3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Re-Building a VE for performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 06:19 PM

Re-Building a VE for performance

I'm just thinking long term here, but does anybody know of some things that I could do to my VE30DE to increase the performance if I was to tear it down and rebuild it in the future? I am looking for any input you guys have. What would be some things I could do to make a bulletproof, high-performance N/A or high performance forced induction VE? Also, where would be a good place to research these ideas? Here is what I can think of so far:
-Bore the motor .20 over
-different cams (do they make them)
-balance and blueprint
There is also a few other things at the bottom of this page:
http://home.fuse.net/vedevelopment/go_fast.htm
Seems like good info, but what is the most HP that I can expect from doing some of these things?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

punch that ***** out from 3.43" to 3.76" and pwn all the VQ35's

first you have to decide if your going to go NA or boost.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:23 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

mine was torn down and rebuilt however i left the pistons and bore the same. the heads were milled, ported and polished - the intake was ported and polished along with the throttlebody. CAI is on its way no thanks to littlepiggie (im getting the ebay one) udp, newvtc's warpspeed y-pipe, imseriously looking into a turbo setup now that its rebuilt but before i do that im getting the fidanza/excedy setup, and new leather (mines so bad ! also the rest of the exhaust will be replaced soon for more flow. im thinking of justtaking my time with the turbo setup and instead of trying to do it all at once just buy one piece at a time and after i have all the peices then ill have a qualified shop put it together along with all the ecu recalibrations. but even without the turbo this thing really hauls butt...i mean groceries...LOL
Old 03-31-2004, 07:28 PM
Ford Only.

hehe...I have a FULL spare motor in my garage that just arrived last night. I will be tearing it apart, everything from exhaust manifolds to throttle body. It will be interesting to see where this thread goes...I KNOW I WANT boost though.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:35 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

go for it ! nuthin feels better than a fast VE , LOL except maybe a my butt wrapped in fine italian leather (lambo) lol j/k
Old 03-31-2004, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by dmontzmax
hehe...I have a FULL spare motor in my garage
copycat

hehehe jking

I have some 10.5 pistons coming, but I wasn't going to say anything, lol. So much for that.

Honestly I think we can gain alot from porting the exhaust manifolds, if you look at the flange part closely you'll see they are really restrictive, or atleast IMHO they are.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:17 PM

I have a spare SOHC engine in ma garage i am re-building with ma friend. I am gonna try to you keep up with VE guys. Everything is getting ported and polished....I just order new JWT cams and new pistons! Heheheh I gotta save up for the ECU still.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:35 PM

How much can you gain by porting the exhaust manifolds? 10.5 pistons, what are the ones in the motor now and what is this going to do for it? Also, can we get better cams for our motor? If I am going to rebuild mine or build a spare, I would probably like to keep it N/A but maybe put nitrous on it later. Turbo is great and all, but I don't want to fabricate a bunch of stuff and I would rather go all-motor.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:36 PM
STFU n00b!

Umm don, tearing it apart means more than intake and exhaust manifolds. that's just the crust.....

until it looks like this:

Then it's not torn apart.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:42 PM

What the heck is that thing?
Old 03-31-2004, 09:47 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Umm don, tearing it apart means more than intake and exhaust manifolds. that's just the crust.....

until it looks like this:

Then it's not torn apart.
yup, I should have some pics just like that tommorrow...minus the Koni boxes.

How are things going with that engine?

MrGone: Isnt yours from an auto? mine is from 5 speed, so that is not copying...
Old 03-31-2004, 09:48 PM

So basically what I would do so far is:
-Rebuild VTC's
-Port and polish TB and intake
-Port the exhaust manifolds
-Different cams (still don't know if they exist)
-Basic bolt-ons, but everyone already does that
-What else?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:08 PM

lighten up the valve train and such, maybe even look into getting the gears made out of aluminum or something (probably wouldnt work too well though)

Matt, I gotta find my Radio Flyer VE picture I still want to build a VE Powered Go-Cart (would be scarey as hell)

Besides yours isnt 110% apart yet, I still see the lifters bish I still need to get a valve spring compressor, but they are kind of pricey

I just did a VG teardown/build last week, was going to install 8.5:1's but the ring lands were cracked

Eventually I'll send my spare block out to get chopped and line honed. woowoo
Old 03-31-2004, 10:13 PM
STFU n00b!

yup.. I'm going to let the machine shop do the valves.. at 100k miles, each of those valves is pretty much in the hole it wants to be in. I don't feel like tearing it down and using up a carton or ziplock baggies!
I'm going to take the head and block to a shop and have it magnafluxed and such before doing any work on it. for some of the stuff I saw while tearing it down, it could have a cracked head or invisible cracks int he water jackets from overheating... I'll see when I have $$ to get it to the shop.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:20 PM

hahahaah reminds me of when I tore apart the mustang's engine. I put all the lifters in a egg carton and rebuilt them in shop class (we had a sub and had to watch a video, so i brought along the lifters and a tub to soak them in after I put them back together). It sucks when the springs shoot out and you have to crawl around and find them.

I should probably buy a torque wrench
Old 03-31-2004, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by rosamax
I'm just thinking long term here, but does anybody know of some things that I could do to my VE30DE to increase the performance if I was to tear it down and rebuild it in the future? I am looking for any input you guys have. What would be some things I could do to make a bulletproof, high-performance N/A or high performance forced induction VE? Also, where would be a good place to research these ideas? Here is what I can think of so far:
-Bore the motor .20 over
-different cams (do they make them)
-balance and blueprint
There is also a few other things at the bottom of this page:
http://home.fuse.net/vedevelopment/go_fast.htm
Seems like good info, but what is the most HP that I can expect from doing some of these things?
build the car for boost, you wont regret it if its for the long run
Old 03-31-2004, 10:48 PM

How much would it cost to boost though, aside from the cost of just rebuilding the motor anyway? Would the motor be as reliable? How much horsepower are we talking and what do you run at the track? I can't say that I wouldn't go for boost ever, but wouldn't it just be easier and less expensive to boost a VG, or am I wrong? I really like the VE though, aside from VTC problems. I guess you would be the man to ask 4signs.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by rosamax
How much would it cost to boost though, aside from the cost of just rebuilding the motor anyway? Would the motor be as reliable? How much horsepower are we talking and what do you run at the track? I can't say that I wouldn't go for boost ever, but wouldn't it just be easier and less expensive to boost a VG, or am I wrong? I really like the VE though, aside from VTC problems. I guess you would be the man to ask 4signs.
The ve motor has been reliable for me. I have put over 30k on a motor since the turbo with no motor issues (knock on wood). The tranny is what you really have to pay attention to in terms of reliability. I don’t have any dyno numbers or time slips (13.4 @ 107mph on a g-tech) but im sure that the numbers are close to the 4th gens running boost, (similar turbo set up, similar engines) As far as the expense of boosting the ve It pretty much depends on how you source parts, and design the system. There are just too many variable when building a custom system. Im pretty sure that with enough research you can put a reliable kit together for 2-4k
Old 04-01-2004, 06:06 AM
STFU n00b!

I'm still eyeing that intercooler... me wants! wanna throw a guy a bone on where I can pick one like that up?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I'm still eyeing that intercooler... me wants! wanna throw a guy a bone on where I can pick one like that up?
Matt the IC is a custum unit my friend in hawaii welded the end tanks onto a Spearco Intercooler Core. I think he got the core from http://www.roadraceengineering.com/intercoolers.htm hope this help
Old 04-02-2004, 06:05 PM

If u r boosting and have a Auto what about this...

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...article&sid=16

I know it's pricey but I need it w/my stock tranny. A tranny cooler would help too if ya could find a place to put it.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:06 PM
STFU n00b!

Thanks for the info on the IC.. I was hoping it wasn't something like that. I have no problem doing the work- just don't want to pay those kinds of prices for something I KNOW is produced for much much less than that.

ahh well.. the price you gotta pay to play.