3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Tin

Help!!

i was installing my new deck and everything with that works perfectly...
but then i put it all back together and got ready to go for a ride. start the engine....turn on the lights and "ohhh sh*t!!!" none of the lights in the dash or for my gauges work at all. i checked the fuse for "meter" and it was fine. is there another connector i might of knocked out for the all of the dash and gauges lights? pleeeeeeeease help!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 07:38 PM
mod or sell?

does the radio work?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:07 PM
Tin

Originally Posted by internetautomar
does the radio work?
the radio works absolutely perfectly
Old 07-21-2004, 08:29 PM

Check the relays under the dash, the 3 big blue ones, mine did the same thing, just hit the junk yard and get the same 3 or just buy 3 new ones
Old 07-21-2004, 10:01 PM

its a fuse, the ones located right bout where your left knee would be. the same thing happend to me. Go through them all and look at them. I can't remember which one it is, but Its one that wouldnt even make sense. i dont know if im explaining myself very well here... but just trust me, go through them all, one of them is popped.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:34 PM

Hi Tin,

check the two Accessory relay,

the second one and the third one,

for the two blue Accessory relay,

here the picture with the two Accessory relay,

Old 07-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Tin

Update--
thanks a lot guys, i will try that.

another thing i noticed was that when i turn the headlight switch...the only thing that works are the high beams and the headlights. the midway "dim switch" doesnt work, and neither do the gauge or dash lights on another light stage. so on that thought, i'm going to check the switch itself. it could have a bad or weak connection.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Im izz sexay

It's the tail light fuse. I had the same problem when I did my foglight rewire. Check your radio's ground.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Tin

the ground goes from the wiring harness from the radio to the chasis on the side. i checked every single fuse in the fuse box at the left leg and they were all good except one. i replaced that one, but still the same problem. btw, the corner lights work when i signal, but not when i switch it to the "dim light" setting.

i also changed the switch, got the same results.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Im izz sexay

Go to craig b's website. The blown fuse is the tail light fuse. That fuse controls all of the above that you are having trouble with. I experienced the same problem. By checking your ground did you do it or did you use a wire harness because I had a problem were my harness had it's ground connected to nowhere so I had to do it by myself.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Tin

ok...u guys are right, but there was another blown fuse too, and this is the 2nd one.

so i replaced the fuse, turned on the lights, saw that it wasnt working, looked at the fuse again, and saw that i blew the fuse. --so the tail lamp's fuse keeps getting blown.

heres a question i probably should of asked earlier, but i didnt bc 'm an idiot. my radio's wiring harness has one orange wire for illum/dimmer. however, the car (i think or it might be vice versa) has two seperate wires, one for illum, and one for dim. which one was i supposed to hook it up to...or was i supposed to connect the 3 together??? i think i have the 3 connected together right now, but i also tried having one of each connected to the harness, and same results. --did this do some damage???

as for the ground wire, where is it supposed to be at? right now i have the ground wire from the harness of the radio going to the side of the radio, screwed into the chasis. is this right?
--i did this because i already had an aftermarket deck in, and this new radio replaced that aftermarket deck. the other deck was done the same way.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:18 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Tin
ok...u guys are right, but there was another blown fuse too, and this is the 2nd one.

so i replaced the fuse, turned on the lights, saw that it wasnt working, looked at the fuse again, and saw that i blew the fuse. --so the tail lamp's fuse keeps getting blown.

heres a question i probably should of asked earlier, but i didnt bc 'm an idiot. my radio's wiring harness has one orange wire for illum/dimmer. however, the car (i think or it might be vice versa) has two seperate wires, one for illum, and one for dim. which one was i supposed to hook it up to...or was i supposed to connect the 3 together??? i think i have the 3 connected together right now, but i also tried having one of each connected to the harness, and same results. --did this do some damage???
Potentially, Just hook up the illum one and leave off the dim.

as for the ground wire, where is it supposed to be at? right now i have the ground wire from the harness of the radio going to the side of the radio, screwed into the chasis. is this right?
--i did this because i already had an aftermarket deck in, and this new radio replaced that aftermarket deck. the other deck was done the same way.
I think mine is that way also, no big deal anyway, a ground is a ground so long as it isn't switched
Old 07-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Tin

problem solved!
I replaced the tail light fuse, i took out the radio and disconnected the illumination, dimmer, and power antenna wires and bam! problem solved.

thanks a lot to everyone who helped!