3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What else could it be ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 04:01 PM
GReDdyXMaXiMa

What else could it be ?

Today , finally I put a new knock sensor and installed everything back together but it runs rough at first and now it runs better now. The problem is that the car isnt giving alot of power and when I parked my car and then turned off the engine and it wont go on then I had to wait for like 5 minutes to start up and finally it started up so then I drove around and every time when I stop and I give a gas it started to feel like shut down then more power after when I pump little more pedal also the engine control fuse 10-a popped out then I had to replaced it to 15 and it is doing the same thing so I decided to put 20. I already put on new oxygen 2 sensor and everything. One more thing the computer says that I need code # 12. Do you think that one of those reason that might cause the problem ?

Old 06-02-2004, 04:09 PM

You need to start by putting the right fuse back in the box so that you don't overload the system and start a fire in your car. If you check the stickies above, error code 12 is for the MAF or mass air flow sensor, so you need to double check to make sure it is plugged in and not corroded or anything. If it keeps throwing that code you may want to try to find a spare MAF to swap in to see if that fixes your problem.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:31 PM
mod or sell?

also, put a real air filter on the car.
those foam one's are trouble waiting to happen
Old 06-02-2004, 04:55 PM
GReDdyXMaXiMa

Hey Internetautomar , I am talking about my another maxima and those picture you are looking at is in Miami and I have another one here in Boston. I have a real air filter on which it is K/N but it is HUGE air filter cone which it is for trucks.

Old 06-03-2004, 05:13 AM
mod or sell?

ah, a 2 max man
Old 06-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when i fryed my ecu it was blowing the engine control fuse and it turned out to be i had pinched the rear injector harness between the upper intake manifold and back valve cover so after about 10 min of driving it wore through all the tape and sheithing and shorted out all the wires so id check to make sure that harness isnt grounded out on any of the wires
Old 06-03-2004, 09:30 AM

You may also want to try to clean the maf with something. Sometimes with K&N type filters are too oily and the oil coats the sensor in the MAF. You should double check this with someone else, but I think you are supposed to use brake cleaner or alcohol or something to clean it with.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:23 AM
mod or sell?

Alchohol because it evaporates and a bit o'hol never hurt an engine
Old 06-03-2004, 02:03 PM
GReDdyXMaXiMa

I will make sure that there isnt no ground wire touching anywhere that keep blowing the fuse and probably my ecu is no good but I'll get MAF from the junkyard tomorrow and see how it go. If it is same then I guess the only main problem is ECU and how can I know if ECU is no good? Thanks for the help .

Regards
Maxima fellows