3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I Think It's Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 04:29 PM

I Think It's Dead!

I have a 92 maxima gxe auto and i posted a previos thread about it not starting. Many stated that since i had to jump the battery it could be an alternator prob. I went and tried to start the car again today and had to jump it. I tested the battery before and it gave out around 8 volts but once i jumped the car and tested it again while running it read around 14 volts with multiple accesories running. When i went to put it into drive which took quite a bit of work it died. After many other tries and the same results i gave up for the day. Also when i was testing the charge on the bAtt. i noticed there was a belt missing that looks like it connects to the air conditioning compressor or something "It is above the alternator" i wonder if that could be a prob. Also when the car was running it was idling a little high aroun 1000 rpm and i noticed the radiator fan wouldn't turn on. Is the fan electric or what. I checked multiple fuses and can not find whats wrong. And to make it all worth while some punk through ab rock at the winshield and made a pretty little mark on the upper left corner. Help me guys, because if i can't get it running i may have to post it for sale on the forum!
Old 09-16-2004, 05:38 PM

does anyone wanna help a fellow max owner?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sounds like you need a new battery try that and let us know if you still have the same problem

about the missing bolt you either need a picture or be way more discriptive because i can think of about 20 or so bolt above the altenator by the AC compressor
Old 09-16-2004, 06:02 PM

its a missing belt above the alternator. The battery is somewhat new. When my sister drove the car she would be driving and the car would die when yuo would decelerate while driving. I couldn't even move the car today after a year of sitting. It has a battery that isn't even 2 years old but after sitting for so long i guess. Please post any ideas- small or big. Educated guesses are even worth my time. thanks so much. this forum is fogging great!
Old 09-16-2004, 06:06 PM

also when i tried to start it after the first time i jumped it without jumping it again when i turned the key and it cranked it made a really bad noise abou 2 secs after i stopped truning the key. After trying to start it without a jump a couple of times it would just click. I barely got my window back up and the seat belt wouldn't even move back!
Old 09-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Way out West

Just take your car to Pep Boys or Autozone or NAPA, where they will test your electrical system for you. They will test your battery and alternator for free.

Since we can't help you with very well without looking at the car in person, you might want to take it to a mechanic and have them diagnose your problem. It could be something simple like a loose wire or a alternator that's going out. I think it would be wise to see what the problem is before you just off and sell the car. A car that doesn't run/drive isn't exactly one that is going to sell for high blue book.

Your fans will only turn on when it is necessary, as they are electronically controlled. Sometimes they won't turn on at all, especially if it's cool out or you are not driving it hard. Did you notice if your car's temperature was rising? Since you can't seem to keep your car running for very long, it probably hasn't built up enough temperature to require the fans to cool it off.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sounds like a bad battery. Once the car was running, you were probably measuring alternator output, not true battery voltage. Could still be the alternator too. As for the fans, it could be a sensor problem- if you let it run long enough to get hot enough for them to turn on. What's the story about being difficult to get into drive?
Old 09-16-2004, 06:30 PM

Yeah, i will go buy a battery tommorow and see if thats the prob. do you guys have any suggestions with natt. make? #With the tran. staement, when i went to put the car from P to D it was really hesitant and when i finally got it into drive and i pushed on the gas it died. But remember! tHIS CAR HAS SAT FOR ABOUT A YEAR BUT DUE TO ME BEING A POOR STUDENT I COULDN'T LOOK AT IT! I have an 89 ramcharger that i drove in the winters so i just drove that but paying for gas in that truck has made me even more broke and i miss my max alot so i will give it a shot. Could it be the plugs. I just replaced the cap but im automotively inclined " I'm retarded" not really but i no jack about cars. thanks. keep on trying to help the newbies!
Old 09-16-2004, 07:19 PM

Red92MaxSE is probably right at this point. It might be easier to have someone diagnose it for you. Autozone does it for free, but the car has to be able to start and run for them to do it. One thing for sure, though, if the car sat for a year, chances are good that the battery is dead. I'll bet that's at least part of your problem.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:48 PM

ok, thanks! any other ideas! i think it may be th 02 sensor. Thats what happened with my 89 ramcharger when i was driving it would die, just like the max. Does anyone know where to get a good battery for a good price and just overall cheap automotive parts?!
Old 09-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dude it dont matter if your batterys only 2 years old if your car sat for a year with battery connected its going to be dead. maybe you could just charge it up but its doubful

other thing is the gas is over a year old and your car aint gona run good on old stale gas. so that another problem

and since your shifter hasnt been moved for a year it might of been frozen up and that made it hard to shift

seriosly it doesnt sound like your very machanicle so your besat bet is to take it somwhere

and the AC belt not beeing on will not affect the way the car runs

and im not sure why i thought belt was bolt but forgive me
Old 09-17-2004, 01:59 PM

the car is 13 years old and ir has 213k on it.why would i pay someone to work on a peice of ****e?
Old 09-17-2004, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by westy92max
ok, thanks! any other ideas! i think it may be th 02 sensor. Thats what happened with my 89 ramcharger when i was driving it would die, just like the max. Does anyone know where to get a good battery for a good price and just overall cheap automotive parts?!
Any non-dealership parts house will have decent pricing. I don't know what stores you have up there, but places like Autozone, Pepboys, Checker Auto, Kragens's, O'Reilly Auto, etc...are some of the ones I can think of. Look in the yellow pages, for a start.

BTW-subs100w has good points. Sometimes sitting around is harder on a car than if you drive it hard every day. Seals dry out, gas goes bad, corrosion sets in on things like brake rotors, batteries die, etc, etc...so, it's not surprising that you are having problems with it. The only reason we suggest having someone look at it is that there ar so many things that could be wrong with it (or a combination of things) that you could spend a lot of time changing out parts before you found everything. Especially since by your own admission you aren't all that up on cars. Just our opinion, of course.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:32 PM

how much do you think it would cost to have someone just look at it? I'm guessing $100? well thanks so much guys. i won't post stupid threads for you elders anymore. thanks!

WESTY92MAX!!