3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Speed sensor didn't fix speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 08:17 AM

Speed sensor didn't fix speedometer

Bought a new speed sensor from Courtesy and it didn't fix my speedo/odo. I checked the continuity of the harness, and there's none. So should I try to find where it's broken or would that be too tedious? Also, I guess the back of the gauges could have become unplugged, but the tachometer still works fine (different harness?).

Does anyone have a picture of the plastic gear that's inside the tranny? Mine looks okay, but I've never seen a new one and there might be a very small difference that could make a big difference.

I really need the help of the gurus.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you checked for continuity on the middle of the three harness to the gauge cluster and to the speed sensor harness?
you need to make sure there is continuity on both wires all the way from gauges to the sensor - solid green wire and green/orange wire. They are both right in the middle of that middle harness.

If you're not getting continuity, it might be easier to run new wires than to try to find the break since a lot of wires are usually bundled together and it's a real pain following one wire. Try temporarily running two new wires from the speed sensor harness to the gauge harness. I'd use some of those 3m quick splice connectors so you dont have to cut the existing wires (in case that's not your problem). I'd just run the new wires temporarily through the door jamb area and under the hood and not worry about actually routing them through grommets or anything. Just be sure they wont touch any moving parts. Then you should be able to test the speed sensor and gauges that way. Hopefully that'll work for you. If it does, then just re-route the wires somewhere a little less conspicous.

good luck
Old 04-03-2004, 10:14 AM

Awesome, thanks Craig! I wasn't sure if the harness from the speed sensor goes directly to the gauges or passes to the ECU first, but I think I can just go straight to the cluster first, right?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:09 PM

correct, the wires go straight from the sensor to the gauges but go through couple harnesses first - the one at the speed sensor, one just above the ECU (but does not go into ECU), one more behind the fuse box and then to the gauges.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:39 AM

sorry to change the subject. but all this wiring talk reminded me of a job i wanted to do on my sentra. i was wondering if you could help me out craig. ive done some of your lighting changes on my maxima and i wanted to do the same on me sentra. if you can find the time to give me an email, joshlaly69@yahoo.com, and i can explain what i would like to do and maybe you can give some advice. thanks

your help is always appreciated.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:05 AM

craigbrace@hotmail.com
Old 04-05-2004, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
correct, the wires go straight from the sensor to the gauges but go through couple harnesses first - the one at the speed sensor, one just above the ECU (but does not go into ECU), one more behind the fuse box and then to the gauges.
Well there was continuity at the cluster harness (green and green/orange wires), and so I wired directly from the sensor to the guages with the old and the new speed sensors. Still nothing. I'm wondering if the plastic gear was worn just enough, it wouldn't give a high enough voltage. So my problem could be the harness and the gear. When I bought the new speed sensor, the plastic part didn't come with it.

Several months ago, the problem started; the speedo needle would jump/bounce around until it finally stopped working altogether. At that time, I guess the wires and/or gear had slowly degenerated. The tach has always worked.

I'll take a picture of the gear when I get back my camera and then post it. Hopefully that'll help my problem.

Thanks for the help,
Peter