3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

1989 Maxima SE 5-Speed ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 09:31 AM

1989 Maxima SE 5-Speed ?'s

Hello, I just got this car rather cheap, & I've heard good things about them, so I'm going to do what I can do fix it up nicely. It has 170k mile's on it, but the engine looks like it's been taken very good care of, and for the age of the car... That's not very many miles. Anywho, on to my questions..

I found a website the other day with the HP listed for the different versions of the 3rd generation Maximas, now I cannot seem to find it. So I'm ultimately looking for that as well.

I'm hoping I have a DOHC engine in this car. The engine says V6 3000. Do I have a DOHC or a SOHC?

I'm getting a exhaust put on it, I'm going for Magnaflow. Should I upgrade the Y-Pipe before if I'm just interested in the look/sound of the exhaust currently?

It's a black Maxima.. with some dings, and the wing is comming off. I was looking at it though, I actually wouldn't mind taking the wing off completely. I noticed the break light on it, is that the ONLY break light on that car.. Or would the normal breaklights function just as well with the wires snipped to the wing breaklight. I would have to plaster the holes that screw in correct? Then I would have to get some touchup paint. Anyone know off hand what the best plaster is to use? What colorcode should I get for the paint(Again offhand) Its the Black model Maxima with the grey interior.

It looks like the foglights for this Maxima have fallen out. I beleive I see the holes for them, but no lights(This car was a towing impound, possible they were bumped out, stolen, etc) Do the 89 SE 5Spd's usually have the foglights? Could I replace the foglights with fog's from any 3rd generation's foglights if this is the case?

I need to replace the master cylinder. I don't know much about cars, but I am willing to buy the part & do my own labor if I have instructions to do so. Anyone have those?

Again sorry for asking all of the questions.. But I'm very excited with this, & I'm trying to learn as much I can about cars, & using the Maxima to fuel that learning process. Thank you!

Regards,
zerphyte

-EDIT-
Also, I took off the battery terminals and replaced them. But on the positive wire, it had this box thing on one wire(I'm assuming it powers my seatbelts and what not) Would it be okay to strip the wire past that, remove the box, and bond both the 12v wires together and put them into the new terminal? Right now I have the solderless screw in kirmpers cut down to size on both wires, and I have them screwed in on the terminals screw inserts, and I have the terminal upside down on the battery. This works good, however.. I don't like the way it looks. Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by zerphyte
Hello, I just got this car rather cheap, & I've heard good things about them, so I'm going to do what I can do fix it up nicely. It has 170k mile's on it, but the engine looks like it's been taken very good care of, and for the age of the car... That's not very many miles. Anywho, on to my questions..

I found a website the other day with the HP listed for the different versions of the 3rd generation Maximas, now I cannot seem to find it. So I'm ultimately looking for that as well.

I'm hoping I have a DOHC engine in this car. The engine says V6 3000. Do I have a DOHC or a SOHC?

I'm getting a exhaust put on it, I'm going for Magnaflow. Should I upgrade the Y-Pipe before if I'm just interested in the look/sound of the exhaust currently?

It's a black Maxima.. with some dings, and the wing is comming off. I was looking at it though, I actually wouldn't mind taking the wing off completely. I noticed the break light on it, is that the ONLY break light on that car.. Or would the normal breaklights function just as well with the wires snipped to the wing breaklight. I would have to plaster the holes that screw in correct? Then I would have to get some touchup paint. Anyone know off hand what the best plaster is to use? What colorcode should I get for the paint(Again offhand) Its the Black model Maxima with the grey interior.

It looks like the foglights for this Maxima have fallen out. I beleive I see the holes for them, but no lights(This car was a towing impound, possible they were bumped out, stolen, etc) Do the 89 SE 5Spd's usually have the foglights? Could I replace the foglights with fog's from any 3rd generation's foglights if this is the case?

I need to replace the master cylinder. I don't know much about cars, but I am willing to buy the part & do my own labor if I have instructions to do so. Anyone have those?

Again sorry for asking all of the questions.. But I'm very excited with this, & I'm trying to learn as much I can about cars, & using the Maxima to fuel that learning process. Thank you!

Regards,
zerphyte
HI, and welcome to the 3rd Gen forum, the absolute best Max you can own! First off, you have the SOHC and 160 hp. The spoiler, mine was also coming off and bought one on ebay for $100. shipped and is made of fiberglass rather than the squishy nerf material. The spoiler really makes the a$$ end of the car, just don't get one of those ridiculous huge whale tail wings that will ultimately make your car look retarded. As far as the other questions, I'll leave those for someone else as I don't know much about y-pipes. Good luck with your Max and enjoy it, you'll grow to be fatally attracted to it like the rest of us psychos!!
Good luck!
Jeff
Old 03-20-2004, 12:26 PM

Anyone else?
Old 03-20-2004, 02:46 PM
No turbo, no care!

1. Yes you have a SOHC 160HP/180 TQ

2. No you dont need a Y-pipe if you just want looks/sound. It WILL give you better sound though, and a lot more power than a muffler. Get the Y pipe, screw looks.

3. The other brake lights will function normaly if you cut the wing light, just make sure you tape them up well so they dont short out later. Bondo is what you want to use to fill in the holes, a light bondo should work fine. This is avilable at more auto stores. I have no idea on the paint, take it to a body shop and let them color match it. Chances are your 15 year old paint job has fades from the factory color......

4. Yes 89 5-speeds normaly have fog lights. Im almost sure any year/model foglights will work.

5. Get a factory service manual, it will help you fix anything and everything.

6. Yes you can cut the wires and crimp them to the new terminal.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:03 PM

I really wish I had at least 180HP in this car. Although I am getting it for $400.00. Should I scap it and try to get a 92-94 so I can have the 20HP gain? If I can get at least 180HP in the Maxima I guess that'd be okay, however I was looking to have 180 stock, and increase it to at least 200... :\ Thanks for the replys though!
Old 03-20-2004, 08:10 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

i have the VE 190hp (stock)(its higher now) 5speed, its a blast to drive but be forewarned they are very hard to find !!!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:18 PM

You have a good sounding car, especially for 400 bucks. If this is your first car, I think it would do well, or if you are on a budget, or a student, I think it's a great car-so I wouldn't scrap it, especially if it runs good. The 92 5 speed is better performing, but rare and costs more to buy. If that's what you really want, then go chase that car now. The dilemma is that your 89, if you don't have any records, is going to need some maintance and thus money investment. The car has a belt driven cam shaft, and needs the timing belt changed every 60K miles. If it breaks, it causes severe engine damage. This change costs several hundred bucks in labor at a dealer, but if you are doing it yourself, you can save money obviously. Any 170K car could need clutch, control arm bushings, window regulators, etc. by this point, all of which add to your labor and money investment. If you take off the spoiler, you need to buy a GXE third tail light, for inside the rear window-or a generic parts store third light-if it is equal.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Banned

The 92-94 SE is all i can find up here in MA....had a meet yesterday with 35 cars, and only VEs showed up....

Havent seen any GXE's or older SE's since i scrapped my 89...

VE is the way, unless you are completely modding a VG, then that might be worth while...

Brian
Old 03-26-2004, 06:48 PM

vg is a really good place to start. It's a killer killer bullet proof motor. Shure it's 30 horses shy of the ve. But it responds well to mods and you can crank some good power out of them. I got my vg to run 16.4 with just a few mods. Buy shave the spoiler and paint the whole car including the plastic between you tail lights and it will look so much better. It's a good car man. If you want a good intake go to warpspeed peformance.com They have y pipes wich are really good gains, cat backs, intakes, and high flow cat's. Get all that and some intrax lowering springs and you will be in good shape man.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:08 PM

Thats it my man. The VG will grow on you. take your time and learn everything you need to know about it. Buy a manual and change your brake booster then take off from there. I've had my maxima since 1990, and no one will ever take her away. Take care of the mechanical stuff first, get her running to a charm, then slap on your upgades. Take care of her and the VG will do the rest....peace.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:34 AM

I just recently totalled my 89 SE 5-speed as many of you may know. They are very reliable motors. Mine was to me atleast. I had 208K on it and it still ran like a champ. I bet I could go out right now, put a battery in it and start it right up after sitting in my driveway for 2 months. But anyways, I'm trying to part it out if you need anything. Not much for body parts. Its got blue interior w/ blue leather. So if there is anything you might need. let me know. I have a good working brake master cylinder if you are interested. And also have a WSP Y-pipe (aluminized, mandrel bent, used for about 4months) I'd sell for $150+shipping. Hell I even have a 94 VE auto I'd sell you Good luck w/ the max, you're sure to love it
Old 03-27-2004, 09:10 AM

why do i need to buy a gxe 3rd taillight? the spoiler isnt my only break light is it?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by zerphyte
why do i need to buy a gxe 3rd taillight? the spoiler isnt my only break light is it?
you don't need to, but local inspection guidelines may require you to have one.
all autoparts store have third brake lights that you can splice into the existing wires for the factory 3rd brake light. They are a led strip so check it out and good luck. As for the spoiler, don't waste time trying to glue or plaster it down. It will come back up. Have a bodyshop cut it out and find one on ebay.
take care of her and the VG will do the rest.....peace!