3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

resonator removal????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

resonator removal????

i have been hearing some things about resonator removal....will it make my 92 louder...........how do i take it out...please help....thanks

also- i plan on welding a universal muffler on....when i add the muffler will i be able to tell a difference with out the resonator..than if i were were to keep it in
Old 08-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

seriously you might just want to cut off your muffler, leave the rest of the exhaust alone. it will be loudest between 1500-2500rpm.

do you even have a pop charger yet? do that first, the whole no muffler thing is fun for a bit but gets old after a while.

edit: also, research what a resonator does, it would be the last thing I would want to take off the exhaust.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i though it just muffles the intake....but i heard it made the exhaust louder...am i right???
Old 08-19-2004, 10:29 PM

ohhhh I thought you were talking about the resonator in your exhaust.

ahhhhhh ok. If you take off the resonator on your intake it will make it sound alot deeper, has a nice growl, also I noticed more midrange pull when i did that to mine.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what would happen if i took the one off in the exhaust...where is it exactly located
Old 08-19-2004, 10:45 PM

its too much work to take it off the exhaust. It is located after the cat and before the first bend in the catback. There are no performance gains and it wont really get any louder, just make wierd nasty noises like a bee's in a can noise or just rattling/viberation noises.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:34 AM

ok... so how do i take the resonator off? it's like glued on with silicon glue...
Old 08-20-2004, 12:53 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxNub91
ok... so how do i take the resonator off? it's like glued on with silicon glue...
"...glued on with silicon glue"?? Hahahaaaa... I hardly doubt that, bro! Just think for a moment. I don't think (and I could be wrong here, so anyone feel free to toss me a bone here...) there's a silicone glue MADE, that'll withstand the temps generated by an exhaust - especially around the cat area.

(disclaimer: don't mind me, and don't take anything I'm saying in a bad context - I just try to add a little humor to some of the things I say)

As for the HOW on taking the resonator off, I'd just get the Sawzall and have at it. That's what I did, lo these 3-4 years ago... And Shawn's kinda-sorta right - it WILL give you a kind of rattling noise. But I noted that my car is a LOT louder with it off. But that might be because I'm practically running a straight-thru exhaust...

So, unless you don't care if you're gonna make some new acquaintances with your local law enforcement officials, droppedlow, you might wanna reconsider if you want to go that route or not
Old 08-20-2004, 12:54 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxNub91
But now that I'm thinking about it, you might be talking about the intake...
Old 08-20-2004, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
But now that I'm thinking about it, you might be talking about the intake...
hahahhha welcome to the club hehehehhehee

to remove the intake one just take it out. It's been so long, IIRC the resonator bolts to the lower part of the air box then the top of it is just held on with a 'hose clamp'.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
hahahhha welcome to the club hehehehhehee

to remove the intake one just take it out. It's been so long, IIRC the resonator bolts to the lower part of the air box then the top of it is just held on with a 'hose clamp'.
Shawn, you've seen mine. I just have the K&N cone filter. Did I already take of the resonator by putting that cone on there or is somewhere else? I have never even thought to find out where it is or how to take it off if I haven't already. Haven't really paid much attention to it....
Old 08-20-2004, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by aw89maxSE
Shawn, you've seen mine. I just have the K&N cone filter. Did I already take of the resonator by putting that cone on there or is somewhere else? I have never even thought to find out where it is or how to take it off if I haven't already. Haven't really paid much attention to it....
Na, the VG intake resonator is built into the 'midpipe'. It's the box thing on the bottom. What you have to do is cut the box part off, then plug the hole thats inside there. A tip is to use the little crap elbow thing that goes into the fender stock, it fits prefectly inside the hole. Cut off about an inch or so of the end of it then glue (or in the one I did, melt lol) the two parts together.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
Na, the VG intake resonator is built into the 'midpipe'. It's the box thing on the bottom. What you have to do is cut the box part off, then plug the hole thats inside there. A tip is to use the little crap elbow thing that goes into the fender stock, it fits prefectly inside the hole. Cut off about an inch or so of the end of it then glue (or in the one I did, melt lol) the two parts together.
Gay question, but where'e the midpipe at?...Some around the ypipe i'm guessing. Are you talkinh about that plastic I cut off the stock air box to put the K&N filter on?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:47 PM
STFU n00b!

INTAKE OR EXHAUST.

you goobers specify which one you're talking about in EACH post. you have about four conversations going on here.

And no, you don't want to remove either of them, unless you just like being loud. they provide ZERO performance increase, and in the case of the intake resonator, you'll actually LOSE power by removing it.
They were put there by nissan to reduce turbulence in the intake at cartain RPM ranges, and it will cause dips in the torque curve if it's not there. the system will develop resonances at certain RPM by the valves opening and closing, which cause nasty turbulence in the intake stream with a wavelength that corresponds to the resonator location on the intake piping.

the exhaust resonator does similar stuff, but it's 99% sound reasons on the back end of the car. the cat and the muffler provide enough backpressure on the exhaust that usually it's not an issue there- it's just loud if you don't have it.. and our cars sound pretty ricey without them.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
INTAKE OR EXHAUST.
They were put there by nissan to reduce turbulence in the intake at cartain RPM ranges, and it will cause dips in the torque curve if it's not there. the system will develop resonances at certain RPM by the valves opening and closing, which cause nasty turbulence in the intake stream with a wavelength that corresponds to the resonator location on the intake piping.
so if i have a cold air intake that has a steel mid pipe it has no resonator it's gonna make me LOSE power?? what about short ram intakes with a custom pipe? i'm gonna lose power from it?
Old 08-21-2004, 01:38 AM

I felt more midrange when I ditched the resonator.

:dunno: doesn't really matter anyway.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:12 PM

....I'm wondering what the point of the lil box on the intake we're all calling a resinator. I get a growl just by taking the box off and replacing it with a mass air filter.

If I cut and patch the lil box on the INTAKE tube, it'll growl more??? NEATO