3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

sr20det in maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sr20det in maxima

hey ive heard of sr20det's in sentras but what about a maxima a 94 , if not the sr20det then what a v series motor maybe ? a rb26dett ? what swaps are possible , im trying 2 make the ultimate sleeper car , thanx for the help guys
Old 05-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sry guys i hate 2 ask a question thes been asked already but for some reason it says i dont have permission to search thanks for ne help you could offer
Old 05-23-2004, 04:58 PM

Read the damn FAQ's!!!!!!! How many times do we have to go over this????
Old 05-23-2004, 05:14 PM
This is a democracy

to sum up what Seyath is trying to say.......no
Old 05-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you could do a vg30et but you can't do vg30de, vg30dett, any rb series engines, or basically anything that is bigger than the ve30de. the sr could fit but would take a lot of fabrication to get it in there. you could probably get the bluebird opr pulsar engine and get a 5 speed tranny from a sentra se-r that has the sr20de in it. from there, you would need to fabricate all of the mounts and do all of the wiring to make it all work.

it would be an interesting swap to do since the sr's can be very potent engines. they are easier to mod than the stock engines in the maxima but they wouldn't pull as much torque. it would still be fast as hell though
Old 05-23-2004, 08:45 PM

Forget the RB series engines - they're longer than the VG (inline 6 as opposed to V6) and all use rwd trannies - no fwd tranny will fit as the bolt patterns are completely different between the engine & the bell housing.

The SR20DET is gonna have the power but not the low down torque that you need for takeoff. Better to find a used Japanese Domestic Model SR24DE, bore it out to 2.5 liters, turbo it, get a 5spd tranny to suit (from JDM Pulsar GTiR), turbo hubs & driveshafts ('cause the maxima axles are not gonna fit the tranny and the other axles aren't gonna fit the max hubs...), fabricate engine mounts, tranny mount and wire in the computer to run said engine.
Ultimate sleeper, maybe... Ultimate money pit more likely!

Me, I'd rather get a VG33E & turbo it - although not sure how much stress the VG33 can take...
Old 05-23-2004, 11:20 PM

jdm sr24de?!? never heard of such a thing. are you talking about the usdm ka24de? its a strong engine that has tons of potential but the sr would still be better than that just due to how much aftermarket support it has.

for the axles you could just have some custom ones made that would fit whatever tranny you used along with the maxima hubs plus they would be stronger.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
jdm sr24de?!? never heard of such a thing. are you talking about the usdm ka24de? its a strong engine that has tons of potential but the sr would still be better than that just due to how much aftermarket support it has.

for the axles you could just have some custom ones made that would fit whatever tranny you used along with the maxima hubs plus they would be stronger.
SR24DE is a rare beast and hard to find but it does exist - used for competition purposes only. KA24DE used in other markets although predominantly US.
Not sure using lighter KA engine would give you any real advantage over a VG30ET setup though & much more work involved...
Old 05-24-2004, 03:56 AM
Im izz sexay

Just get a vg30et custom it out to a twin turbo or put int a hybrid t3/t4 turbo in there. All you need is a freaking turbo 84-89 300zx to do it. The only fabrication problem is one single engine mount. That's it.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:59 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

hmmmm, as for te SR24, I don't think it was a Nissan production motor...if so I never heard of that...are you sure its not just the stroker kit??

thats gotta be badass
Old 05-24-2004, 04:07 AM
Im izz sexay

Stroker kit!!! LOL
Old 05-24-2004, 06:32 AM
This is a democracy

ahhhh, hey mtcookson, how much hp/torque are you getting out of your Vg30et?
Old 05-24-2004, 06:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

IMHO. My VE already has about 200hp w/ no turbo. If want a turbo, I'll just turbo that.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:57 AM

i don't know the maximum numbers yet but i do know that terribly tuned it made 16x hp at 4100 rpm and 20x ft. lb. of torque at 4000 rpm on a mustang dyno. my intake pipe popped off during that run which didn't allow it to go any higher. on one of the test runs my friends and i are pretty sure we say the computer read over 200 whp though. i just recently bought a plx devices m-500 so i'll finally be able to tune the thing to get more power as it was definitely running too rich.

and i'm almost positive there was never a SR24DE in production. the only SR with a different displacement is the SR16VE. also, there might have been a 1.8 liter version but i'm not finding it yet.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Im izz sexay

MT is pushng soo much power that the intake isn't sucking anymore that thing is flying everywhere. 200whp at 4000rpm can't wait to see it around 6k rpm. Are you using the stock turbo. Good work. BTW MT do you think that 1700 for a rebuilt 300zx turbo engine is too much. I'm saving up for it.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:08 AM

yup, using the stock turbo non-intercooled.

1700 seems a bit high for one, even rebuilt. they can be found for much less and still last for a long time. i personally bought mine for 500 dollars and it was in pretty good condition. being jdm they usually say it has around 60k miles or so which isn't much at all. a plus with the jdm engines is these were in a more of a luxury car that only came with an auto tranny so most likely they weren't driven on very hard. that still doesn't mean that it was taken care of (oil changes and such) but it helps in assuring it wasn't beat on and such.

ebay has a few jdm engines floating around every once in a while. www.z31.com classifieds is a good place to check and probably the best place to check would be www.car-part.com they seems to always have engines listed. i've not searched for any importers that carry the jdm engines yet but i'm sure there are some out there.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

another newbie ?

alrigth guys sry for teh dumb ?'s but i just got turned on 2 maxima's before this i was a 240sx guy , i dunno what it is but sumthin about the 3rd gen maxima appealed 2 me but alright here i go the vg30et is from the 88-90 300 zx right and how much should i pay for it? what about the v series motor form the 350z or the g35 ? what kinda fabrication would i need for the sr20det swap which is what im thinkin of doin? im sry for all these ?'s but im really interested in what i can do thanx alot guys
Old 05-24-2004, 12:45 PM

your best bet would be the vg30et swap from the 87-89 300zx. its almost a direct drop in. you either have to make a custom motor mount (i'm working on getting one made that should work well with this swap) or relocate the turbo.

the sr20det would require quite a bit of fabrication (motor mounts, tranny mounts, and tons of wiring).

if you want some more info on the vg30et swap you can check out my cardomain site http://members.cardomain.com/mtcookson
Old 05-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Seperated at Birth?

no offence or anything, but clear, clean english can help us read your posts much easier.

that being said: listen to mtcookson. but soon, he might not be the only turbo vg around...
Old 05-24-2004, 02:58 PM
No turbo, no care!

Quite frankly, $1700 is a little low for a rebuilt VG30ET. Im rebuilding one right now, and Ive spent more than $1300 on internal parts alone. (That doesnt include injectors, which some of you already know is close to $1k for the 6) Unless you are planning on putting out more than 300hp, a used low mileage VG30ET is the way to go.

As for an SR20DET not having enough torque for a maxima........ maybe if you took the turbo off. A stock SR makes more torque than the VG or VE. Not to mention the severe weight loss over one of our iron block V6s would only help the maxima that much more. Not that I think putting a 4 banger in your max is a good idea.....
Old 05-24-2004, 03:01 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by masssmail
Not to mention the severe weight loss over one of our iron block V6s would only help the maxima that much more.
Iron block?
Old 05-24-2004, 04:40 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Iron block?
What are you confused about? "Iron" is a chemical element (typicaly found in the earths crust) and a "block" is the lower part of the engine that isnt reciprocating......
Old 05-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

excuse me mr grey we cnat all be great typers , thanks for all the help guys ill keep you posted on my project
Old 05-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Seperated at Birth?

good to hear! keep it up... better not beat me to it...
Old 05-24-2004, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Iron block?
VQ's have an aluminum block, maybe internetautomar put one of those in his 3rd gen

I'd like to think that this engine swap project will actually go somewhere, but I highly doubt it. I don't know of any engine swaps in a 3rd gen yet, but I've heard about someone converting one to rear wheel drive and dropping in the VG30ETT, but who knows. Post pics when you are done with your project philmax1, and good luck.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by rosamax
VQ's have an aluminum block, maybe internetautomar put one of those in his 3rd gen

I'd like to think that this engine swap project will actually go somewhere, but I highly doubt it. I don't know of any engine swaps in a 3rd gen yet, but I've heard about someone converting one to rear wheel drive and dropping in the VG30ETT, but who knows. Post pics when you are done with your project philmax1, and good luck.
I dont think that VE & VG heads bolt on to the VQ block and the VQ block has different mounting points than the VG & VE blocks. If you convert a Maxima to RWD you know what you end up with........an Infinity J30. Its basically the same car except one is FWD and one is RWD. I've seen a J30 with a 300Z Twin-Turbo swap with trans and all which is simple since the non turbo 300Z has the same engine as the J30. That is a total sleeper since the car still has the stock rims on it and a quiet exhaust.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by rosamax

?? i did an engine swap or are you talking about something besides the vg/ve?

Originally Posted by FASHIZL
I dont think that VE & VG heads bolt on to the VQ block and the VQ block has different mounting points than the VG & VE blocks. If you convert a Maxima to RWD you know what you end up with........an Infinity J30. Its basically the same car except one is FWD and one is RWD. I've seen a J30 with a 300Z Twin-Turbo swap with trans and all which is simple since the non turbo 300Z has the same engine as the J30. That is a total sleeper since the car still has the stock rims on it and a quiet exhaust.
Infinti J30 is an entirely different beast. The Maxima's J30 chassis [family] code (the true chassis is something like PJ30) has nothing to do with the Infiniti J30's model name. I believe the Infiniti J30 has a chassis family code of Y32.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:53 AM

i'm almost positive there was never a SR24DE in production. the only SR with a different displacement is the SR16VE. also, there might have been a 1.8 liter version but i'm not finding it yet.
SR24DE was a very rare beast - it was built for competition only so was not actually installed in a road going car. A stroker kit for the SR20 sounds like a good idea - maybe they got the idea & tooling from the original comp engine? (they are both 2.4 liters...).

SR18DE's are easy to find - standard engine on NZ & Aussie NX's (known as NX Coupe in Australasia & Japan) and standard on JDM U12 & later Bluebird SSS's.

Whilst the net is a great research tool, it ain't perfect - I've never heard of a SR16VE or SR16DE for that matter, because it wasn't fitted to any Japanese or NZ Nissans we get here (we get the GA16DE engines instead). Doesn't mean to say it don't exist, though...

Also, be careful when buying used JDM engines - some "quoted" mileages are much lower than reality - sometimes up to half the true mileage! We have had plenty of used japanese imports with "only 60k" on the clock that really had double the mileage.

Fitting a SR20DE to a max is like fitting a 2.4 liter turbo engine from a PT cruiser to a 300m - the engine may be lighter & develop as much torque, but it's got a heavier body to haul around and you know it's gonna develop most of it's torque high up in the rev range.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:23 AM

Quite frankly, $1700 is a little low for a rebuilt VG30ET. Im rebuilding one right now, and Ive spent more than $1300 on internal parts alone. (That doesnt include injectors, which some of you already know is close to $1k for the 6) Unless you are planning on putting out more than 300hp, a used low mileage VG30ET is the way to go.
I would never ever drop $1000, or anywhere near $1000 on injectors. let alone stock ones. You could have RC Engineering make you a set of custom ones for just over half of that.

As for an SR20DET not having enough torque for a maxima........ maybe if you took the turbo off. A stock SR makes more torque than the VG or VE. Not to mention the severe weight loss over one of our iron block V6s would only help the maxima that much more. Not that I think putting a 4 banger in your max is a good idea.....
however, the torque curves are different.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:31 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by MrGone
however, the torque curves are different.
which IMO is probably why it might not be the best choice of motors to PULL the heavier Maxima
Old 05-25-2004, 04:05 AM
Im izz sexay

MT how much will you be selling the custom mounts for?
Old 05-25-2004, 04:31 AM

[QUOTE=mtcookson]jdm sr24de?!? never heard of such a thing. are you talking about the usdm ka24de? its a strong engine that has tons of potential but the sr would still be better than that just due to how much aftermarket support it has.
QUOTE]the ka24de has a pretty decent aftermarket and will actually outperform a sr once its built. it can handle boost very well once you build the bottom end. go over to altimas.net and read there turbo forum and see for yourself.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:52 AM
No turbo, no care!

I would never ever drop $1000, or anywhere near $1000 on injectors. let alone stock ones.
Neither would I, I'm just quoting OEM prices since its likely an engine rebuilder would use those parts.

You could have RC Engineering make you a set of custom ones for just over half of that.
Meh, I just got used Z32 TT injectors for $100. $120 for testing, cleaning and new O-rings still leaves me under $250
Old 05-25-2004, 08:18 AM

Infinti J30 is an entirely different beast. The Maxima's J30 chassis [family] code (the true chassis is something like PJ30) has nothing to do with the Infiniti J30's model name. I believe the Infiniti J30 has a chassis family code of Y32.
The chassis do have different codes but they are similar. Its like one car is based off of a modified version of the other. Like the Audi TT Quattro and the VW Golf A4 platform. They are almost the same except when it comes to the floorpan and a few other things like gastank placement. I've taken the dash out of a J30 at work and its almost identical to the Maxima. Not basing my reasoning soley on that but when you have them side by side they are pretty similar.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by turdlett
MT how much will you be selling the custom mounts for?
i'm not sure yet. shouldn't cost too much but it all depends on how easily i can find the parts i need and such.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Im izz sexay

What gains can you expect if you decide to get your turbo intercooled? Do you think your going to get a larger turbo?
Old 05-25-2004, 04:19 PM

do they even sell like crate motors for out nissans? of something "new" not buying used from a person.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:50 PM

the fact is, none of you except for mtcookson is gonna attempt an engine swap or end up boosting so why even bother discussing it?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

you can always tell the guys that have been around here for a while
Old 05-25-2004, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by turdlett
What gains can you expect if you decide to get your turbo intercooled? Do you think your going to get a larger turbo?
on a stock 300zx turbo with the boost turned up to 155 psi (stock turbo limit) i believe it pushed around 250 whp and something like over 300 wtq. i should be able to push the same or more with my setup since i have freer flowing intake and exhaust and all that fun stuff.

i definitely plan on putting a bigger turbo on in the future. i'm hoping to do a frount mount intercooler setup with a T3/60-1 turbo. if i can get the tranny to hold a lot of power, i'm going to push as much power as i can out of it.

Quick Reply: sr20det in maxima