3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

security alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001 | 05:26 PM

does anyone know if we can add to our existing alarm system? i would really like to add a shck sensor or two. also how hard is it to install a different one on your own? i have done some wiring and i hooked up my system so could i do it easily? also how hard is it to hook up a remote car start? and last question...since i have keyless entry is it very hard to hook up a remote to my locks? thanks and sorry for all the questions.
Old 03-16-2001 | 07:03 PM

you can hook an aftermarket alarm into the stock existing alarm but i have never heard of adding additional modules to our stock alarms. The aftermarket will arm and disarm the stock alarm so in a sense you'll have two alarms in your car. Wiring is different from wiring up an audio system. Unless you are very patient and have a test light to test for the wires for the alarm, I wouldn't recommend doing it. You'll also have to add diodes to the door sensor to block out the courtesy lights on our car. And last thing, if you succeed in installing an alarm, it won't be too hard to add a remote start to the car. The only extra wires you will need to find is the cold start wire, brake light trigger and the tach wire (which is located at the ECU). That's about it. Hope that helped
Old 03-16-2001 | 07:22 PM

ya, you kinda helped......helped me realize i should get it proffesionally done:-) sounds a little too complicated for me, i think ill just spend the little xtra thanx tho
Old 03-17-2001 | 02:54 AM
Botnik

ACTUALLY

Putting in your own aftermarket alarm is pretty easy. It really doesn't take a genius to do it. Go check Chris Craig's website for the wire codes for our maximas. This will tell you which wires u need to tap into w/ your aftermarket alarm. I've never done wiring before and I was able to successfully install my own aftermarket alarm. It's always great to learn something new. Just make sure that once u cut a wire, test to see that it is indeed the wire u wish to tap into by trying to turn on whatever it's supposed to connect to. If it's the correct wire, great. If it's not, then reattach the wire. Just take a look at the wiring diagram that comes with the alarm. If you can understand it, then you would probably be able to do it yourself and save a little bit of money.