3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Which y-pipe is better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 08:52 AM
maximarg

I got Cattman y-pipe installed and it sounds great & I can feel the power adds up.
My friend had a Warpspeed y-pipe installed and his is very,
very annoying & loud sound; as if his exhaust is cut off or a motor boat. He can also smell some metal burning.

Did you guys have same problem? or Which one is better from your experience?

Old 03-22-2001, 11:27 AM
ckcie

which one is better

Originally posted by maximarg
I got Cattman y-pipe installed and it sounds great & I can feel the power adds up.
very annoying & loud sound; as if his exhaust is cut off or a motor boat. He can also smell some metal burning.

I'm still waiting for my Cattman y-pipe to come in, but when it does and I install it I'll let you know. I have heard however that the Cattman is better quality. Nuf said...

Old 03-22-2001, 01:14 PM
Ford Only.

Warpspeed is way better.The sound is ruff like a V8 and it is safely away from the sway bar.And the o2 sensor is also in a nice spot.It was cheaper too.
Old 03-22-2001, 01:52 PM
maximarg

I tested both of them myself & Cattman y-pipe is way better
in all performance level than Warpspeed. Plus I love the bass sound of it.

Old 03-22-2001, 02:17 PM
ckcie

Agreed

Yeah I agree. I had heard that the Cattman y-pipe was initially running into some problems with it hitting the sway bar but Cattman's taken care of that problem with its redesign. However, I've never heard of Warpspeed truly being a better performer than the Cattman. Cheaper, maybe, but hey, you get what you pay for.

Old 03-22-2001, 04:24 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Ok, here's a really stupid question.... Does the Y-pipe replace the cat or does it go in front of it? I was wondering because recently, I had problems with my cat, and had the shop take it out and put a straight pipe in. Now, once I get my Y-pipe, will I need to get another cat, or does the Y-pipe eliminate it??
Old 03-22-2001, 04:52 PM
ckcie

y-pipe before cat

Originally posted by nubiannupe
Ok, here's a really stupid question.... Does the Y-pipe replace the cat or does it go in front of it? I was wondering because recently, I had problems with my cat, and had the shop take it out and put a straight pipe in. Now, once I get my Y-pipe, will I need to get another cat, or does the Y-pipe eliminate it??
The y-pipe doesn't replace the cat. It's meant to hook right up to your cat or what ever you have in the cat's place. So you should be good with the way you have things now. What you do need your cat for is to pass emissions.

Old 03-22-2001, 09:10 PM

WarpSpeed vs Cattman

As far as I know,Dallas and I are the only ones who have dyno tested and posted results of comparing the 2 pipes head to head. I saw the results first hand, I drove the car. If someone else has dyno results on a newer dyno please e-mail me. We would like to have a look. We had a 6.7 h/p peak over the Cattman pipe.See our web site.

Dan WSP
Old 03-23-2001, 10:16 AM
Ford Only.

In reply to you get what you pay for.Not the case here I have talked to people with Cattman's and they got rid of there Cattman for a Warpspeed.Warpspeed is better all around.First off it is about $100 dollars cheaper.Second it was dyno'd and came up with more horsepower.Third the flex is really nice.And the O2 sensor is in a perfect position.Fourth it really sits higher up in the front so if you lower your car it will not hit.It is actually about atleast 2 inches above the skid plate.Fifth the bends and welds are very pro nice smooth and clean.Sixth the customer service is the best at WSP.Dallas will take the time to talk to you and let you know what you need to.With Cattman I could'nt even get a hold of the guy.He never responded to my emails.Let me check them again.But I wrote him about a year ago.Man shall I go on I am sure I can think of some more......
Old 03-23-2001, 10:31 AM
ckcie

Hey Maximarg. I thought you were going to return your Cattman for a WSP y-pipe. What happened? I'm not criticizing just wondering.