3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

KS still ****ing me off, why????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 05:11 PM

KS still ****ing me off, why????

I just got done saying that my problem was solved when I replaced my injector---not!!! My car still hesitates when warm and I have even tried to use the 470 resistor and the car runs perfect with it in. I have already replaced my knock sensor and harness and I am using the extra harness for the sensor that was recommended in a TSB. When I test the sensor it comes to like 550k ohms, so this is within specs. I guess this means my motor IS knocking or the sensor is hearing something. My car does ping, but like an exhaust ping that happens even after I turn it off. I tried to check my egr valve because I heard that if it is not functioning, the combustion chamber temps can be higher, but I am not sure how to test it in depth. It does have vacuum, but only when you first hit the throttle. It doesn't stay open constantly with the throttle. Why is it doing this, and what do I need to change if this is wrong? Also, any other ideas as to why the knock sensor would be going off? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

why not just run with the 470ohm resister and forget about the knock sensor

as long as you run 92/93 octane gas the chancees of detonaiton are very slim
Old 03-13-2004, 07:28 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by rosamax
I just got done saying that my problem was solved when I replaced my injector---not!!! My car still hesitates when warm and I have even tried to use the 470 resistor and the car runs perfect with it in. I have already replaced my knock sensor and harness and I am using the extra harness for the sensor that was recommended in a TSB. When I test the sensor it comes to like 550k ohms, so this is within specs. I guess this means my motor IS knocking or the sensor is hearing something. My car does ping, but like an exhaust ping that happens even after I turn it off. I tried to check my egr valve because I heard that if it is not functioning, the combustion chamber temps can be higher, but I am not sure how to test it in depth. It does have vacuum, but only when you first hit the throttle. It doesn't stay open constantly with the throttle. Why is it doing this, and what do I need to change if this is wrong? Also, any other ideas as to why the knock sensor would be going off? Thanks.
Cause our cars don't like this weather.
The EGR valve only comes into play at certain operating temperatures in order to dilute the incoming air charge with exhaust gas.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Way out West

I don't remember your other threads on this subject.

Is your car just hesititing when warm, or is it sluggish, too?

Have you checked your timing? Maybe your timing is retarded, causing this to happen.

If it is just your knock sensor, then your call will be sluggish (it will retard your timing to avoid detonation).
Old 03-13-2004, 10:16 PM

Alright, one at a time here:
First, I didn't realize that the slang word for "urinate" would be edited out of my post, making what I said look much worse. I don't cuss, but oh well.
Second, I do run 93 octane only in the max and have done the resistor in the past but my concern is that something is actually wrong and it is just doing it's job and it actually hears something harmful to the motor. The KS and harness have both been changed as well as spark plugs, fuel and air filter, O2 sensor, and all fuel injectors are within specs, as well as KS of course. The car does idle strangely and the exhaust or something is getting hot enough to ping until it cools down a few minutes after shut-off. After I changed the KS the car idled at about 1200 RPM's and I had to adjust my idle, which shouldn't be, so I think maybe when I took the manifold and EGR valve off and the electronic part, that it might have messed something up.
Second, I am under the impression that the EGR valve is supposed to move up and down only when the car is warm, and it does, but it does not stay up when you keep on the throttle, it immediately goes back down. I also noticed a **** or adjuster of some sort on the EGR electronic thingy that may need adjusting. I don't know.
Lastly, my car is only hesitating after it warms up and it is very noticeable, but runs perfect with the 470k resistor, and the KS was within specs when I checked it. And my timing? I don't appreciate you calling my timing names (like retarded) ---HAHA, but no, it has not been advanced or anything that I know of and I don't think it is retarded either because it runs PERFECT with the resistor in place, except it still idles funny.
I just don't like the fact that the car idles a little rough and sounds like a domestic car, and that even with a working, brand new KS and harness that it hears something that it shouldn't. BTW, my computer also is showing a KS code, which I think means that it is hearing something bad. I appreciate everyone's feedback and my ears are open to any suggestions of things to check or how to check my whole EGR system. I just want to get it running near perfect before I add a bunch of mods and I don't want to blow up the motor and have to start driving my Integra, which BTW runs perfect, unlike the MAX.