3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Automatic Heat Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Automatic Heat Conversion

If you want to get to the point scroll down to the bottom of the page
Ok so I'm not selling anything I just need some enthusiasts info. I had both the se and gxe. Got the GXE first and hated the transmission (go figure). When I got the SE in standard the car was 10 times better. The only thing I really missed besides not being loaded with leather and all that crap was the auto heat control. I was directed to Crag's conversion directions and it gave me an idea. There must be plenty of SE owners out there that aspire to do a conversion but figure not only stripping the donor car or finding the necessary parts but the actual installation alone is a daunting task. I have noticed an abundance of 3rd Gen maxima parts in my area because of the rust issues in Rhode Island. So here is the point:

I was thinking of going through Craig's How-to page, getting the necessary parts, and setting them up properly to make an ease of installation. I have not yet done this, but I would like to spark some attention from all of you Maxima lovers. Anyone with any thoughts please speak up. I may go through all the work and put together a package regardless of user interest, and risk my time and money just to see how it goes (I would put that thread in classifieds).

So here is the question

Is there anyone out there with an SE that has wanted to tackle the automatic heat conversion but with all things considered decided to can the idea because of all the work involved. If so would having all the necessary parts tested and all in one package deal, with careful preparations and instructions make you decide to undertake the involved task?

Thanks for the input!

AJ
Old 09-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is only so much you can do outside the car, there is still gonna be a good deal of splicing and mechanical work involved inside the car. You could try to make some type of adapter harnesses to mate to the stock harnesses, but might be hard to get a hold of the correct connectors (for instance, one that would mate up to the large brown connector in the back of the manual climate control)
Old 09-06-2004, 08:26 PM

Well I'm not sure completely what you mean. As you posted in the following link
http://www.geocities.com/cbmaxima/ma...iring_mess.jpg

I would have to duplicate something like that and include it in the auction. I can get any necessary connectors at a local junk yard, as there are many maximas in the junkyard in my area. I understand this idea of mine may require a large ammount of research but I also think it is worth my time, and could be a potential profitable item for me, and useful for maxima owners. If you could be more specific with your reply that would be helpful, and any other thoughts you had would be great. If you feel this would be a complete waste of my time I would respect your opinion.

Thanks AJ
Old 09-06-2004, 08:52 PM

I would be interested in something like that, problem is, that's the last thing on my list. I'd say I MIGHT get one in 2006. The might problem being my wife. Knowing my luck on this, it'd be more around 07..... LOL

I could see possibly a quick jump of sales at first, but then it would slow down. Try getting a few made at first, I'd say about 5-10. And see how it goes then. If they go swift, and you still got orders coming, then you got yourself i nice little spot. Then you could always make up a kit upon order. Yeah it's a later delivery. But it's also good insurance. Autoleathers.com does the same thing. They build the seat covers upon order. And they always call first to confirm it.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ajdrums
Well I'm not sure completely what you mean. As you posted in the following link
http://www.geocities.com/cbmaxima/ma...iring_mess.jpg

I would have to duplicate something like that and include it in the auction. I can get any necessary connectors at a local junk yard, as there are many maximas in the junkyard in my area. I understand this idea of mine may require a large ammount of research but I also think it is worth my time, and could be a potential profitable item for me, and useful for maxima owners. If you could be more specific with your reply that would be helpful, and any other thoughts you had would be great. If you feel this would be a complete waste of my time I would respect your opinion.

Thanks AJ
As excited as I am that you're taking something I spent lots of time researching and then copying to sell and make money on for yourself, I still think there's gonna be a lot left to do inside the car. That picture just shows a small part of the wiring and pretty much the only part that we could do completely removed from the car (it was February or so and was pretty cold out). Inside the car, you'll still have to splice several wires at the main connectors for the auto amp in the three different harnesses there at the VERY least (unless you can find female connectors to match the stock male connectors so that they could just plug in an adapter harness). And of course all the mechanical stuff would still be there. Granted, I probably have more wiring experience than most of the people who would be interested in this kit, but I dont know how beneficial it would be since there is only so much you can do 'remotely'.
Do you really have access to that many cars that you could make more than one or two kits? Any estimate on pricing for this? I got all the parts (minus the main control unit) for about $40 on two occasions from some local junkyards.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:09 AM

Well if the female connectors exist on the either the se or gxe then I can splice them off an se donor car. Yes there must be at least 10 Maximas, most being GXE model in just one junkyard in my area, and I am working on a wholesale connection at a different one that has more parts avaliable. I have access to seemingly unlimited parts, and have about 6 sets of window switches I am about to list. Read my most recent post about custom or refurbished window switches. Thanks for the input, and if this works out well for me your help will be greatly rewarded.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:11 AM

Well thats a little unrealistic to make 10 sets. I think I would test the market with one or two and see how it goes, I don't want to be stuck with 10 sets!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ajdrums
Well if the female connectors exist on the either the se or gxe then I can splice them off an se donor car. Yes there must be at least 10 Maximas, most being GXE model in just one junkyard in my area, and I am working on a wholesale connection at a different one that has more parts avaliable. I have access to seemingly unlimited parts, and have about 6 sets of window switches I am about to list. Read my most recent post about custom or refurbished window switches. Thanks for the input, and if this works out well for me your help will be greatly rewarded.
The female (or I could have it backwards) connector does not exist on either the SE or GXE so that's why I'm saying it'd be hard to make a full harness. On the manual climate, there are 2 or 3 plugs that go into the back of the unit that are completely different from the auto climate. I'm saying you'd have to find mating connectors to those. Which would mean completely cutting the part of the manual climate control unit that receives this connector. Otherwise, you'll still gonna be splicing and can't just plug and play.

I have access to about 5-6 cars usually between the junkyards near me, but it's VERY rare that I find one with auto climate and especially if I can get there before all the other vultures do (I find many of them broken and left in the backseat after someone tried to be lazy and force things out and ended up breaking parts). But if you can find the parts, that'd be cool. I dont mind you selling the kits, I'm too lazy to do it myself (and dont have access to enough parts) so go for it if you can. I still haven't seen anyone besides awsm66 and I do the conversion so I'll be interesteed to see if anyone actually does it with this kit.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:44 PM

Well I understand what you mean. I would have to destroy a manual climate control and de-solder the *male* connector to make a complete harness. I would have no remorse in doing that [cannibalize the poor poor manual HVAC] because the manual climate controls are worthless on E-bay and I happen to have one in stock. As far as interest in the kit, I plan on making just one of them for now in my spare time and trying to get top dollar for it, and see how it goes. If no one wants the thing I'll box it up and save it for when I get another SE Manual transmission Maxima with low miles. Either way I like electronics projects and I feel like it may have potential and don't mind risking a little time or money playing with cars. One thing that would help me would be details on the wiring harness, and I would be willing to pay pal you some money if you have some solid technical stats (the picture doesn't help me much) Once again thanks for your time, AJ
Old 09-10-2004, 10:40 AM

hmmm.... would a GXE be pre-wired for the climate control unit?

- i.e. could the unit just be essentially dropped in without any major modifications?

-T
Old 09-10-2004, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
hmmm.... would a GXE be pre-wired for the climate control unit?

- i.e. could the unit just be essentially dropped in without any major modifications?

-T
nope, none of the GXEs I've worked on or seen at junkyards have the parts or wiring included
Old 09-10-2004, 01:48 PM
mod or sell?

they're not lucky like the power seats, being already prewired.
How much does the WHOLE system weigh?
Old 09-10-2004, 02:07 PM

all the extra parts and wiring? not that much
I'd say it would only add 5-10 lbs MAX, probably less than that.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:28 PM
mod or sell?

that ain't too bad, I still wouldn't do it but I was curious