3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Power increases

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 02:32 PM

Power increases

What kind of power can i expect with upgrading to Pace setter headers, a wsp y-pipe, and a high flow cat. I already have a C.A.I and a 3a racing Dual Dtm tip muffler. The car is a 1991 with the Vg. If any one can think of any thing else to add that doesnt cost a fortune(ie CHIP) please let me know. The engine is other wise stock.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Im izz sexay

Pacesetter Headers are known to have fitment issues with our maximas. What CAI did you get? You need better suspension mods now.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:15 PM

power is nothing without control.u will increase the performance better by putting on some eibachs,the performance will be felt better and the car wont leen back at launch.wat type of set up r u looking for?
Old 06-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Kikcaffine
What kind of power can i expect with upgrading to Pace setter headers, a wsp y-pipe, and a high flow cat. I already have a C.A.I and a 3a racing Dual Dtm tip muffler. The car is a 1991 with the Vg. If any one can think of any thing else to add that doesnt cost a fortune(ie CHIP) please let me know. The engine is other wise stock.
with all of that, i'd say you'd get about 12hp. maybe 17 if you're lucky. the farther from the engine, the less hp the mod creates. a muffler adds the least gain out of all of those things you listed.

it is tough to get extra hp out of the vg, even if you tear it down and hot rod it.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:14 PM

Just to let you know Kikcaffine you can't install pacesetter headers and the WSP Y-pipe...This is b\c the two pipes do not line up! I had the same problem i bought the two thinkin if i installed only the headers that the warpspeed pipe would line up....WRONG. Now i have the pipe in ma garage as it gain some dust. Personally i would say don't put them on it was the biggest mistake I have made so far! If u are doing it yourself it will take forever b\c you don't wanna snap a manifold stud b\c then you are ****ed!! So you have to lub up all the and let it sit for a day...when u do it you must take your time when you take em all off , it takes forever! If a stop is doing it don't even bother they are gonna charge you for lik 6-7 hrs of labor while putting on a WSP pipe is lik 80. It is a big difference in money for virtually the same amount of power. By the way you don't want headers on anyway they make your car iddle hard and make everything shake inside you car! Just pick up a WSP y-pipe and save yourself the time and troubles. The only upside to having them it that when i floor it ma car sounds lik an animal and ya can say u have headers on a 90 Max. When i do my new engine swap in the fall i am buying new OEM exhaust manifolds and putting the WSP pipe in! The biggest difference you will feel outta a VG would be a UR underdrive pulley , that made a big diff on how the car accelerated. A Greddy SP cat back is a nice power and sound mod.... You would be supprised what a nice set of Platium Plugs and Performance wires would do 2. And of course a CAI helps how the car breaths. But remember as turdlett mentioned don't only look for power, work on supension as well. There is alot out there for our car .... Springs , Sway Bars, Strut Bars , Shocks , look into that as well. Best of luck w\ ya car.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:15 PM

I want it to be able to spin the tires from a dead stop and chirp second. It seems that its close to being chirpable but its not.

The intake was made for a 95, i believe R1 racing made it. It was 50$ with the adapter plate and it fit 100% perfectly

As for my driving style i drive it like a sports car, just a 4 door one! Its driven like a bat out of heck!
Old 06-13-2004, 04:20 PM

I dont think i can Under Drive it because of the stereo system Im running (700 watts rms and a 1 farad cap). if it wont make the car die when im driving then its a very high possiblility. Are the underdrive pulleys hard to install? i mean i installed new belts on my ranger, its mainly electrical work i can do. If its not too hard i will do it my self
Old 06-13-2004, 04:36 PM

The Underdrive pulley was not 2 hard to do you will need all new smaller sized belts so that is sits right on the pulley. A lift would make the job a whole bunch easier...if you do not have acess to one then it might might be better to wait into your belts need replacement and then have the belts done w\ the pulley!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:32 PM

if all u want is to do burnouts. then get a clutch and flywheel..i can churp 3rd with my set up.all i have is a clutch/flywheel/intake and eibach's..its much easier to feel the power when ur clutch does not slip at all.as far as a pulley i fell ur concern i got 2 12's with 1000 watt amp.im going for the pulleys this summer.