3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

sound system problem (long!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 08:31 PM

Hi all. I'm new to this board, but am the original owner of a '91 SE (5 sp., of course). The car's got over 180,000 miles, and I'm planning to replace it as soon as the '02s come out, probably with another SE.
The day before yesterday I noticed a coolant leak. I found a small split in a short u-shaped hose going to what I think is the water pump. I went to the Nissan dealer, got a replacement hose (a bypass hose, the parts guy called it), went home to install it. Removing the hose clamp on top of the engine was easy; removing the clamp on the other end proved impossible because of close quarters and Nissan's decision to use spring clamps rather than screw clamps. I went back to the dealer that night and dropped the car off for early bird service. They called me mid-morning yesterday to tell me that the tech while fixing the hose had noticed an oil leak at the oil pressure switch, and also noticed that the front brake pads were totally shot. Fixing everything would run near $400. As I say, I'm getting rid of the car within six months, but I'll probably be selling it to a nice kid (friend of my daughter's), so I told the dealer to fix everything. After work I picked up the car (noticed the labor charge for replacing the stupid hose was $127.50), and turned on the radio as I was leaving the dealer's lot. Immediately I was assaulted by an EAR-SPLITTING hum! It reminded me of my youth, sitting up front at Who concerts in the late 60s, except now I don't like it when my ears hurt! Adjusting the volume control made no difference, switching stations made no difference, sticking a cassette in the tape deck made no difference. The hum slowly lowered in pitch (but not volume!) over the course of fifteen seconds or so, then started back up.
I made a quick U-turn and went back to the service writer, telling him (truthfully), "The sound system worked fine last night when I dropped the car off. It's not working fine now." He called to a mechanic, saying, "I've never heard a noise like this before! How about you?" The mechanic said, "We had a lot of rain last night, and your car was outside. Probably something got wet. But nothing we did--water hose, oil pressure switch, front brakes--had anything to do with the radio. Those Bose systems are touchy anyway. See what happens over the next few days." The service writer echoed the mechanic's words.
So that's where I am. Drove the car this morning--same noise. As I told the guys at the dealer, the only problem I've had with the system (and that's been ongoing for a couple of years!) is that the front left speaker occasionally cuts out. Boosting the volume quickly almost always brings it right back in. I definitely get the feeling this is gonna get into one of those my story/your story things with the dealer.
Can you folks come up with any helpful ideas? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2001, 09:00 PM
Jedi Knight

do you still have the factory headunit in? It is possible though that something could have gone wrong overnight, although it is near improbable. I would take it back to the dealer and insist that they diagnose the problem for free and maybe fix it, being that it worked when you dropped it off.
Old 03-31-2001, 09:18 PM

Noise

In order to get to work on the oil pressure sender they most likely removed the alternator. This would have disturbed the ground path to the worst noise generator in any system. A little grease (from hands) on the wrong spot and you no longer have a clean ground. Bose are no more touchy than any other system for a need for clean power and good grounds.

If they won't fix it, this is something you can do yourself. I used electronics contact cleaner and brake cleaner when I had my alternator out while fixing exhaust studs.

Good luck,
John
Old 04-02-2001, 08:39 AM

Update

Last night, after the Max had sat untouched in my garage for about 36 hours, I took it out on an errand. I braced myself against the coming aural onslaught, and powered on the radio. Got no superloud hum. . . no sound at all. I turned up the volume. . . music! I switched stations, I put in a tape. Everything was back to normal!
I dunno, maybe the mechanic at the dealership actually knew what he was talking about? ! ?
The radio was still working okay this morning. If it's still okay tomorrow, I'll call the dealership and let them know they're off the hook.