3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

5speed conversion? 92SE

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 12:11 PM

5speed conversion? 92SE

OK, where to find and how much is a good price for a complete 5 speed conversion setup for a 92SE VE motor? Trans, clutch, flywheel, pedels, ntake manifold/other engine parts, axles, etc.

Anyone?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you care about beefing it up or just making it a 5spd?

Jeff sold a 5spd conversion kit from his parts car, I am not sure for how much, but it included everything but the tranny (because thats on my car ).

You could get parts from www.car-part.com, but it would probably just be easier to spend a few hours in a yard and rip them off a 5spd max.

I believe Matt93SE has one VE Fidanza flywheel left. It's 1/2 the weight of the stock unit (about 9lbs or so). If you get a clutch from Nissan, make sure its not the Key Value. Personally I have the Exedy Stage 1 and I love it. I heard that the OE replacement Exedy's on ebay actually have a 15% over stock holding capacity. The stage 1 has 36% and is still an organic disc. Stage II has an 86% holding capacity over stock and is cerametallic.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:58 PM

parts car is your best friend

from experience i know im never doing this again unless its strictly a project car/toy.. ive had on & off problems ever since it was done on mine, now the whole tranny is dead
Old 04-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Ford Only.

It cant be done.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:09 PM

wow maximan what happened with your car. I was seriously considering a 5spd swap... what problems did you encounter?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by Jack.
wow maximan what happened with your car. I was seriously considering a 5spd swap... what problems did you encounter?
I can tell you that both of my Maximas were swapped. They are both just like factory 5 speeds, you couldnt tell any differences.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Damonb
OK, where to find and how much is a good price for a complete 5 speed conversion setup for a 92SE VE motor? Trans, clutch, flywheel, pedels, ntake manifold/other engine parts, axles, etc.

Anyone?
Ill do it for a very reasonable price if you get both your car and the parts car in my garage, but i guess your askin for parts not service.... but then again if your askin where to get the parts then you probably need the service too. but once again if you have a dakota pushin 900 hp im sure you can handle it on your own. Junk yards are a plus....or if you know anyone wanting to trade in their 5 speed maxima, see if they'll let you swap as a automatic books for more than a 5 speed, but not in my opinion
Old 04-14-2004, 03:08 AM

Here are some pointers:

-You do not need to bother swapping wiring harnesses, ECU, or intake manifold unless you want the Variable Intake. Personally I wouldn't bother with the VI. (hint. M1 vs. Kegger intake...... Get a VI but dont bother wiring it up, it will act more like a M1. The VI "open" which actually closes the flap, is just like a stock AT intake manifold which you can compare to the Kegger. One thing though, the VI working is like the turtle for the M1).

Make sure you do not use the Flex Plate bolts on the flywheel (the ones that hold the flywheel/flexplate to the engine). The Flywheel ones are longer.

I'll probably think of more later. I am not sure what you need to do axle wise.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by bobbydigital450
Ill do it for a very reasonable price if you get both your car and the parts car in my garage, but i guess your askin for parts not service.... but then again if your askin where to get the parts then you probably need the service too. but once again if you have a dakota pushin 900 hp im sure you can handle it on your own. Junk yards are a plus....or if you know anyone wanting to trade in their 5 speed maxima, see if they'll let you swap as a automatic books for more than a 5 speed, but not in my opinion

I am asking where to get the parts from you guys cause there are quite a few of you who have done it before, maybe you know of a better place than the obvious junkyard. I am not asking cause I can't do it or done know where to find parts at normal prices. I am a performance parts dealer and installer, trust me, service is not exactly something I need to pay someone else to do. I am looking at a 12 year old car with an engine/transmission combo that was only produced for 3 years, not exactly a widely available option if you know what I mean. Anyway, like I said, I know what is needed to do the swap, I just want to know what these swap setups are worth, and where YOUGUYS are getting them from? There is one guy who has a totaled max that will have to pay someone else to remove the parts and then wants to get like 800 bux for the trans. I think that is REALY not worth the hastle, I would rather just buy the car for an extra 200 bux but now I have to store 2 totaled maxima's next to my shop.

Anyway, I ask again, other than the obvious junkyard (thieves) anyone know where to get this stuf easier?
Old 04-14-2004, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
Here are some pointers:

-You do not need to bother swapping wiring harnesses, ECU, or intake manifold unless you want the Variable Intake. Personally I wouldn't bother with the VI. (hint. M1 vs. Kegger intake...... Get a VI but dont bother wiring it up, it will act more like a M1. The VI "open" which actually closes the flap, is just like a stock AT intake manifold which you can compare to the Kegger. One thing though, the VI working is like the turtle for the M1).

Make sure you do not use the Flex Plate bolts on the flywheel (the ones that hold the flywheel/flexplate to the engine). The Flywheel ones are longer.

I'll probably think of more later. I am not sure what you need to do axle wise.
See now, when you say the difference between the kegger and the M1, I see a HUGE difference... If I put a kegger on my truck, I would more than likely blow the thing up (literealy) damn belly pan would turn into a balloon from all the boost. Turtle, also a fun thing, I don't use one of those dinky little snake oil mini turtles, my turtle is about 3-4" high and 2-3" diameter on the bottom, definatly keeps air flowin the way it should with a blower.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Damonb
See now, when you say the difference between the kegger and the M1, I see a HUGE difference... If I put a kegger on my truck, I would more than likely blow the thing up (literealy) damn belly pan would turn into a balloon from all the boost. Turtle, also a fun thing, I don't use one of those dinky little snake oil mini turtles, my turtle is about 3-4" high and 2-3" diameter on the bottom, definatly keeps air flowin the way it should with a blower.
ok, well these differences aren't anywhere near extreme, lol. It's nothing like the pull you get from just adding a M1. I was just talking in terms of the power bands and stuff (but its kind of hard to compare, because the v8's actually produce torque, and as you probably already know the VE doesn't die like a stockish 318/360).

The nice thing about a parts car is that you dont have to worry about if you forgot to get a certian part or something. The other thing to do is to look for parts cars on here and just buy the parts from people.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm needing a caw

The VE30DE needs all the lowend help it can get. It's a characteristic of the 4 valve heads I guess. VQs seem to have great lowend. Anyhoo, If I could get the 5-sp VI manifold I would. Try to get the vacuum canister and the solenoid switch. From there, you will only need a rpm switch.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:13 AM

I'm about to start this project. I have a parts car, and I got a flywheel from Mat93SE. I bought an ACT clutch from JustinMC, and a short throw from custommaxima.com. Got new mounts and master and slave cylinders coming from Courtesey Nissan. I've start this in about a week and a half, and I planed to swap the intake manifold and ECU. The axles from the auto should work.

Ryan
Old 04-14-2004, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Maximan190
parts car is your best friend

from experience i know im never doing this again unless its strictly a project car/toy.. ive had on & off problems ever since it was done on mine, now the whole tranny is dead

Werd

I just dished out 2 grand for a tranny rebuild
Old 04-14-2004, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
The VE30DE needs all the lowend help it can get. It's a characteristic of the 4 valve heads I guess. VQs seem to have great lowend. Anyhoo, If I could get the 5-sp VI manifold I would. Try to get the vacuum canister and the solenoid switch. From there, you will only need a rpm switch.
If you were to hook it up to an RPM switch, you would want to kill it after 3500rpm or so, maybe 4500 (would use a dyno and see for sure).

Unlike the 4th gen MEVI, our VI is for low end, same with the VQ35DE. Also it is not so much RPM based as it is load based.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by KLoWnPR109
Werd

I just dished out 2 grand for a tranny rebuild
yeesh

plus im rebuilding the engine too, its always "when it rains it pours" with my car

in response to jack.. i had problems with the clutch (exedy st 1) it was too hard and it would never disengage/engage right... one day it would engage halfway off the floor next day it will do it like 1/8th way off the floor. Now the tranny itself is locked in 3rd gear, so if i try to take off in any other gear it stalls and when its in neutral its still in 3rd. ya, very so trans and engine (engine - thats another story..) are both getting rebuilt by june/july.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Maximan190
yeesh

plus im rebuilding the engine too, its always "when it rains it pours" with my car

in response to jack.. i had problems with the clutch (exedy st 1) it was too hard and it would never disengage/engage right... one day it would engage halfway off the floor next day it will do it like 1/8th way off the floor. Now the tranny itself is locked in 3rd gear, so if i try to take off in any other gear it stalls and when its in neutral its still in 3rd. ya, very so trans and engine (engine - thats another story..) are both getting rebuilt by june/july.
can you accually move the shifter around and it still be locked in 3rd

maybe you broke a shift fork

if you cant move the shifter out of 3rd then your tension spring for your shift interlock ***** is wornout
Old 04-14-2004, 08:28 PM

yea i can move it around, it goes into every gear (not smoothly though, but its always been like that)