3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I did a little LED install write-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I did a little LED install write-up

I did this last friday but have been so busy I havent posted it. I did the write up for the buttons that surround the steering wheel.

It will be moved to Craigs site when he gets a chance but for now you can find it by clicking this link.

any comments good or bad are welcome. If I missed something or if you feel something is not accurate let me know.

I will be working on the other write-ups (I have listed at the top of the page) this weekend...not much to them except for the outer keyhole LED...thats a huge pain (taking the door handle off type of pain).

Hope someone is able to use it.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 03-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yaaaay!

heheh
I sent 3 back btw, did you get them yet?
Old 03-18-2004, 06:09 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

awesome write up, ive got to go do this now, its so much better than those stupid bulbs in there now, i want white not the green thats in there
Old 03-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by MrGone
yaaaay!

heheh
I sent 3 back btw, did you get them yet?
yep got them Sat (I think...the end of the week and first of this week was so crazy I cant remember). They are still sitting on my desk where my wife put them. I havent even opened the letter for fear of loosing one before I put them in.

Thanks...the red ones work out OK?
Old 03-18-2004, 06:14 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

what about the write up on Lights around the steering wheel. 2. Lights in the climate control. 3. Lights in the cigarette lighter (surround), ash tray, shifter indicator (automatic) and interior key surround. 4. The LED in the drivers door key surround. what about lights in the radio
Old 03-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by gowirelessnj
awesome write up, ive got to go do this now, its so much better than those stupid bulbs in there now, i want white not the green thats in there

right now they are just regular bulbs (no colored condoms on them I dont think...cant remember). The buttons themselves have the green tint. The blue LEDs are so bright that it over rides the green. I dont know if you put super bright white LEDs in if it will still show green or not. It will probably still show green and I dont think that the green can be scraped off of those buttons like it can be for the climate controls. I think Sawn said that they couldnt.

OH yeah and I forgot again shawn...dangit I am sorry. Shawn re-affirmed the fact that it would be easier to put the resistor in the wire for the illumination...I was leaning that way (thats why I keep forgetting to give him credit...doh) but he confirmed that it worked because he did it on someone elses car...believe me I am not the first to do this but I figured I would do the write up for those that may be interested.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

what about the write up on Lights around the steering wheel. 2. Lights in the climate control. 3. Lights in the cigarette lighter (surround), ash tray, shifter indicator (automatic) and interior key surround. 4. The LED in the drivers door key surround. what about lights in the radio

re-read my original post LOL...J/K man. I will be getting to those later. They are pretty easy though except the outer keyhole.

I didnt think about the radio. You will have to open the radio up to do those. Add a resistor in line with the LED.

The only problem is there will probably be some spotty lighting (because of the narrow LED light beam) in the radio and maybe the manual control unit too. I know there is in the ACC but I am working that out (almost have it but have to try one more thing before I am satisfied).
Old 03-18-2004, 06:28 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

that stinks i wish i could change it all to white
Old 03-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Loved by MrGone longtime

i bought the 74 leds and cut up the housing on em and used those. looks good for me except during the day. you can see where the blue doesn't light up too well, but night time is fine. i got me some more 3mm leds and i will try to do sometime next week myself.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:05 PM

I want white not the green thats in there.
copycat

Originally Posted by awsm66
Thanks...the red ones work out OK?
lol, no, thank you! hehehe. Yeah, I think the red is going to be awesome. I tired putting white LED's in my gauge cluster but it was even dimmer than the sharpie'd stock bulbs . I think I'm just going to wire a bunch of LED's directly behind the gauges, lol. I also have really been thinking about switching to blue, it was just easier because I had the white ones, but bloo is my favorite . It's funny because my mom was asking what I was doing and made a comment about how the climate control lights in her Subbie Outback have all burn't out, in a 'hint hint' kind of way .

right now they are just regular bulbs (no colored condoms on them I dont think...cant remember). The buttons themselves have the green tint. The blue LEDs are so bright that it over rides the green. I dont know if you put super bright white LEDs in if it will still show green or not. It will probably still show green and I dont think that the green can be scraped off of those buttons like it can be for the climate controls. I think Shawn said that they couldnt.
Dont try to scrape the dash buttons, they aren't like the climate control (where the little logo design thingy is on the 'outside' and the green part is on the 'inside' if you will... on those buttons the design thingy is on the inside along with the green, so unless your super careful, you will mess up the design thing. (ie foglight logo thing, or rear window defroster, etc.). I'll have to test a white LED in those buttons and see if is green or white. It will probably be a faint green. Red's dont have a problem shining threw the green though, it looks red

OH yeah and I forgot again shawn...dangit I am sorry. Shawn re-affirmed the fact that it would be easier to put the resistor in the wire for the illumination...I was leaning that way (thats why I keep forgetting to give him credit...doh) but he confirmed that it worked because he did it on someone elses car...believe me I am not the first to do this but I figured I would do the write up for those that may be interested.
Ohhhh man I was soooo excited when I first thought of that. Trying to fit a resistor in the buttons was going to be a royal PITA. w00t! hehehe.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:33 PM

wow... that seems like a perfect write-up good job,
Old 03-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

hey do yall notice in all the pictures where I am holding something with my left hand how the middle finger is straight out like here and here .

Its not that I am secretly flipping you off but I cant bend that finger...I mean I can bend it with the help of my other fingers or hand but I cant bend it on its own. I ripped a tendon a couple of years ago and never got it fixed. It took me a little while to re learn how to type with that hand and it gets in the way a lot when I am doing stuff (gets burned by the soldering iron sometimes LOL)...

Just a little tidbit of info there LOL.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:58 PM

no its not, its because god is punishing you because god is a mopar man, wanna know how I know?

"And God drove Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden in his Fury"

atleast you dont mean to, Jeff on the other hand.....
http://s92599732.onlinehome.us/image...s/P1010053.JPG
Then I didn't even realize he did it in this picture until I got home and saw the picture, lol.
http://s92599732.onlinehome.us/image...s/P1010054.JPG
Old 03-19-2004, 05:15 AM
Im izz sexay

I know that some of you guys are good at doing these LED installs. I just want to know that if I can get an instrument panel (Center Console) from a parts car would you be able to do them for me I buy the LED's and everything else needed. How much do you guys think you'll charge? I really want a red interior.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:12 AM

hey do yall notice in all the pictures where I am holding something with my left hand how the middle finger is straight out like here and here
Its not that I am secretly flipping you off but I cant bend that finger...I mean I can bend it with the help of my other fingers or hand but I cant bend it on its own. I ripped a tendon a couple of years ago and never got it fixed. It took me a little while to re learn how to type with that hand and it gets in the way a lot when I am doing stuff (gets burned by the soldering iron sometimes LOL)...

Just a little tidbit of info there LOL.
hehe, I noticed that but only because you'd told me before when I was helping with ACC

must be kinda annoying

there goes your piano-playing career

I should have the writeup on my site within the next few days
Old 03-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by turdlett
I know that some of you guys are good at doing these LED installs. I just want to know that if I can get an instrument panel (Center Console) from a parts car would you be able to do them for me I buy the LED's and everything else needed. How much do you guys think you'll charge? I really want a red interior.

sure I would be willing to do it. I dont know what a fair price is since you have to take so many of them apart...maybe $25 or so plus shipping back depending on what all you want done.

Email me and we can talke details and prices.

email is in the sig of my first post.

You dont think you can do it from this write up? Is there a part I need to clarify a little more or you just dont want to fool with it? You would still have to solder the resistor in the wires (or crimp connect if you want). If you hooked up the LED buttons without doing the resistors it will blow the LED right away.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

because god is a mopar man

Oh man you are going to he!! for that one.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:16 AM

Hey awsm66, Do you know a good place to buy the LEDS(that beats $4 for one blue at radio shack...)?

Also, something I've wondered for a long time, but don't exactly know what to look up, but how do you tell how much resistance you need? Measure the output voltage, and try and use a resistor to get it close to what the LED needs?
Old 03-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by doomtoo
Hey awsm66, Do you know a good place to buy the LEDS(that beats $4 for one blue at radio shack...)?

Also, something I've wondered for a long time, but don't exactly know what to look up, but how do you tell how much resistance you need? Measure the output voltage, and try and use a resistor to get it close to what the LED needs?

www.superbrightleds.com is where I got my stuff. Fast shipping and good products. They also have the plug in (no resistor needed) inverse LEDs for the gauge cluster and also type 74 bulb for the key ring, cig. lighter surround and ash tray.

Resistors drop voltage. 12Volts will kill an LED so you need a resistor. 470 ohm is generally the one used for 12V operation...for most...it can very by the current required by the LED.

read this page to help explain about voltages for LEDs.

I found this stuff using Google so if you want to learn more just do a search.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Im izz sexay

sure I would be willing to do it. I dont know what a fair price is since you have to take so many of them apart...maybe $25 or so plus shipping back depending on what all you want done.

Email me and we can talke details and prices.

email is in the sig of my first post.

You dont think you can do it from this write up? Is there a part I need to clarify a little more or you just dont want to fool with it? You would still have to solder the resistor in the wires (or crimp connect if you want). If you hooked up the LED buttons without doing the resistors it will blow the LED right away.
I really don't have the soldering experience but I'm going to try to do this one. It not the write up. I'm probably just freakin lazy. But I'll probably try doin this mod once the insurance adjuster looks at my car from the accident. If I figure that I can't do this then I'll pm you about this.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Loved by MrGone longtime

The dash trim is easy.

I have found the the MCC is going to give me problems. I don't want to cut up the stock wiring. I will just have to modify mine.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Im izz sexay

forgot to mention what brightness and degree angle would you recommend?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:34 PM

Oh man you are going to he!! for that one.
you forgot a smilie like or or or or something hehe *runs to corner*

I never knew there was a light for the key hole
Old 03-19-2004, 01:43 PM

you forgot a smilie like or or or or something hehe *runs to corner*

I never knew there was a light for the key hole
GXEs dont have it since they have the keypad and stuff
on SE's lift up on the door handle and that light will light up (it lights up with the dome light) so you can see where to put the key
Old 03-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
GXEs dont have it since they have the keypad and stuff
on SE's lift up on the door handle and that light will light up (it lights up with the dome light) so you can see where to put the key

My 92GXE has it.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Im izz sexay

I must have an SE without a spoiler then b/c I have the keypad, fogs, keyhole light, and silver trim. WTF!!
Old 03-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

you forgot a smilie like or or or something hehe *runs to corner*

Old 03-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

forgot to mention what brightness and degree angle would you recommend?

well I only had one choice on that website I listed for 3mm blue LEDs. They are plenty bright so I would go by the rating on that. for angle I guess get as wide as possible.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Im izz sexay

I saw on superbrightleds.com some 5000mcd and 45 degrees LEDs. I'm am going to order some tomorrow. How much should I get. does 25 sound good at about 45 cents per LED? About $15.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:15 PM

Ah see Craig, I always figured doing that would make the car think I was trying to break in or something and set off the alarm, lol. My old 93 was almost impossiable to get in. I would have to unlock it from the passanger side so the alarm wouldnt go off. (sometimes you could from the drivers, but it was sporatic).

Thats not a bad price, the thing that sucks with LED's is shipping, because normally its expensive compared to the price of the LED's. You could also try ebay, they have some good deals, IMHO they aren't the best LED's (I found that some of them are inconsistant with each other so test them before you put them in the car). I used to know a guy who Imported them directly from Japan in bulk and would get awesome prices (would be even cheaper if shipping didn't cost so much), however he has moved on to bigger and better things
Old 03-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I saw on superbrightleds.com some 5000mcd and 45 degrees LEDs. I'm am going to order some tomorrow. How much should I get. does 25 sound good at about 45 cents per LED? About $15.
25 is an aweful lot. What all are you planning on doing?

if you did everything in red then...

7 for the panel with buttons (including on lights), 2 for the manual climate control (for the illumination lights...it takes rectangle LEDs for the on LEDs and sliders) and 1 for the outer keyhole (Dont know if you will want to try that one)...so thats only 10 right there. You could probably make a regular LED work on the sliders and "on" lights of each button but you would need 3mm also and you would need to take the MCC apart and de-solder the old LEDs and solder in the new ones.

for the interior key hole, lighter surround, and ash tray, I would get their type 74 LED so its just plug and play (no cutting and soldering in resistors). For the shifter indicator and instrument cluster I would get their type 194 inverted LEDs (5 total...4 for instrument cluster 1 for shift indicator)...or for a brighter look but maybe some cold spots their multi LED 194 bulbs.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:46 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

I must have an SE without a spoiler then b/c I have the keypad, fogs, keyhole light, and silver trim. WTF!!
souds like you have a gxe, NO maxima se came stock with the keypad and the trim on the se cars were black not silver. the side mirrors are also black.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:47 PM

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 08:06 PM

Can someone help me out, and tell me if I am missing anything... and help me out with the sizes too?...

Quant. - Where - Size

(4x) - Gauge Cluster - 194
(1x) - Drivers Side Door -
(7x) - Switches Around Steering Wheel -
( x) - Climate Controls Manual -
(2x) - Map Lights -
(1x) - Dome Lights - 31x10
(4x) - Door Lights - 194
(1x) - Glove Compartment -

Anything else?... I think I am going to order some from Superbrightleds.com

Thanks for reading...
Old 03-19-2004, 08:42 PM

13 for the climate control.
1 for each slider (2 total)
7 for the indicator LEDs for each button
2 for the backlighting
2 for the side vent selector thingy.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin
Can someone help me out, and tell me if I am missing anything... and help me out with the sizes too?...

Quant. - Where - Size

(4x) - Gauge Cluster - 194
(1x) - Drivers Side Door -
(7x) - Switches Around Steering Wheel -
( x) - Climate Controls Manual -
(2x) - Map Lights -
(1x) - Dome Lights - 31x10
(4x) - Door Lights - 194
(1x) - Glove Compartment -

Anything else?... I think I am going to order some from Superbrightleds.com

Thanks for reading...

(4x) - Gauge Cluster - 194----------------correct

(1x) - Drivers Side Door - -----------------3mm LED...WARNING...You will havr to take the door handle off for this.

(7x) - Switches Around Steering Wheel - --correct only if doing "on" lights too...otherwise just 4 3mm LED

( x) - Climate Controls Manual ------------ 2 illumination (3mm) and however many button "on" lights plus sliders...WARNING...you will have to open the unit up and desolder the old LEDs for the "on" lights. These lights are rectangle lights but I think a 3mm LED will probably work. I am not going to do a write up on the MCC because i dont want to take my gxe apart and i cant find my old one from my parts car.

(2x) - Map Lights ------------------------dont know...not listed in the 90 owners manual I am looking at right now...they list them and show them but dont show a part number.

(1x) - Dome Lights - 31x10---------------dont know...same reason as map lights.

(4x) - Door Lights - 194------------------actually 158 but same thing.

(1x) - Glove Compartment ---------------not listed in owners manual.

what you didnt list

(1x) - interior key ring--------------74

(1x) - cig lighter ring---------------74

(1x) - shift indicator (auto)---------74
Old 03-21-2004, 05:58 AM
Im izz sexay

souds like you have a gxe, NO maxima se came stock with the keypad and the trim on the se cars were black not silver. the side mirrors are also black.
I know of that. But it's no use to argue since both the SE and GXE of 1990 are virtually the same.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:50 PM

Nice write-up. I'll do this mod soon.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:53 PM

stil going to do the digital climate control write up?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Hemphire
stil going to do the digital climate control write up?

I am doing some tweaking on it now in order to make the light spread evenly. I pretty much have it like I want it but I have way too much going on to worry about it right now. I will eventually get to it...at least by the end of summer.

Quick Reply: I did a little LED install write-up