3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone feel like posting the link to making the fan switch mod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 07:29 PM

Anyone feel like posting the link to making the fan switch mod?

I'm pretty sure i've seen someone post a thread on how to do it but I can't seem to find it. Anyone feel like posting the link? thanx guys.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:06 AM

c'mon guys, i know someone out there has the instructions.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:37 AM

What the hell is the fan switch mod? Sounds cool.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:20 AM

radiator fan?
Old 05-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if it is i'd like to know as well. i've never seen it on the forum before but i might have missed it.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
if it is i'd like to know as well. i've never seen it on the forum before but i might have missed it.
Basically it's a switch that enables you to turn on the fans whenever you want rather than wait for the car to reach overheating levels. I had the fan switch mod done on both of my camaro's being that they both had electric fans; but I could've sworn that someone or somewhere, there is a post or thread on how to accomplish this. Then again I could be mistaken.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:51 PM
mod or sell?

wire switch to relay.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
wire switch to relay.
well... that's one way to do it, but there's a simpler way.

The coolant sensor (2-wire sensor - not the temp gauge sender) sends a signal to the ecu to switch the fans on when the coolant temp gets too hot. Find the sensor, make a note of the wire colors and find the feed wire at the ecu (the other is an earth). Tap into the feed wire and hook it up to a switch. Earth the other side of the switch. You can activate the fans at any time with this mod.

However... it's better if you let the ecu do the job as you may be overcooling the engine (not good over an extended period of time). If you suspect the fans are not coming on soon enough & that your engine is overheating a little, change the coolant sensor. If you're concerned because the gauge shows the engine is overheating, the temp sender may be faulty - change it & see if that makes any difference.

Failing all that, wire in the switch as above
Old 05-16-2004, 05:02 AM
mod or sell?

You could also get a universal adjustable temperature controlled switch.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:27 AM

You could also get a universal adjustable temperature controlled switch.
Well, my car is not over heating at all; I just figued that i would have it done so that while I'm waiting to run my car at the track, I would just throw an ice pack on the intake manifold to ice the intake and then switch the fans on to cool the coolant a little.

Now internetautomar, you mentioned wiring a switch to the relay. Can you give me a little more specific info on which wiries to tap into?
Old 05-16-2004, 05:43 PM
mod or sell?

Well now that I'm back home, I can pull out my handy FSM.
There are 3 fan relays located in the relay box underhood in front of the battery they should be the 3 closest to the the battery and fender.
Now go probing with a test light and figure the rest out!

BTW. Shame on you for wanting a P.O.S. Cobra
Old 05-16-2004, 07:38 PM

Well now that I'm back home, I can pull out my handy FSM.
There are 3 fan relays located in the relay box underhood in front of the battery they should be the 3 closest to the the battery and fender.
Now go probing with a test light and figure the rest out!

BTW. Shame on you for wanting a P.O.S. Cobra
sounds a little too complicated; guess i'll just wait for one of the brainiac techs. to come out with a custom switch with instructions.
And as for the Cobra that I want; it's not just any Cobra; I want an 03-04 Cobra. My friend just bought one this past Nov. and with basic bolt-ons, he is putting down 502 RWHP. Again, this is with just BOLT-ONS! I'm a die hard chevy fan, but after seeing those numbers; no camaro of mine would see those numbers without a Heads,Cam and N20 setup. My friend Chris (his name is 4dscklr on this forum) only spent $3500 in mods. Now thats bang for the buck!
Old 05-16-2004, 07:48 PM

Those Cobras are badass. 390hp, but thats way conservitive. They put on a horribly restrictive exhaust system for insurance reasons. New exhaust can gain around 40hp IIRC. Throw in some larger injectors, a new pully, and Bam. 500hp.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
sounds a little too complicated; guess i'll just wait for one of the brainiac techs. to come out with a custom switch with instruction.
...or you could re-read my previous post & do a little work yourself - man didn't invent nothing by sitting on their hairy butt, fella!

Try disconnecting the coolant sensor & switching the ignition on - the fans might/should come on (as you're fooling the ecu into thinking the temp is too high - this works for GM cars).
Or, tap into the feed wire, hook it up to a switch in the engine bay, and earth the other side of the switch. Tape and/or zip-tie the switch outta the way and badabing! You can throw the ice on the manifold & switch the fans on at the same time.

Upstairs for thinking, downstairs for dancing and in the middle for (you figure it out...)
Old 05-17-2004, 10:48 AM

I did the radiator fan switch mod. My first stab at it, I blew a transistor in the ecu. I was able to fix that.

The problem was after I did the probing in the relay that I wanted to actuate, I didn't realize the relay was negatively triggered by the ecu (since I was testing with the engine off). I then figured out how do the switch but it took forever to fix the ecu, so I never finish the project.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:58 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by 4dscPat
Those Cobras are badass. 390hp, but thats way conservitive. They put on a horribly restrictive exhaust system for insurance reasons. New exhaust can gain around 40hp IIRC. Throw in some larger injectors, a new pully, and Bam. 500hp.
That's only cause it's running a blower.
Let's see them do that all motor.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by 4dscPat
It's actually not that simple; granted they have a supercharger from the factory: his current mods are 2.93 upper pulley, ported TB,Ported SC, catback,CAI, and not to mention; the most important mod of all: a good dyno tune to make evreything work.
The stock 39lb injectors are good for up to 600rwhp; so in other words, no need to buy injectors unless u have a KB (kenne bell SC). Wow, just imagine, 600+rwhp on pump gas. amazing......simply amazing.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:44 AM

As a matter of fact, the Mach 1's ( 03 Cobra motor w/o a SC) are dangerously close to LS1 times and HP, stock for stock. Six speed LS1's are trapping a tad higher then the Mach'1s but not by much.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:47 AM

lets see a supra all motor, a grand national all motor, and STI all motor, an EVO all motor, an srt-4 all motor, a typhoon all motor, a cyclone all motor, and whatever other cars there are factory power added.....
502 rwhp and 467 rwtq speaks for itself... power added or not....
rip off the piece of $hit eaton and put a kenne bell on... oops now i have 600+ rwhp... or how about X2c's single turbo stock block 03 cobra that just ran a 9.53 @ 150mph at palmdale last weekend (over 700rwhp @ 18psi) .....
the 03 cobra platform is by far setting the standard for horsepower potential and capabilities..... the best built FACTORY car since the toyota supra, at less than half the price.....
any questions??
oh wait...... but it needs a power adder ........... LOL
Old 05-18-2004, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by 4dscKlr
who cares? Without owning a maxima your just trolling this board.

I bet Brian could pull more out of a SBC or I could out of a SBM than you could out of a 283. I would go for over 500hp on my stang but I'm affraid my block will crack in half.

Now back to the topic on hand:
I had a diagram of how to make the switch in my chiltons manual, I just have to find it (its from back when I had my black max). I just found it 2 days ago cleaning out the garage, now if I could remember what box I put it in
Old 05-18-2004, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone

I bet Brian could pull more out of a SBC or I could out of a SBM than you could out of a 283. I would go for over 500hp on my stang but I'm affraid my block will crack in half.
you bet huh? until you have you need not reply....
you would go over 500 rwhp on your stang? you say it like its an easy task..... thats the difference between your POS 289 or 302 your running in their. you have inferior quality, and design...
since my original post wasnt directed towards you, but educating someone who doesnt know any better you should mind your own.
thank you, and drive through ....
Old 05-18-2004, 08:53 AM

Now back to the topic on hand:
I had a diagram of how to make the switch in my chiltons manual, I just have to find it (its from back when I had my black max). I just found it 2 days ago cleaning out the garage, now if I could remember what box I put it in

Yes..........please find that chiltons manual 'cause I would love to accomplish this task. I like having fan switches.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:48 AM

Just tap into the wires that run into the ECU and have a switch for the low fan and a switch for the high
Old 05-18-2004, 12:17 PM

you bet huh? until you have you need not reply....
If your still around in a few weeks, I'll email you . Now, where is your Dyno slip? Since they are a dime a dozen, please find 6 pennys, in chronological order and write "MrGone" on them, then snap a pic of the dyno sheet and the pennys together, maybe even lay them under the hood of your car to really get me. I just want to make sure your holding up your end (if I have to have 500+whp to talk, then you do too).
you would go over 500 rwhp on your stang? you say it like its an easy task.....
Seeing as there are plenty of 331/347 guys laying out well over 400whp NA carbed.... yeah, I dont have a problem saying it is pretty easy.
thats the difference between your POS 289 or 302 your running in their. you have inferior quality, and design...
If it's good enough for Nascar, it's good enough for my car? Dont worry though, I enjoy having room in my engine bay to work. Infact I believe the record for a pro-class was set by a turbo 289, ran a 7.xx (I saw it on TV )
since my original post wasnt directed towards you, but educating someone who doesnt know any better you should mind your own.
Since every post you've made in this thread is completely worthless and has absolutely nothing to do with this thread (and a search of your other posts show the exact same thing), maybe, just maybe you should go back to your mod motor forums. One thing is for sure, your heads are big, but your brain certainly isnt. oh snap! Besides it's a public forum, so your SOL.
thank you, and drive through ....
Dont mind if I do...... *MrGone pops a wheelie on his way out
lemme defend the Mopars now, defending Ford isnt worth my time (I hate Ford )
If you aren't going to post good information about maxima's then just please stop posting.

5 ltr. beater- I guess my sheet fell out, so I need to find the colors of the wires again. (btw, Eric93.... thanks for that tidbit ).
Old 05-18-2004, 02:44 PM

5 ltr. beater- I guess my sheet fell out, so I need to find the colors of the wires again. (btw, Eric93.... thanks for that tidbit ).

Yes, please find those wires; cause I want to tap into them and make a switch.
KLoWnPR109 has a good point about tapping into the ECU, but he forgot to mention what wires to tap into.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:48 PM

If your still around in a few weeks, I'll email you . Now, where is your Dyno slip? Since they are a dime a dozen, please find 6 pennys, in chronological order and write "MrGone" on them, then snap a pic of the dyno sheet and the pennys together, maybe even lay them under the hood of your car to really get me. I just want to make sure your holding up your end (if I have to have 500+whp to talk, then you do too).

Seeing as there are plenty of 331/347 guys laying out well over 400whp NA carbed.... yeah, I dont have a problem saying it is pretty easy.

If it's good enough for Nascar, it's good enough for my car? Dont worry though, I enjoy having room in my engine bay to work. Infact I believe the record for a pro-class was set by a turbo 289, ran a 7.xx (I saw it on TV )

Since every post you've made in this thread is completely worthless and has absolutely nothing to do with this thread (and a search of your other posts show the exact same thing), maybe, just maybe you should go back to your mod motor forums. One thing is for sure, your heads are big, but your brain certainly isnt. oh snap! Besides it's a public forum, so your SOL.

Dont mind if I do...... *MrGone pops a wheelie on his way out
lemme defend the Mopars now, defending Ford isnt worth my time (I hate Ford )
If you aren't going to post good information about maxima's then just please stop posting.

5 ltr. beater is my witness of 502 rwhp. im not going to lay 6 pennys on a dyno sheet so you can get your rocks off on something you will never own.
keep living your dreams through TV, what you want, and what you think your gonna have, cause till then your words are meaningless cause you have nothing.
as far as my threads in this post. i was only confirming for any naysayers how easy it is to make power in an 03 cobra, and his decision to want one is easily justified....
your right this is a public forum, and until you get something worth racing or something you *THINK* is going to pop a wheelie quit wasting my time. everyones gonna have a 600+ hp car when they grow up....
talk when you got it, and quit trying to live off the speed channel LOL ..
*sitting back as i await your witty reply*
Old 05-18-2004, 03:25 PM

5 ltr. beater:
http://s92599732.onlinehome.us/images/FSM/Foldout/1.JPG
http://s92599732.onlinehome.us/images/FSM/Foldout/2.JPG
http://s92599732.onlinehome.us/images/FSM/Foldout/3.JPG

5 ltr. beater is my witness of 502 rwhp. im not going to lay 6 pennys on a dyno sheet so you can get your rocks off on something you will never own.
I'm still waiting on my penny pic
keep living your dreams through TV, what you want, and what you think your gonna have, cause till then your words are meaningless cause you have nothing.
How do you know what I have and dont have? Very few people on this forum know anything about my mustang because I never talk about it here because this is a Maxima forum. The one's that do know have either 1. seen it in person, 2. talked with me on AIM/IRC/PM/etc, or 3. visit other forums I am on.
as far as my threads in this post. i was only confirming for any naysayers how easy it is to make power in an 03 cobra, and his decision to want one is easily justified....
Thats great, however your still just trolling this board. It would be different if you actually provided useful information pertaining to maximas, however that is not the case. Cobra's are not the be all end all of cheap performance.
your right this is a public forum, and until you get something worth racing or something you *THINK* is going to pop a wheelie quit wasting my time. everyones gonna have a 600+ hp car when they grow up....
It was a damn joke
talk when you got it, and quit trying to live off the speed channel LOL ..
I prefer the Discovery Channel
*sitting back as i await your witty reply*
Error 404: Wit not found.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:50 PM

LMAO!!! error 404!!

cobras may pull some good power but they have some overweights issues that need to be addressed. nearly 3700 pounds is a bit much.

and, for the topic of this thread, would it be safer to wire the switch on the sensor or on the relay?
Old 05-18-2004, 04:26 PM
mod or sell?

LMAO!!! error 404!!

cobras may pull some good power but they have some overweights issues that need to be addressed. nearly 3700 pounds is a bit much.

and, for the topic of this thread, would it be safer to wire the switch on the sensor or on the relay?
safest would actually be a dedicated diode suppressed (I think that's what it's called) relay on it's own circuit that goes straight to the motor.

BTW Wheelies are a function of excessive low end torque, something that isn't a problem on them POS Mod motors cause they are lacking in that department.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:46 PM

Wiring Diagram of the stock setup:
http://s92599732.onlinehome.us/image...tor%20fans.JPG
Old 05-18-2004, 10:42 PM

safest would actually be a dedicated diode suppressed (I think that's what it's called) relay on it's own circuit that goes straight to the motor.

BTW Wheelies are a function of excessive low end torque, something that isn't a problem on them POS Mod motors cause they are lacking in that department.
285 raw rwhp lifting the wheels LOL ....

simple 03 cobra lifing the wheels...
both daily driven, and both modular....
excess TQ isnt what lifts wheels.... traction and suspension is ....
Old 05-18-2004, 11:21 PM

Weight only matters when you are pitted against a car with your same rwhp; untill then, timeslips and dyno sheets are the main focus of the problem: and the problem is that 03 Cobra's are just too dam fast. I @^#$ing hate them!!!!!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:33 PM

Thank you for the diagram. Now what exactly am I tapping into? The cooling fan relay or the cooling fan motors?
Old 05-19-2004, 12:28 AM

You could atleast link the pictures if your going to go any more off topic.....
http://s92599732.onlinehome.us/image...mustangs/1.jpg
http://s92599732.onlinehome.us/image...mustangs/2.jpg

5 ltr. beater- One bit of advice with Fords:

Can we stop the damn Cobra stuff now?

I'm thinking if you ground #19 you will turn the radiator fans on. It's also 2am and I'm tired as hell, so you might want to have someone else confirm that. If I have time I'll rig up a switch to my car tommarrow.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:15 AM
mod or sell?

Swiped from the FSM!
Wish I had a scanner I woulda scanned it in too.
But there you can see what I mean about 3 relays
Old 05-19-2004, 06:48 AM

I'm thinking if you ground #19 you will turn the radiator fans on. It's also 2am and I'm tired as hell, so you might want to have someone else confirm that. If I have time I'll rig up a switch to my car tommarrow.
sounds good, lemme know when you get around to it. I'm really anxious to get started.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:14 AM
mod or sell?

simple 03 cobra lifing the wheels...
both daily driven, and both modular....
excess TQ isnt what lifts wheels.... traction and suspension is ....
2 things:
1. that isn't a stock cobra.
2. traction and suspension don't pull the wheels the torque does the other stuff just prevents it from being wasted on wheel spin.

Now drop this **** and go back to your 4.6 luxury car motor board.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:01 AM

could i just bypass the whole relay stuff and just wire a switch that provides voltage to the fans? that'd make wiring quick and easy i would think.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:31 AM
mod or sell?

yes but then you run a rather large risk of overheating the switch and causing a fire.
Personally I don't know the current draw of the motors so it may be advantageous to use multiple relays to limit the amount of current running thru any given relay.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:18 AM

ahh, i see. i'll mess around with it and see what i can figure out.

Quick Reply: Anyone feel like posting the link to making the fan switch mod?