3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

with high wattage bulbs, what melts/? about homemade harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When you guys install the high wattage 9004 what part of the factory harness seems to be melting? Is it the part the connects directly to the bulb, or the wires themselves. Secondly I installed my harness upgrade and it doesnt work properly because one bulb lights up more than the other. Also I dont like the way it looks under the hood, its to non-factory looking for me. So here is my question, what if I cut off the ends of my upgraded harness and then cut of the ends of factory harness and soldered the upgraded one were the factory one used to be?
Old 04-08-2001, 07:30 PM

harness

On mine, the bulb connector just burned. I looked like it had sparked. Lots of black plastic and loose connectors.

Nissan wiring is remarkably thin. So your idea of soldering is sound. Solder connections (good ones that is) rule. However, don't put the main connectors with thicker wires to the thinner ones of the factory harness. Use the old harness power to steer the relays. I have read about people having problems with the relays which was resolved by replacing them with Bosch or equivalent.

I share your view of it not looking factory, which is why I want to make my own and route it where it makes sense. I will do so as soon as I find a place that sells the connectors that look like the end of a 9004 bulb so I can plug in. If I can't, I will solder the connections.

Good luck,
John
Old 04-08-2001, 07:45 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: harness

to get your harness you might just have to gut out a 9004 bulb. you use one socket to switch the relays. buy yourself a dual relay socket. it comes pretty much pre wired (ie the relay input will switch both relays). you need to get extra wiring (i used 10ga). you can pick up some 9004 harness and wire them to the relays. u don't need to solder but i did get waterproof butt connector that has solder in it when heated and the outside is a shrink wrap. works great. also good idea to get regular shrink tubing w/ sealant in it. a few ring termals and you're done. good luck.

Originally posted by John van de Pol
On mine, the bulb connector just burned. I looked like it had sparked. Lots of black plastic and loose connectors.

Nissan wiring is remarkably thin. So your idea of soldering is sound. Solder connections (good ones that is) rule. However, don't put the main connectors with thicker wires to the thinner ones of the factory harness. Use the old harness power to steer the relays. I have read about people having problems with the relays which was resolved by replacing them with Bosch or equivalent.

I share your view of it not looking factory, which is why I want to make my own and route it where it makes sense. I will do so as soon as I find a place that sells the connectors that look like the end of a 9004 bulb so I can plug in. If I can't, I will solder the connections.

Good luck,
John