3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

RWD conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 08:03 AM

RWD conversion?

Hey
First, awsome site guys. TONS of useful info....might even steal that shaved trunk look that I found

Anyways, my question is what is involved in a RWD conversion of a 1990 Maxima? I am pretty sure of what would be needed...but I would first like to check and make sure. The biggest problems I can think of right now is a) driveshaft and b) how to hang a diff?

I own a 1990 Max, and it needs ALOT of work (paid $100....engine and trans run STRONG, but body beaten up...). Figured that if I'm going to be stripping it down I'd like to do something with it. I have mechanical knowledge, and know alot about RWD cars (I've mainly worked on older american cars).

So - Converting a FWD to a RWD?
Old 07-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by heheheha
Hey
First, awsome site guys. TONS of useful info....might even steal that shaved trunk look that I found

Anyways, my question is what is involved in a RWD conversion of a 1990 Maxima? I am pretty sure of what would be needed...but I would first like to check and make sure. The biggest problems I can think of right now is a) driveshaft and b) how to hang a diff?

I own a 1990 Max, and it needs ALOT of work (paid $100....engine and trans run STRONG, but body beaten up...). Figured that if I'm going to be stripping it down I'd like to do something with it. I have mechanical knowledge, and know alot about RWD cars (I've mainly worked on older american cars).

So - Converting a FWD to a RWD?
uh oh you asked the RWD question get ready for some bashing.

I would just build a full custom frame and cut and rebuild the floor board. That is the best way because then you can stick a V8 or something in there (pro street maxima)...or a TT 3.5 with a 6 speed.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:15 AM

I DID try to use the search function, several times, but it would not work for me. Said I didn't have permission or some such nonsense.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Banned

im just repeating your name...heheheha, kinda appropriate
Old 07-23-2004, 08:18 AM

It's my name everywhere...has been ever since I was old enough to use email

So full frame and floor rebuild. Alrite. Any suggestions on material? Also, I'd like to not go with a V8...Gas is too much right now I was actually thinking of building a Buick GNX 3.8L block ( T/A now sells Al blocks, bore-able up to 4.00").
Old 07-23-2004, 08:41 AM

3rd gen RWD conversion - 165 posts ( and counting)
Old 07-23-2004, 08:43 AM
I'm needing a caw

Does anyone have a SHRED of common sense anymore?
Old 07-23-2004, 08:45 AM

I did in fact jump back several pages in search of this info, yet couldn't find any. So if you know of any, please just point me and I will gladly go to that thread.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:59 AM

Ok, here's the deal, it's not going to happen! Sorry! It sounds cool and I would love to have it myself, but really what's the point on a 11+ year old four door car. Heck, you don't even have a VE.

But if you are truely determined to do this we can even have a little competion. The way I see it, I more likely to develop a compact hydrogen engine in my garage using everyday tools around the house, before there is a single person on this site to convert a 3rd gen Max to RWD. Just my .02.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:07 AM
I'm needing a caw

Here are the instructions:

1) Sell maxima
2) Buy a Datsun 810, BMW 325, Infiniti M30, etc....
Old 07-23-2004, 09:14 AM

jeff time to use that red tread lock (lol)
Old 07-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A guy can dream can't he? Nothing is impossible when you got mechanical skills and lots of cash, but mainly skills. While I do doubt that any maxima chassis would ever work for a rwd conversion if someone is good enough with a grinder and welding torch they could build their own chassis or use an existing one. (Perhaps a stretched 300zx chassis?...) The age old question is an 11 year old car worth the money? Let the guy who want's to do it decide that one.

Perhaps this is a job for Jesse James...
Old 07-23-2004, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
Ok, here's the deal, it's not going to happen! Sorry! It sounds cool and I would love to have it myself, but really what's the point on a 11+ year old four door car. Heck, you don't even have a VE.

But if you are truely determined to do this we can even have a little competion. The way I see it, I more likely to develop a compact hydrogen engine in my garage using everyday tools around the house, before there is a single person on this site to convert a 3rd gen Max to RWD. Just my .02.
Hi,

he has a 14+ year old four door car,

he does not have a 11+ year old four door car,
Old 07-23-2004, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by maximagxe90
Hi,

he has a 14+ year old four door car,

he does not have a 11+ year old four door car,

Yes I do realize that, but my car is 11+ years old and I was speaking of myself.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by adamis
The age old question is an 11 year old car worth the money?
Look at mike's car (great example)...if he got on here a couple years ago and said "I just picked up a beat up old maxima, im gonna do all this stuff to it", and he has, people would have said it probably wasn't worth it, but since mike has lots of skills and knows his ****...it happened, id say it was worth it...just get that thing painted lol
Old 07-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Gjohnson

Hmmm...anybody on this site? If you want to put some money on it I could do it . It wouldnt be a maxima any more (except for the outer shell) but I could build a custom frame SB Chevy powered pro street Maxima. It may take me forever since I am poor and would rather use my frame building skills (the ones I know I have just havent used LOL) on my Chevelle but I can do it...I even have the parts cars to use LOL. Of course most people dont think of making a full frame car when they are talking about doing this. They are wanting to keep it pretty much stock except with a diff. in the rear.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by DMad8724
Look at mike's car (great example)...if he got on here a couple years ago and said "I just picked up a beat up old maxima, im gonna do all this stuff to it", and he has, people would have said it probably wasn't worth it, but since mike has lots of skills and knows his ****...it happened, id say it was worth it...just get that thing painted lol
LOL I wonder some times if it is worth it. Actually the main reason I decided to do the work is so I can learn and improve so when I tackle the Chevelle I would be confident in my work so in that respect it was well worth it. I would rather learn on a Maxima than my 66 Chevelle .
Old 07-23-2004, 09:48 AM

You know what Mike, I wouldn't put it past you. And I know you know what my point is. I've been on this site for almost 2 years and I've seen countless RWD posts, not to mention group deal skyline kits.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:52 AM
I'm needing a caw

Until someone comes along and doesn't have to ask HOW to do it, these threads get locked. Because if you have to ask, you shouldn't be attempting it.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

It's in the faqs now
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....53#post3094253
Old 07-23-2004, 09:58 AM

your the man.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bear with me as I fantasize...
We've established that this would be a ridiculous thing to do - due to the money and time required. We've established that you would need mad skills to successfully accomplish such a thing. We've established that certain individuals on this site have those skills - namely awsm66 and Matt. And most importantly we've established that it is, in fact, possible to do. Sooooooo...., just thinking out loud here for a second...., let's suppose you were to use the frame connectors that Matt (?) sells and the chassis brace that Matt sells (probably in a modified form). Now lets suppose you use a Jaguar IRS - it mounts right above the rear diff on a plate, and has leading arms similar to our stock suspesion - so a modified front pivot point is plausible. Now you need to create something strong enough to mount that rear to. If you were to join the two shock towers at the bottom with 2 peices of square tubbing and then join them at the top with 1 peice of square tubing (all run horizontally), then put a plate in the center of the lower two square tubes, you could probably mount the rear to that - just as hot rodders have done for years when switching to a Jag IRS or when building a kit car with the Jag IRS. The bottom 2 tubes would actually have to extend through the shock tower tho - so you could have something to mount the dual coil-overs that come with a Jag IRS to. Some might wonder why even keep the stock shock towers then? Well...., I'm thinking it would be easier to leave'em 'as is' rather then have to fabricate all new wheel tubs and then tie those into the existing rockers. (I was going for easy here - and remember - still just thinking out loud... )
Now you'd probably have to address the torque going to that rear-end, and the cross-tubes would probably work - for awhile - b4 breaking a weld somewhere. So I would then join the top and bottom square tubing with some more tubing welded-in (vertically). Now off those verticle tubes, run tubes down, fore and aft, on an angle out towards the stock frame rails and weld them to the stock frame rails (make sure to 'box' this section of stock frame rail first tho - as they are just a 'U' with the floor sheet metal over top from the factory. This set-up would take the torque and maintain a relatively stock looking trunk/rear seat area.
Now you'd have the rear-end mounted and you'd have to address the fuel tank placement. Fuel cell in the trunk? 2 seperate tanks in the stock location on either side of the drive shaft?
As for the front and mounting the engine......., I would say if you can't figure that part out, don't even think about doing such a conversion - cause realitively......, that part is straight forward. Get ready to highly modify your heater, computer position, firewall and add a transmission tunnel. Then you'd have to find a way to make your instruments work. Personally...., I would be worried the most about this part.

Either way, stupid or not, fantasy or reality, money or broke - it's always nice to dream about this stuff...
Old 07-23-2004, 12:02 PM
mod or sell?

or take the hillbilly route, and drop the maxima body on a conventional full frame that is cut to match wheelbases.
of course it's easiest done with a small block chevy
Old 07-23-2004, 12:08 PM

Ya, that works too - I actually suggested an S10 frame with a 350 conversion to someone awhile ago in another RWD conversion thread. Nobody listens tho....

Now I wanna see someone actually do this - just for kicks. Where is JJ when you need him??
Old 07-23-2004, 12:16 PM
mod or sell?

I'll probably have a spare S10 frame soon 100" wheelbase.
Don't tempt me.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:20 PM

LOL!! Do it man!!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:55 PM

i seen a video on kazaa of a front clip of an r34 skyline on a pick up truck like a b seris mazda or a s10 drifting with the rb26dett
Old 07-23-2004, 01:02 PM

Why do it? Because it is "dumb" and "pointless" and "ridiculous." That's why. Sure, I COULD go and buy a different car...and have the same car as hundreds of others. This allows me to test MY skills, as well as say it CAN be done. Whether or not you chose to help is really up to you. You don't *have* to answer. I was simply looking to see if anyone has any experience doing such a thing. But seeing as how no one has, I'll go in alone on it. Thanx
Old 07-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Maxima Withdrawl is real

OMG i cant belive this comes up again and again and again
Old 07-23-2004, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
This thread was locked earlier

Also I dont know where you guys are coming up with this SBC would be easiest. SBF's are the smallest and you dont have to worry about dizzy clearance on the firewall.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:48 PM

Lots of people have 'experience doing such a thing' - they're called drag-racers and hot-rodders. If you want a 'how to' and specific advice on something such as this, you need to make sure you're asking the right people and searching for your information from the correct source.
If you're going to do this, you have to stop thinking of your car as a Maxima - cause like someone else said above, besides the shell looking like a Maxima - it won't be a Maxima. So take on more of a hot-rodder / drag-racer mind set......., do your research......, get your funds in order......., set attainable goals in terms of chassis design powertrain and time...... and you might actually be able to pull this off - if you got skills that is.
Good luck.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:59 PM

oh yes, lets put a V8 with a car that was meant for a 6. Muchless one that was designed transversely. In a car that already has major body distortion just by jacking it up.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by MrGone
oh yes, lets put a V8 with a car that was meant for a 6. Muchless one that was designed transversely. In a car that already has major body distortion just by jacking it up.

come on shawn we say build a frame for it. If you build a frame for it then it will not distort because the frame will keep it from flexing.

Have you ever seen how they make race cars or even pro street cars. They take the car and cut the complete floor pan out. Build a frame for it and set the shell on the frame. Then they build the floor pan back around the motor and frame. Thats what I was talking about doing...it wouldnt be much of a maxima anymore (like I said earlier) but it can be done.

Edit: btw I am not advocating doing this...just saying that it is done all the time and it can be done.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well fellas, I think we are just about done with this circle jerk. Let us know when it's done hehehehehe and we will be glad to take a look.

We are still waiting on Chrischeezer's TT maxima, about 3 VQ30 swaps, and one awd maxima that was supposed to happen.