3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My VE is lucky to be running right now

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My VE is lucky to be running right now

Kind of long, don't want to leave anything out.

I have to share my experience last night that involves heavy valve lashing, and the oil light. After I got out of work last night I jumped into my VE and started to drive home. When I got to the stop light at the end of the block I started hearing some real LOUD valve clatter from the engine bay. At the same time my oil light came on. The light never came on in the 4 years I've had my VE. I pulled over, poped the hood, smelled smoke. I looked under the car and behold a big a** pool of motor oil.

I thought my front seal went, but to cause that much fluid loss? Luckily my mother's house was 3 blocks away. I have to tell ya it was the longest 3 blocks of my LIFE. when I got there I went under the car and started feeling around. To my suprise, the oil filter was loose, loose enough to let out 5 quarts of oil. I turned the filter, but it never got tight. It seemed to keep jumping the last thread.

So today I went to autozone got a filter and oil and put them on/in the car(there was no oil left to drain). Get this.....when I started the car, the RPMs race to 7000 and would not move up nor down. I turned off the car tried again same thing. I waited 5 min., started the egine again. Instead of racing to 7000, it kept going from 3000 - 5000 and vice versa for a few minutes. I decided to take it for a slow ride, it seemed to be fine.

Now here's what's real FUNNY, weird, and/or a miracle. My VTC ticking probelm is GONE!! At first I thought I was hearing things (no noise), not recognizing to sweet sound of silence. I'v tried everything, VTC grounding, marvel mystery oil, toyota oil filter. Nothing helped...until today. Go figure. the only thing I hear is just a little tick at start up for like 10 seconds then she's purring. WOW!! I have a NEW respect for the durability of the GREAT VE
Old 07-01-2004, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nmax92
Kind of long, don't want to leave anything out.

I have to share my experience last night that involves heavy valve lashing, and the oil light. After I got out of work last night I jumped into my VE and started to drive home. When I got to the stop light at the end of the block I started hearing some real LOUD valve clatter from the engine bay. At the same time my oil light came on. The light never came on in the 4 years I've had my VE. I pulled over, poped the hood, smelled smoke. I looked under the car and behold a big a** pool of motor oil.

I thought my front seal went, but to cause that much fluid loss? Luckily my mother's house was 3 blocks away. I have to tell ya it was the longest 3 blocks of my LIFE. when I got there I went under the car and started feeling around. To my suprise, the oil filter was loose, loose enough to let out 5 quarts of oil. I turned the filter, but it never got tight. It seemed to keep jumping the last thread.

So today I went to autozone got a filter and oil and put them on/in the car(there was no oil left to drain). Get this.....when I started the car, the RPMs race to 7000 and would not move up nor down. I turned off the car tried again same thing. I waited 5 min., started the egine again. Instead of racing to 7000, it kept going from 3000 - 5000 and vice versa for a few minutes. I decided to take it for a slow ride, it seemed to be fine.

Now here's what's real FUNNY, weird, and/or a miracle. My VTC ticking probelm is GONE!! At first I thought I was hearing things (no noise), not recognizing to sweet sound of silence. I'v tried everything, VTC grounding, marvel mystery oil, toyota oil filter. Nothing helped...until today. Go figure. the only thing I hear is just a little tick at start up for like 10 seconds then she's purring. WOW!! I have a NEW respect for the durability of the GREAT VE
haha nice, guess it turned out to be a great day for you in the end
Old 07-02-2004, 12:38 AM

although the no oil thing still scares me, sounds like your car really wanted an Italian Tuneup

btw, what kind of filters are you using?
My Mom blew up a chebby 350 because the rubber seal from the old oil filter stayed on the engine, then combining that with the new one, after a few weeks they cracked and puked oil everywhere.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
although the no oil thing still scares me, sounds like your car really wanted an Italian Tuneup

btw, what kind of filters are you using?
My Mom blew up a chebby 350 because the rubber seal from the old oil filter stayed on the engine, then combining that with the new one, after a few weeks they cracked and puked oil everywhere.

The one that was on the car, my mechanic put on, some generic crap. The filter i got from auto store was a pure one. There was a big difference between the size of the pure one filter and generic. The pure one was 1 1/2 taller!! i don't know if that has an affect on the car or not, but first glance it's not settling. Every seen the old Castrol commercial where the engine seized with no oil in it. That was playing back in my mind 100 times a second. I still can't believe my VTC problem is gone.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:08 AM

Can you come to Boston and bless my VE?
Old 07-02-2004, 11:40 AM

This can only mean one thing......
anyone with the VTC clicking can easily fix their problem by riding their car around with no oil. or starting the car WOT redlining it in neutral.

Pick your poison.....

NAH, lol. im glad to see ur problems went away and your car didnt blow up.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:03 PM
mod or sell?

u r lucky.
my first max pulled a similar stunt on me when I first got it.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:17 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by Nmax92
The one that was on the car, my mechanic put on, some generic crap. The filter i got from auto store was a pure one. There was a big difference between the size of the pure one filter and generic. The pure one was 1 1/2 taller!! i don't know if that has an affect on the car or not, but first glance it's not settling. Every seen the old Castrol commercial where the engine seized with no oil in it. That was playing back in my mind 100 times a second. I still can't believe my VTC problem is gone.
i hate to burst your bubble but it will be back. before i fixed my vtc's, when they were clacking i would change the oil. the ticking went away for 200-500 miles then would rear its ugly head again. you cant fix the VTC by any other means than rebuilding them. and as for the grounding of them if you do it right it will work it worked on mine but i just fixed them instead it drives me nuts when there is ghetto rigged things in my car.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow thats not good, u know theres a good chance u damaged something in there. u said u heard sounds and could smell smoke well they came from something. after u filled the oil did u drain it again to see if there was any metal in it?? if it did damage something u might not notice it now but i hope for your lake u are a lucky guy lol, good luck!
oh did u change your oil your self or did a shop do it, if a shop did it go back to them ASAP and deal with it. my friend had his car at the shop getting an oil change and some other stuff done, they drove the car out of the shop for him 4getting to put oil back in the engine. he got a new engine out of it so its all good lol
Old 07-02-2004, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by gowirelessnj
i hate to burst your bubble but it will be back. before i fixed my vtc's, when they were clacking i would change the oil. the ticking went away for 200-500 miles then would rear its ugly head again. you cant fix the VTC by any other means than rebuilding them. and as for the grounding of them if you do it right it will work it worked on mine but i just fixed them instead it drives me nuts when there is ghetto rigged things in my car.

I'll keep you posted when I hit 500 miles if it starts to click. Please don't send me any bad mojo. The smell of oil I was getting was coming from some of it getting on the manifold. cleaned the engine, now no more smell.