look. They are pretty cheap too. As for shocks, that all depends on your wallet size. The konis handle extreme drops much better than the tokicos, as the toks have been known to wear out with the larger drops. There is plenty of info floating around the forums, just browse some of the older threads.

Personally, I have the eibach springs and tokico shocks, and the handling is great. Although they dont have very much drop, it's plenty for me as around here the roads arent the greatest, and I can barely fit my jack under the engine crossmember now.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:44 PM
mod or sell?

I sell all that good stuff. and a whole lot more.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:47 PM

Right on

Good point with the drop/quality specs. Im not lookin to slam my car on the ground, and I deff like to get under my own car, so too low wont do. Im curious, how much do you have invested proformance wise minus the suspension??? Does she get up and go pretty good??? I gotta 92 SE 5sp too, 84k though. I wanna get her to fly! Thanks!
-Ben

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
It really depends on where you live (snow, potholes, etc.) and the look you want. The intrax springs have the lowest drop of them all, which looks really good. I'm not sure how the handling is with these. The sprints are not quite as low, but still give a nice dropped look. They are pretty cheap too. As for shocks, that all depends on your wallet size. The konis handle extreme drops much better than the tokicos, as the toks have been known to wear out with the larger drops. There is plenty of info floating around the forums, just browse some of the older threads.

Personally, I have the eibach springs and tokico shocks, and the handling is great. Although they dont have very much drop, it's plenty for me as around here the roads arent the greatest, and I can barely fit my jack under the engine crossmember now.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:21 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by MAXMYZD
Good point with the drop/quality specs. Im not lookin to slam my car on the ground, and I deff like to get under my own car, so too low wont do. Im curious, how much do you have invested proformance wise minus the suspension??? Does she get up and go pretty good??? I gotta 92 SE 5sp too, 84k though. I wanna get her to fly! Thanks!
-Ben

you never want to ask that to some people around here....
at last count, I was at about $18k BEFORE engine mods... and with only a couple power mods, I'm running mid 14s..
Old 03-05-2004, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
you never want to ask that to some people around here....
at last count, I was at about $18k BEFORE engine mods... and with only a couple power mods, I'm running mid 14s..
Thats a pretty high number..... what does your car pull on the skidpad? 2G's?
Old 03-05-2004, 08:19 AM

If I was to buy springs and dampers today, I'd get Eibach and Konis. Konis soooo worth it over Tokicos if you like the turns!

Old 03-05-2004, 10:16 AM

Yea!!!! Thanks much guys! Im prettly well decided on the Koni/Eibach set up! Now to find the place where its cheapest.....! E-Bay doesnt seem to have any Koni's on hand right now... Any suggestions?
-Ben
Old 03-05-2004, 10:45 AM
mod or sell?

try your friendly org part seller
Old 03-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Loved by MrGone longtime

get them from intarwebautoperson.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:24 AM

Welll,
Ive found them at SHOX.COM in a package deal for the Koni InterAdjust with the Eibach Springs for $659 or something like that w/shipping. Ill end up spending over $750 for the ones from the Parts place on here with my springs.... Unless they could offer better... hint hint!!!
-Ben
Old 03-05-2004, 11:42 AM
mod or sell?

yeah, I can do something. I just have to finish up my list o'****. how soon you gonna do this?
Old 03-05-2004, 12:10 PM

SWEETNESS!!!! Im lookin to get it up and goin asap! The $ is pretty much there. Let me know what you can do all shipped to 05871 VERMONT. Gimme a list of whats comin with the part #s, thanks a crap load! Hondas acorss New England will shudder in my corner capabilities thanks to fellow Nissan Maxima lovers! Grrrrrrrrrrrr NISMO POWER!
-Ben
Old 03-05-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by reygarcia
get them from intarwebautoperson.
You have no idea how surprised I was to see that I wasn't the one to make that post.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:55 PM
mod or sell?

I'm still hashing out pricing, I've got to call a place tomorrow and check my costs with them.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:10 PM

What would give you the most comfortable ride.....I dont want the bumps and rough ride.........even if it means i dont get to lower i want good ride quality
Old 03-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Ford Only.

Just to clear up some stuff I read.

Intrax are not the lowest spring, sprint is the lowest spring.

Intrax are progressive springs just like Eibachs. I dont think there is any solid proof that Eibachs handle better than Intrax, just speculation. I think Intrax would handle better, due to a slightly lower stance, Eibach is almost a stock stance.

Sprints are linear and the ride will be harsh, handling will not be as good either. They are too low IMO.

As mentioned, Konis are the best.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:41 PM

What would give you the most comfortable ride
Old 03-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by dkris42
Well my Intrax/KYB give me a nice comfy ride day to day, but it is a harsher ride than stock. I am on 40 series tires also. If you want a comfy ride, do not mod your suspension, leave it stock.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:09 AM

Cool cool, but im curious...

Right on man! No huge rush, let me know when ya figure it all out. I deff want the Koni's and the eibach's set up all the way! Any chance of getting a solid package deal with my whole handling setup...? i.e. struts, springs, sway kit, strut brace and maybe some drilled/slotted rotors and metallic pads???? Might be too much to think about right now, but Im deff gonna get all of it. Thanks again!!!!
-Ben

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I'm still hashing out pricing, I've got to call a place tomorrow and check my costs with them.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:15 AM

so stock is the most comfortable? nothing more comfortable then stock?
Old 03-07-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dmontzmax
Just to clear up some stuff I read.

Intrax are not the lowest spring, sprint is the lowest spring.

Intrax are progressive springs just like Eibachs. I dont think there is any solid proof that Eibachs handle better than Intrax, just speculation. I think Intrax would handle better, due to a slightly lower stance, Eibach is almost a stock stance.

Sprints are linear and the ride will be harsh, handling will not be as good either. They are too low IMO.

As mentioned, Konis are the best.
oops, I always thought the intrax were lowest.... correction noted!
Old 03-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Stock is going to be most comfortable for two reasons: One is that aftermarket springs are almost always stiffer because people want to improve the handling. The second is because there is less suspension travel with aftermarket springs, which is why lowering springs have to be stiffer. If it wasn't, it'd bottom out too easily.

If comfort is your main thing, I think you should leave everything exactly the way it came from the factory and just replace or rebuild whatever's worn on it (like struts).
Old 03-07-2004, 02:22 PM

Stock is best!

The only thing better than stock... Is brand new stock! Aftermarket is most always proformance based for betted handling, stiffer support is a tighter corner setup, the softer and more comfortable you go, the lest handling your gonna get! U end up with that teater, sway and roll action! No fun, but comfy..... The electronics in the GXE are probably nicer than our reg struts, but... Screw a GXE! SE alllll da WAY!!!!! 3.0 VE!

Old 03-08-2004, 08:28 AM

Aftermarket? H&R.

Old 03-08-2004, 09:05 AM
mod or sell?

dam, I can't match that one friggin' special got the best of me ....this time.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:15 PM

unhappy maxima

Awww...... man.... I was all stoked you were gonna save the day! My lil max is saddened by the truth youve bestowed upon her.... How can I look her in the facia now after having to get raped on the price of the sway with which she travels upon? Its story none but myself will have to endure.... Thanks for tryin though!!!!
-Ben

dam, I can't match that one friggin' special got the best of me ....this time.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:46 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MAXMYZD
Awww...... man.... I was all stoked you were gonna save the day! My lil max is saddened by the truth youve bestowed upon her.... How can I look her in the facia now after having to get raped on the price of the sway with which she travels upon? Its story none but myself will have to endure.... Thanks for tryin though!!!!
-Ben
well, I can usually meet or beat most pricing. but I got owned by a special this time. last time I did manage to beat it. and I'm sure I will be able to do so in the future as well.
I just have a really full plate at the moment so I'm not busting my vendors ***** as hard as I could.
I will resume doing so soon though.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:30 PM

hmmmmmm

Sooo, what your sayin, is if I wait, I might be able to get em at a better price through you later>???????? If not, its all good. Just le tme know! Thanks!
-Ben

well, I can usually meet or beat most pricing. but I got owned by a special this time. last time I did manage to beat it. and I'm sure I will be able to do so in the future as well.
I just have a really full plate at the moment so I'm not busting my vendors ***** as hard as I could.
I will resume doing so soon though.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:01 PM
mod or sell?

that would be accurate.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:33 PM

Sweet!

Well, we may still have business then! Let me know the minute you find you can do it for me! Thanks a ton!
-Ben

that would be accurate.